Author Topic: Calendars and Tasks location on Server? (Zentyal - OpenChange - SoGo)  (Read 9082 times)

shadowfire

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile

Could someone lead me to the correct location Zentyal server where the Calendars are for OpenChange/SoGo for Zentyal?

I want to know it so I can start backing it up.

Thanks,
-SF-

Mittelerde

• Zen Warrior
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 04:06:47 pm by Mittelerde »

royceb

Re: Calendars and Tasks location on Server? (Zentyal - OpenChange - SoGo)
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2014, 04:46:30 pm »
I don't think it was a matter of asking how does one access their own Calendar/Tasks via SoGo but where on the Zentyal file system does the program store this data so they can make redundant backups of the items themselves.  I'm still waiting on the documentation Shadowfire (the official one that I can purchase) and would assume that information will be available there.

shadowfire

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2014, 01:30:10 am »
I don't think it was a matter of asking how does one access their own Calendar/Tasks via SoGo but where on the Zentyal file system does the program store this data so they can make redundant backups of the items themselves.  I'm still waiting on the documentation Shadowfire (the official one that I can purchase) and would assume that information will be available there.

Royceb,

Thanks - that is exactly what I meant.  Glad someone understood.  Does anyone know?

Thanks,

-SF-

mandarine

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2014, 11:55:21 am »
i think it is the dovecot module, or maybe they are stored in the sql database

shadowfire

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2014, 01:54:25 pm »
i think it is the dovecot module, or maybe they are stored in the sql database

Mandarine,

I have seen something about that possibility of it being dovcot module/sql database.  Still I need a SOLID location from the Developer/Tech's.  I am asking for this information so I can do backup for my calendar's and task's and stuff.. so I don't loose them. (I cannot backup or have a backup solution if I don't know where the target is to backup)  I didn't realize that it would be so hard to get an answer on this subject.  There should be quick and easy explanation about location and methods of how to back that location/type of file/data to be backup.

This really shouldn't be a very hard question to answer.  This should also be a priority question to be answer for your users/community/customers.

Thanks,

-SF

jbahillo

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2014, 08:05:29 pm »
Hello:

All calendars and related stuff are placed in MySQL database. Personal contacs addressbook are as well there

shadowfire

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2014, 03:27:24 pm »
 jbahillo,

Ok. Thanks for half of the information.  ( I asked the following -  there should be quick and easy explanation about *location* and *methods of how to back* that *location/type* of *file/data* to be backup.)

So, no offence, but this is how good products die... if you know the process, the program, and how to get to them, it is so much easier to just place it in your post.  I mean, seriously, I do, when I figure things out so that I can help others, I don't know why everyone has to make it cloak and dagger or mystical.

I don't have time to get in to Phpmyadmin and check my find with what I found, but I think it is the one.

Anyway, since no one wants to offer that info, I believe I found it for Zentyal - For those also needing a location (and correct me if I am wrong):

Code: [Select]
/usr/share/mysql
and the file is called:

mysql_system_tables_data.sql
If that is the correct one, hopefully this will help someone.  When I get back today I will checking it out and give an update to what is in that SQL file,

Thanks,

-SF-
« Last Edit: November 02, 2014, 03:29:13 pm by shadowfire »

half_life

• Bug Hunter
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2014, 06:24:39 pm »
See my post for more information in this forum post https://forum.zentyal.org/index.php/topic,23689.0.html 

If you insist on doing a file level backup,  you must backup the /var/lib/mysql directory + subdirectories.  It must be done with the database stopped.

If you have your database setup on LVM you can flush with read lock and take a snapshot.  (although if you had customized things in this way I doubt you would be needing me to inform you of this :-)   )

shadowfire

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2014, 05:42:16 am »
jbahillo,

Ok. Thanks for half of the information.  ( I asked the following -  there should be quick and easy explanation about *location* and *methods of how to back* that *location/type* of *file/data* to be backup.)

So, no offence, but this is how good products die... if you know the process, the program, and how to get to them, it is so much easier to just place it in your post.  I mean, seriously, I do, when I figure things out so that I can help others, I don't know why everyone has to make it cloak and dagger or mystical.

I don't have time to get in to Phpmyadmin and check my find with what I found, but I think it is the one.

Anyway, since no one wants to offer that info, I believe I found it for Zentyal - For those also needing a location (and correct me if I am wrong):

/usr/share/mysql
and the file is called:

mysql_system_tables_data.sql
If that is the correct one, hopefully this will help someone.  When I get back today I will checking it out and give an update to what is in that SQL file,

Thanks,

-SF-

Okay... So I finally got a chance to chase down the ghost.  This Zentyal and OpenChange using MySQL and having NO EASY WAY to get to the data, export, import it and back it up???

I am having to use Phpmyadmin to "TRY" and find the location of Calendar, Contacts and Tasks?  WHAT THE HECK is this bull!  Can someone please explain in what Universe of smart people would they leave out the Documentation, Tools and Backup procedures to keep your data safe from corruption or failure?  What about migrating the data out or in?

I wasted most of my day with Zentyal today getting Phpmyadmin working and looking in Zentyal Databases... Yes Databases for those items.  I am still looking!

I found the Databases under - 
/var/lib/mysql/  and directories + subdirectories

Enough is Enough!  I need someone to come clean with good helpful documentation and help.

Thanks,

-SF-
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 05:50:11 am by shadowfire »

shadowfire

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2014, 06:03:50 am »
Hello:

All calendars and related stuff are placed in MySQL database. Personal contacs addressbook are as well there

Okay Mr. Jbahillo,

Could you please tell me where in:

/var/lib/mysql/   (and directories + subdirectories)

is the Calendar/Contacts/Task?

When I am in Phpmyadmin -

What database?-

IMysql
OpenChange
Sogo
Zentyal

For those who have to mess with Phpmyadmin to help with the short comings of Zentyal 3.  To find you're root/user password for Mysql  -

Go to terminal and type the following:

nano /var/lib/zentyal/conf/zentyal-mysql-passwd
Hope this helps someone!

Thanks,

-SF-

jbahillo

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2014, 11:06:03 am »
Hello:

All calendars + contacts stuff are included in sogo database. As you may imagine this is not in a single table, but in several of them (inside this sogo database) which are correlated.

shadowfire

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2014, 12:54:19 am »
Hello:

All calendars + contacts stuff are included in sogo database. As you may imagine this is not in a single table, but in several of them (inside this sogo database) which are correlated.

What?  Are you being serious?  Okay sir... this is silly?  You guys are being so vague about the answers for Zentyal data?  WHERE IN THE SOGO DATABASE?  I feel like I have to be my own detective on figuring things out on Zentyal and OpenChange/Sogo.  Why are you guys making it so hard for Admins/IT who use your product to use it properly??

So I guess I am back to this question "Is there NO EASY WAY administrator the email / contacts / calendar / task to get to the data, export, import it and back it up???"

and if so what is it and how?

How would I find, extract,  export my calendar from the Sogo Database?

Thanks,

-SF-
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 12:59:52 am by shadowfire »

fasttech

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2014, 01:10:02 am »
LOL!
Welcome to Zentyal, where the community is a couple of people, support is rare and the developers have... other things to do.

I can't answer your question, but, if it was me, and it's what I do with ownCloud, which keeps the calendar in the database, is to use the client to export / backup the calendar, instead of trying to do it at the server, note, I run my servers in vm's and just keep copies of the whole thing, it's way easier than trying to waste time with duplicity, etc, though I do have some rsync scripts for the mail stores and shares.

shadowfire

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2014, 01:42:56 am »
LOL!
Welcome to Zentyal, where the community is a couple of people, support is rare and the developers have... other things to do.

I can't answer your question, but, if it was me, and it's what I do with ownCloud, which keeps the calendar in the database, is to use the client to export / backup the calendar, instead of trying to do it at the server, note, I run my servers in vm's and just keep copies of the whole thing, it's way easier than trying to waste time with duplicity, etc, though I do have some rsync scripts for the mail stores and shares.

Thanks fasttech for out of the box solution.  I appreciate the thought process and help.  I was hoping that tools would be available to work with this stuff built in to Zentyal and OpenChange/Sogo that would make it easy to import/export/migrate and backup.  This is proving to be a sad situation for Zentyal.  I really like the way Zentyal has been working and how it works with Thunderbird and such... but now with them trying to make this a Exchange alternative and it is missing some very important feature for Calendar/Tasks/and Contacts to get to the data... and they are taking away alot of Zentyal functionality that they had setup as an all-in-one server it is proving to good to be true that this will help my clients.  I have a feeling I will be looking of alterntives to Zentyal soon - and that in itself is SAD and a shame since I would rather it be what I would perfer to stick with.

I will probably be moving the Calendaring to the Radicale calendar and contact Server.  It seems to have a less MYSQL server solution to my problem and seems I will be able to get to the data and import it and export it with out major hassle.

If I am missing something... someone please let me know. 

Thanks,

-SF-