Author Topic: outlook 2010 push issues  (Read 3610 times)

shiftenterprises

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
outlook 2010 push issues
« on: December 09, 2014, 10:23:06 pm »
I have installed zentyal community 4.0 with all updates everything works the way its supposed to expect for 1 thing.
Outlook2010 will not update anything unless i close out of outlook and reopen, even if i hit send receive nothing. I did notice if i click a folder and go back to the inbox it updates, but that is not acceptable.

I have installed zpush for active sync and push works on my iphone instantly with no issues.

Also i did noticed that it takes the webmail portal a bit as well to update inbox and what not.

what can i do to fix this? 

papajulio

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Monk
    • View Profile
Re: outlook 2010 push issues
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2014, 10:08:19 am »
In outlook 2010 and 2013 you need to activate and configure the "Send and Receive Group" so the button works properly an as expected.

Cheers!!
--
Julio José García Martín - QA Engineer

shiftenterprises

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2014, 04:09:05 pm »
So are you saying that the push feature from exchange will not work and they have to update maunally?
not auto?

gofast321

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2014, 01:16:26 am »
I'm having the same issue with Office 2013. I thought this bug was supposed to be fixed in Zentyal 4?

I would love to implement the commercial version of Zentyal because I really like the idea of Zentyal but this bug is such a fundamental/basic flaw that there is no way any company could implement this. If I was managing development at Zentyal, every developer would be working on this bug until it was fixed. There are no other bugs as important as this.  Especially now that OpenChange is the main focus for Zentyal.

This bug is like buying a car and being told you have to get out of it and back in every time you come to a stop sign.

bigodox

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2014, 10:40:18 am »
I have the same problem with outlook 2013.

It´s a big problem from our company.

Thx

shiftenterprises

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2014, 03:48:01 pm »
Okay, how do we go about reporting this as a bug? or something cause i really want this fixed!!!

shiftenterprises

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2014, 05:34:25 pm »
https://tracker.zentyal.org/issues/2747

Please everyone post about this on the tracker, lets hope they change it!!

line5

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • Line5
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2015, 12:10:50 pm »
Thanks for opening the issue @shiftenterprises. We have been watching the Bug https://tracker.zentyal.org/issues/2747 in the tracker since we have tried out Zentyal, and - like you - are still waiting for the fix.

Same as for you guys, for our customer such a "solution" like pushing the send + receive button would not be acceptable. Somebody has suggested another workaround, like manually setting the interval of checking Outlook mailboxes to 1 minute. This might be feasible for a 5-persons company, but I can hardly imagine any admin who wants to go back to the times where it an admin was necessary in order to setup an email account in Outlook.

There has been an update to the bug, just a few days ago, mentioning that the bug is going to be fixed, but only in the commercial version. This makes me angry, although we would offer nothing but the commercial version to our customers. If this bug is as complicated as Zentyal says (open for 5 months), it might need extensive community tests to give customers confidence.

Advertising on the Zentyal front page says: "Zentyal is the first ever provider of Fully native Microsoft® Exchange protocol compatibility to the worldwide messaging and collaboration market". The other slogan on the front page promotes a conference, sponsored by Microsoft, saying "Where protocols talk openly together". - From these slogans I would assume that Zentyal does everything possible in order to achieve maximum compatibility with Outlook as well as involving the community. The bug updater unfortunately seems to have a different perspective.

However, let's think about how to fix this with a workaround. The community also has to do its part to being open and adapting to issues.

The question first sounds simple to me, but I did not do any research yet. Can we configure Outlook remotely or via script in the right way? - I can imagine that a logon script could set registry settings, or maybe even a group policy could solve the problem. Does anyone know where Outlook stores these settings, and how exactly it does? The "send & receive" itself can obviously be triggered programmatically (https://www.add-in-express.com/creating-addins-blog/2011/10/05/outlook-send-receive-programmatically/) - so it even might be feasible to code a windows service which is notified by a server-side piece of software whenever new emails arrive (or checks it via IMAP ;-)) - and then triggers a send & receive. Sounds complicated as a process, but is quite few effort to code, and who knows, it might solve it!

If anyone has more suggestions, please let us discuss these here. We are definitely up for doing some hands-on work in terms of coding.

If the task could be automated, and thus would not be a manual admin task anymore, it might be an acceptable bug at least for a while. Do you agree?
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 12:38:15 pm by line5 »

ocset

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2015, 03:35:08 pm »
Has anyone read this article https://medium.com/@jkerihuel/openchange-asynchronous-notifications-7f404f7ac374

Seems Openchange has only just implemented a proper Asynchronous solution as was intended by Microsoft.

How long until this can be added to Zentyal?

tamuin

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2015, 12:37:22 am »
If anyone has outlook 2013 they could try configuring outlook to use activesync (EAS) instead of outlook anywhere (OWA).

This article explains how to do it.

http://ifix4you.com.my/hot-news/item/77-how-to-connect-exchange-activesync-z-push-or-other-eas-server-with-outlook-2013.html

I don't have outlook 2013 so I can't try.

As an aside, I find it disappointing that Zentyal won't fix the bug for the community version, I don't think they have thought that one through.

tamuin

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2015, 04:47:46 pm »

Please everyone post about this on the tracker, lets hope they change it!!

They just updated/closed this item on the tracker.  It looks like they will only be implementing this on the paid version.  They have a free trial to the paid version and I suspect that they are not all that interested in having people try out the community edition and moving to the paid version - there is no way to upgrade and they are not implementing a number of the bug fixes/features in the community edition.

line5

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • Line5
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2015, 07:22:09 pm »
Our customer read all this and decided to not choose Zentyal. Bad luck, because they were quite convinced before (commercial version!), so that we took the certification path. :(

kartweel

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2015, 04:59:34 am »
I keep coming back to Zentyal over and over (the community version) to see how it is going. And every time I find some stupid bugs that make it not worth the effort. It also really puts me off the possibility of trying the commercial version.

I take it Zentyal have no interest in the community version, it is just that, a community version (for the community to test and fix?)

I also don't like the subscription model of the commercial version. It is cheaper to get a MS server (and based off my experience with the community version, a LOT less hassle!).

Sorry Zentyal!, I like the idea of it, but always just seems to go 90% of the way. Looks good in theory, but in practice it is quite a nightmare to use...

It also seems the community isn't really a thriving one, so community support is pretty much a no go.

Sorry, just negative experience after negative and I'm losing hope!

seteq

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2015, 01:26:41 am »
I just tried to find out why my outlook test-clients are not syncing properly and found the strage replies of the zentyal team on bug #2747:

ARE YOU GUYS F*ING SERIOUS?

I have been coming back to Zentyal every few months to see how it has improved, but these answers and the fact that Openchange-Accounts can only be activated for users inside the CN=Users Container has rendered Zentyal completely useless as Exchange Server replacement in my opinion. And if you can not satisfy people with the community versions nobody will even take notice about your commercial options.
Outlook does not receive any incoming messages when it says "connected to exchange" in the status line - That's still a bug with no fix available.

I really like the idea of supporting opensource-developers, but you just don't seem to deserve it - I'm sorry!

Giblet535

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2015, 04:25:31 pm »
Zentyal doesn't work with Outlook in Exchange mode. IMAP, sure. POP3, sure. Zentyal says it works in Exchange mode, but it doesn't as you can easily see.

There is hearsay that the paid and demo versions supports Outlook in Exchange mode, but I'm not going to pay to find out.