Author Topic: Convert Zentyal from addiotnal DC  (Read 1281 times)

adamb

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Convert Zentyal from addiotnal DC
« on: January 09, 2015, 01:00:23 pm »
Hey all.  We are looking to have zentyal 3.5 take over as our DC.  We set it up as a additional DC to our current windows DC.  Then we migrated to it as the main.  My question is, its still setup as an "additional" dc.  I would like to change the hostname but because its setup as an addiotinal DC it won't let me.  Is there anyway to now set it as just a DC and change the hostname.  We are really only using this as a DC, DHCP and DNS server.   Is it as simple as going into the DC section and changing it from additional to just dc?  I appreciate the input!

kirkdaddy

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Convert Zentyal from addiotnal DC
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2015, 03:59:01 pm »
I could be wrong and I hope someone mentions so before you have a chance to do anything that could cause your problems but as I have been messing with the DC settings in Zentyal recently with the changes and configuration I've been trying to implement, I have run across a command. If you type "/usr/share/zentyal/unconfigure-module samba" in a terminal at/on the machine, it will unconfigure those settings giving you an option to select DC, Additional DC, or the option to simply read the DC information. Hope this helps.

IntOverflow

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Convert Zentyal from addiotnal DC
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2015, 11:52:20 pm »
I have an idea, but I don't know if it is a good idea :)

I would transfer the fsmo roles to zentyal. Now your Zentyal AD is the main AD. You should take a look at these commands:
'samba-tool fsmo transfer' AND 'samba-tool fsmo seize'

See: https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Flexible_Single-Master_Operations_%28FSMO%29_roles

Now you can shutdown your other AD. All data will be on the Zentyal AD.
Maybe you have to install DNS on Zentyal, if your old AD was DNS too.