Author Topic: Noob: Do I even understand what Zentyal really is?  (Read 917 times)

tengammaps

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Noob: Do I even understand what Zentyal really is?
« on: September 16, 2014, 09:02:04 pm »
Just "ran across" Zentyal when researching how to install OpenLDAP, OpenVPN and Samba. Had no idea there was such a tool. I have installed the 3.5 ISO in a VM to play with.  :)

Initially looked for the user access... not there.

SO... first, am I correct Zentyal is strictly an admin tool? Any user interaction with, e.g. LDAP searches, OpenChange Calendar access, etc., is strictly through conventional means... e.g. ldapsearch (or JXplorer, etc), a web browser pointed at the OpenChange URL:port, etc?

Second... can I still work with individual tools directly, like edit conf files, import LDIFs with ldap command line tools, etc.? Some interface tools (e.g. for asterisk VOIP setup tools) are one way - once you use them, if you make any changes to the configuration by hand, it breaks the tool.

Looking at Zentyal's conf files, it doesn't seem like Zentyal stores any operational information about the tools it interfaces to.... just hints to itself about how to setup their conf files, etc. Is this right?

I want ease of use, without giving up any control :-)

(Yes, I know control is an illusion... but it's such a NICE illusion :-)

fasttech

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
Re: Noob: Do I even understand what Zentyal really is?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2014, 09:37:39 pm »
best to read this thread so you know what you're getting into before you invest too much time.

https://forum.zentyal.org/index.php/topic,22671.0.html

lionheart1986

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2014, 09:50:10 pm »
Hi tengammaps

I'm not sure if this is what you are looking for. You can rearrange itself configurations of each module. Read yourself and please copy configuration files in / etc / Zentyal / stubs / "modulename". - its for custom conf files.

https://wiki.zentyal.org/wiki/En/3.5/Development_and_advanced_configuration

for example:
mkdir /etc/zentyal/stubs/"modulename"
copy from /usr/share/ebox/stubs/samba/samba.conf.mas. to /etc/zentyal/stubs/samba/samba.conf.mas <= here you can customize what you want

Regards

tengammaps

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2014, 11:59:06 pm »
Thanks Lionheart, this is exactly the kind of information I was looking for... it lets me know that by adopted Zentyal I could still customize & extend outside of Zentyal, I just have to do it via Zentyal stubs & hooks, or my changes won't persist.

Thanks again!

tengammaps

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2014, 12:01:36 am »
Thanks also to fasttech for the thread about dropped modules in 4.0, and the controversy over that.

(FYI, the link as it appears works fine, but the actual "src"/target of the link does not. )