Author Topic: INSTALL FAILURE libebox with different distros??????  (Read 3384 times)

VaineDragon

• Zen Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Den
INSTALL FAILURE libebox with different distros??????
« on: December 06, 2009, 05:15:50 pm »
since all of my recent issues with my ebox server 1.2.2.4 with many of the modules failing one after the other, I decided to do yet another Full Clean Reinstall from the ground up.

No go.

1. 1.2.2 Fails when installing ebox the /tmp/ebox-install.log says the same thing that libebox failed to install?

2. 1.2.2.5 Same issue

3. 1.3.10.2 You guessed it SAME......

Here is the entire ebox-installer.log for my 3rd failed attempt with 1.3

I uploaded the file to this url.

http://files.ofile.com/ofile?controller=Share&action=shareFile&key=a3ec6dd8d538712a581e5b24726ce062
“ If you look into the eye of the storm, and see nothing, Well I guess you better step aside, thus is the truth of your lack of reason. ”

VaineDragon

• Zen Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Den
Re: INSTALL FAILURE libebox with different distros??????
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2009, 11:04:09 pm »
After 7 tries I got it to work, and none of the ISO's worked always the same error libebox it's in the log I posted in the URL above.

What I had to do was a base install Ubuntu Server 8.04 Hardy AMD64, the sudo apt-get install ebox-all. That took sometime, when finished I had to manually enable every module from the web interface, and that took even longer because they kept crashing the ldap server.

Now it sorta works, I can't get Jabber, Printer Sharing, Mail but low and behold egroupware works now. By the way this is 1.3.10.2 I could not get any of the 1.2 stuff to install at all and I mean at all.

Can anyone tell what is going on?????
“ If you look into the eye of the storm, and see nothing, Well I guess you better step aside, thus is the truth of your lack of reason. ”

J. A. Calvo

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
    • http://blogs.zentyal.org/jacalvo
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2009, 01:33:02 pm »
Hi,

First of all, there is no problem with libebox, that's not an error. When the installation fails for any reason, it always purges libebox in order to left the system clean. Like if you were installed a regular Ubuntu Server. That's the reason why you didn't need to install Ubuntu Server. You could have login into the console right after the installation failed and have installed ebox as if you were doing it with an Ubuntu Server, editing the /etc/apt/sources.list and using apt-get install.

So you don't need to try it seven times, if it fails the first or the second time, the best you can do is fix the installation manually, you will lose much less time with that method.

Second, the real error that you are getting in the log you attach is that the dahdi-modules package can not be found. But I don't know why is that, I've tested the uploaded installer (1.3.10-2) several times and it always copies that package to /var/cache/apt/archives during the first stage of the installation and installs without problem in the second one. Maybe it's possible that the copy during the first stage is failing due to a read error with the CD or something like that, but I don't know. Have you checked that the .iso is downloaded correctly (md5sum)? Or maybe the CD is not well-burnt...

If you have any other useful data, like which packages have you selected or something like that it would be nice. But as I said, I can't reproduce that because the package that is missing in your installation is never missing in my tests.

Sorry for any inconvenience, we try to do our best but it's impossible for us to try our installers with all the possible configurations or in any hardware. Anyway, thank you very much for testing eBox.
Zentyal Server Lead Developer

VaineDragon

• Zen Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Den
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2009, 03:47:10 pm »
All that aside, last night I got it installed via the manual method. 1.2.2-5 sudo apt-get install ebox-all, all the module appear to be running, the only thing that works at this point from what I can tell is the File Sharing, Web, Jabber, Mail DynDNS all not responding at this point.

I understand and appreciate your help, but this very frustrating when one minute all was well and the next modules are apparently working but not accepting connections.

Now the support at dnspark say I have a routing issue with my server, that's why the DNS is no longer working.

jsalamero

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2009, 06:59:09 pm »
when you say no responding is not enough if you expect some help, we need more details: configurations, logs, scenarios, connection attempts, etc. anyway, something really weird is going on on your ebox, nobody else can reproduce your issues.

VaineDragon

• Zen Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Den
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2009, 05:59:56 am »
Yeah I'm lucky like that.
Regarding the dahdi-modules package, every install I have done so far via CD/ISO or Manual says that "dahdi-modules package  is missing" how do I manually install that so this nightmare will be over?

And if it's logs you want, please let me know what to send you, and I don't know if this is part of the problem but ddclient seems to be having issues connecting to dnspark.com

All I know is that now I can't get web page to come up and as far as I can tell my DNS is correct.

J. A. Calvo

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2009, 01:38:06 pm »
Have a look at this to install dahdi-modules manually:

http://forum.ebox-platform.com/index.php?topic=2394.0

They are already available in the 1.3 ppa in addition to jsalamero's one:

Code: [Select]
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/ebox/1.3/ubuntu hardy main
deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/ebox/1.3/ubuntu hardy main

VaineDragon

• Zen Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Den
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2009, 03:21:51 am »
The above fix took care of the dadhi error, it does not seem to help with all the other issues?

When attempting to add firewall exclusions the module crashed. It has done the same type of module crashes when attempting to enable DynDNS, Mail, Web Server, Jabber. I can verify that all the DNS is correct and I can connect to the DynDNS server www.dnspark.com and ipdetect.com from the console.

How can I help you help me with these issues, logs, access to the server, tell me how to help you help.

VaineDragon

• Zen Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Den
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2009, 04:15:29 pm »
Here is the ebox.log as of this morning after yet another clean install from an old 1.2 disc, which is the only one at this point I didn't have to manually install. I have been watching the ebox.log with the tail -f command, and it seems to fail when I try to setup ddclient, samba users, firewall.

Please look at this latest log and tell me I'm not as stupid as I feel right now, after 4 days of trying I would think it might work one time? Unless this box is just totally hosed, and believe me I have run all the test utility's I can find and so far no issues with hardware.

http://files.ofile.com/ofile?controller=Share&action=shareFile&key=88479e328a8633f54e9c667651832fbc
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 04:23:20 pm by VaineDragon »

J. A. Calvo

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2009, 04:34:08 pm »
There seems to be something wrong with your installation. Please attach the output of the following commands:

Code: [Select]
dpkg -l | grep slapd
dpkg -l | grep ebox
/etc/init.d/slapd restart

VaineDragon

• Zen Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Den
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2009, 04:54:32 pm »
Here you go. And this is a clean install 18 I believe.

root@dragon-server:~# dpkg -l | grep slapd
ii  slapd                                 2.4.9-0ubuntu0.8.04.3                         OpenLDAP server (slapd)
root@dragon-server:~# dpkg -l | grep ebox
ii  ebox                                  1.2.2-0ubuntu1~ppa1~hardy1                    the eBox platform - Base framework
ii  ebox-antivirus                        1.2-0ubuntu1~ppa1~hardy1                      eBox - Antivirus module
ii  ebox-asterisk                         1.2-0ubuntu1~ppa1~hardy1                      eBox - Asterisk
ii  ebox-ca                               1.2-0ubuntu1~ppa1~hardy1                      eBox - Certificate Authority Manager for eBo
ii  ebox-dhcp                             1.2-0ubuntu1~ppa1~hardy1                      eBox - DHCP server module
ii  ebox-dns                              1.2-0ubuntu1~ppa1~hardy1                      eBox - DNS server
ii  ebox-ebackup                          1.2-0ubuntu1~ppa1~hardy1                      eBox - Backup
ii  ebox-egroupware                       1.2-0ubuntu1~ppa1~hardy1                      eBox - eGroupware
ii  ebox-firewall                         1.2-0ubuntu1~ppa1~hardy1                      eBox - Firewall
ii  ebox-ids                              1.2-0ubuntu1~ppa1~hardy1                      eBox - Intrusion Detection System
ii  ebox-jabber                           1.2-0ubuntu1~ppa1~hardy1                      eBox - Instant messaging (Jabber)
ii  ebox-l7-protocols                     1.2-0ubuntu1~ppa1~hardy1                      eBox - layer 7 protocols
ii  ebox-mail                             1.2-0ubuntu1~ppa1~hardy1                      eBox - Mail server
ii  ebox-mailfilter                       1.2-0ubuntu1~ppa1~hardy1                      eBox - Mail filter module
ii  ebox-monitor                          1.2-0ubuntu1~ppa1~hardy1                      eBox - Monitoring module
ii  ebox-network                          1.2.2-0ubuntu1~ppa1~hardy1                    eBox - Network configuration module
ii  ebox-ntp                              1.2-0ubuntu1~ppa1~hardy1                      eBox - NTP server
ii  ebox-objects                          1.2-0ubuntu1~ppa1~hardy1                      eBox - Object management
ii  ebox-openvpn                          1.2-0ubuntu1~ppa1~hardy1                      eBox - OpenVPN server module
ii  ebox-printers                         1.2-0ubuntu1~ppa1~hardy1                      eBox - Printer sharing
ii  ebox-samba                            1.2.1-0ubuntu1~ppa1~hardy1                    eBox - File sharing
ii  ebox-services                         1.2-0ubuntu1~ppa1~hardy1                      eBox - Services management
ii  ebox-software                         1.2-0ubuntu1~ppa1~hardy1                      eBox - Software management
ii  ebox-squid                            1.2.1-0ubuntu1~ppa1~hardy1                    eBox - Proxy cache and content filter
ii  ebox-trafficshaping                   1.2-0ubuntu1~ppa1~hardy1                      eBox - Traffic shaper for eBox
ii  ebox-usersandgroups                   1.2.1-0ubuntu1~ppa1~hardy1                    eBox - User and Group management
ii  ebox-webserver                        1.2-0ubuntu1~ppa1~hardy1                      eBox - Web Server
ii  esofttool                             0.5.4                                         ebox software tool
ii  libebox                               1.2-0ubuntu1~ppa1~hardy1                      eBox common library for server and client
ii  samba-vscan                           0.3.6cbeta5ebox1-2                            Samba virus scanning VFS module
root@dragon-server:~# /etc/init.d/slapd restart
Stopping OpenLDAP: slapd.
Starting OpenLDAP: slapd.
root@dragon-server:~#
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 05:22:15 pm by VaineDragon »

J. A. Calvo

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2009, 08:40:20 pm »
Show us also the output of "top" or "ps aux" and "free -m". Tell us any info about your hardware (RAM, CPU, free disk space...)

J. A. Calvo

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2009, 08:44:07 pm »
By the way, your eBox version is not up-to-date. Try "apt-get install" and "apt-get upgrade". If this doesn't work check if you have the line for our 1.2 ppa in the /etc/apt/sources.list file.

VaineDragon

• Zen Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Den
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2009, 09:53:54 pm »
Yeah I know it's an old 1.2 image, OK here is the info. The system consists of an AMD +3500 single core 64 bit processor, 3.25 Gigabytes of DDR Ram, Hard Drive is a Seagate 750 Gigabyte and it's clean all space dedicated to ebox.

Oh I have done apt-get update many times to no avail. Here is the line in the sources.list
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/ebox/1.2/ubuntu hardy main
And when I attempt to launch the Software Update module that also either crashed or said it was locked by eBox. Here is the error Software management is currently locked by ebox-software. Please, try again later

It was too big to post I uploaded it here.

http://files.ofile.com/ofile?controller=Share&action=shareFile&key=109f91266ef89cc3690079b28abfe9a3

J. A. Calvo

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2009, 10:08:41 pm »
Have you added a user called "ebox" during the installation?

Maybe you can join the IRC channel and let us access the machine via SSH to diagnose the problem.