Author Topic: 2nd Hard Drive not seen  (Read 1753 times)

c.shinneman

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
2nd Hard Drive not seen
« on: September 26, 2014, 12:27:21 pm »
Hey all,

So I am really new to Linux.  I installed Zentyal on my Server and am running a DC and AD. 

My physical machine has two hard drives in it.  However, I cannot find the path to the 2nd hard drive, which is a brand new hard drive but it was installed and registered in the BIOS prior to installing Zentyal.  How can I mount that 2nd hard drive, format it (partition it) and set up backups to it? 

I tried setting up backups through Zentyal WebAdmin, but I could not figure it out for the life of me. Probably because I am not used to Linux-based pathways, command lines, etc.

I would like to use the second hard drive to backup the C:/ drives of all my computers on my domain as well as the main drive of the Zentyal Server.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a ton! 

PS, I have tried installing PartedMagic and GParted into Zentyal by using the apt-get install command.  However, when I click on the icon for either program after install using the actual Zentyal Machine (not the Web Admin portal), nothing happens...nothing.  It just sits there. I have also tried using Bacula and BackupPC on Zentyal, but I think I installed/configured it all wrong so I just reinstalled Zentyal from scratch and recreated my DC and AD with all my users and computers.

Chris

Gopher

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: 2nd Hard Drive not seen
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2014, 05:08:47 pm »
Zentyal doesn't have much in the way of disk manage in it web management interface. So you can basically google how to locate format and mount drives in Ubuntu and then apply that to Zentyal.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/InstallingANewHardDrive once you have the drive mounted you can use it as you please.
I have seen a few people report some GUI programs do not load when their icon is clicked, maybe try invoking them form the command line, that way you may be able to see any errors.
Of course if you are running a domain with roaming profiles you could argue there is less need to backup the machines as the user data is stored on the server anyway.
You could also look at BURP, so you get VSS like bacula without the complexity

Gopher

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: 2nd Hard Drive not seen
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2014, 05:41:37 pm »
You could also look at Duplicati - incremental backup with VSS support and nothing needed on the server side. It supports backing up over SSH, ftp, CIFS, Amazon S3 WebDav and many others, I run it on my machine, without noticeable overhead.