Author Topic: [SOLVED]: Zentyal 3.5 is unable to save/finalize samba and acl setting conf.  (Read 11514 times)

shadowfire

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
I am planning on using Zentyal as a new alternative to Windows servers for small business.  I currently setup a Zentyal 3.5 community server for a location just a test to see if it will fit the small business enviroment like I presume it can.  I have been timid to role this out until now.  It looked like alot of the bugs have been fixed from it's earlier conception.  So far Zentyal seems to be a strong package, but I have run in to a couple of items items that for production and small business can be show stoppers for a client wanting to run Zentyal as a standalone solution.   

So what is the issue I have come across - Zentyal handling saving configuration of samba/ACL's

So what I am doing is setting up a share called: Installation

Setting up ACL:   Apply ACLs recursively / Group: Accounting    Permissions: Read and write

When I got through the process to save configuration I get the following information in a pop-up window:

Some modules reported error when saving changes . More information on the logs in /var/log/zentyal/

The following modules failed while saving their changes, their state is unknown: samba The following modules failed while saving their changes, their state is unknown: samba at The following modules failed while saving their changes, their state is unknown: samba at /usr/share/perl5/EBox/GlobalImpl.pm line 735 EBox::GlobalImpl::saveAllModules('EBox::GlobalImpl=HASH(0x387cba8)', 'progress', 'EBox::ProgressIndicator=HASH(0x1b3eff0)') called at /usr/share/perl5/EBox/Global.pm line 95 EBox::Global::AUTOLOAD('EBox::Global=HASH(0x387c590)', 'progress', 'EBox::ProgressIndicator=HASH(0x1b3eff0)') called at /usr/share/zentyal/global-action line 32 eval {...} at /usr/share/zentyal/global-action line 30

When I take a look at /var/log/zentyal/zentyal.log  I get the following:

2014/07/03 14:53:43 DEBUG> Sudo.pm:189 EBox::Sudo::_root - /usr/share/zentyal/global-action --action saveAllModules --progress-id 1 (pid: $
2014/07/03 14:53:43 DEBUG> Sudo.pm:189 EBox::Sudo::_root - /usr/share/zentyal/global-action --action saveAllModules --progress-id 1 (pid: $
2014/07/03 14:53:50 INFO> Base.pm:231 EBox::Module::Base::save - Restarting service for module: logs
2014/07/03 14:53:50 DEBUG> Sudo.pm:189 EBox::Sudo::_root - /usr/share/zentyal/global-action --action saveAllModules --progress-id 1 (pid: $
2014/07/03 14:53:50 DEBUG> Sudo.pm:189 EBox::Sudo::_root - /usr/share/zentyal/global-action --action saveAllModules --progress-id 1 (pid: $
$(pid: 14683) - /sbin/start 'ebox.loggerd'
2014/07/03 14:53:51 ERROR> GlobalImpl.pm:735 EBox::GlobalImpl::saveAllModules - The following modules failed while saving their changes, t$
EBox::GlobalImpl::saveAllModules('EBox::GlobalImpl=HASH(0x4821cf0)', 'progress', 'EBox::ProgressIndicator=HASH(0x2ae42e8)') called at /usr$
EBox::Global::AUTOLOAD('EBox::Global=HASH(0x4821780)', 'progress', 'EBox::ProgressIndicator=HASH(0x2ae42e8)') called at /usr/share/zentyal$
eval {...} at /usr/share/zentyal/global-action line 30
2014/07/03 14:53:51 DEBUG> Sudo.pm:189 EBox::Sudo::_root - /usr/share/zentyal/loggerd (pid: 15706) - /sbin/status 'ebox.redis'
2014/07/03 14:53:52 DEBUG> Sudo.pm:189 EBox::Sudo::_root - /usr/share/zentyal/loggerd (pid: 15706) - /bin/cat /var/lib/zentyal/conf/zentya$
2014/07/03 14:53:53 DEBUG> Loggerd.pm:63 EBox::Loggerd::run - Loaded log helper classes: EBox::Printers::LogHelper EBox::SambaLogHelper

I have already search the forums  and  I have noted 7 unaswered questions about the samba side.  Two other questions that the admin/users figured out from them selves (but didn't seem to pertain to my issue).  I hope this will not be hard to answer as to why it is happening.

I have even done the following:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

But only thing I got out of that is now Zentyal desktop doesn't come up automatically like it did (I get to this after my samba/ACL problems are gone).

Any help on this is massively appreciated.

Thanks for your help in advanced,

Jeff Davis
 -SF-

« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 04:23:52 pm by shadowfire »

andre.pool

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Something went wrong with your Samba install, I suggest you remove the Samba module and re-install it. I have a site running off these servers and have not had a single downtime of failure in any of the modules. Although I have not implemented Openchange as yet until all it's bugs have been resolved.

Better yet, skit 3.4 and go to 3.5, I have installed it last night on a VM and it is very smooth, even got active sync to work.

mikelv702

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
I'm having the same problem!
I have uninstalled and reinstalled Samba
I even did a clean install of the server and I'm getting the same thing
It is weird because I had everything working fine just over the weekend one day ago...
Then I go to add a new ACL and it starts with this now my entire domain is failed.

jbahillo

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
Hi:

I would suggest you to check that /etc/zentyal/zentyal.conf has debug defined as yes and check which is the last file this logs prints that Zentyal is changing permissions. It will probably mean that for some reason samba cannot change permissions

rindi

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
I have the same problem with Zentyal 3.4 (I think 3.3 didn't have it yet). I posted a Question in the forums here about it a couple of weeks ago, but haven't got a single response to it yet (it was probably one of those unanswered Questions you noticed).

I also did a complete reinstall of the OS, which didn't fix the issue. I was hoping it would be fixed with version 3.5, but it seems not to be the case!

shadowfire

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
Even though I am still having some issues with user permissions and error free connection to appropriate shares and user drives, I did take andre.pool advice and reinstall the samba module (Users, Computers and File Sharing).  In turn this this had other issues, such as loss of users, computers, printers and so on. (luckily the location doesn't have many groups, users, computers, and shares.)

*note that this also will kick the printers - and yes that means you have to resetup those as well.

I highly suggest that dev's make a way to back up - computers, groups, shares, users, domain controller, and printers configuration so if you do have to reinstall samba module (Users, Computers and File Sharing) you can restore them and you don't have the pain of having to setup everyone and everything from scratch again like I had too..  I can only imagine if I had 25 - 1000 users and had to setup all computers, groups, users, shares and printers from scratch - OUCH!!! (*of course this is the community version and I am supposing that the pro and the other versions make this a non-issue)

All in all, I am still pleased with Zentyal and how it works, I just need to find stability with connecting to shares when users have permissions and are apart of a group.

rindi

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
I think I have found the cause of the problem. It seems to occur when you use guest access. I have disabled the guest account, and am only using normal ACL's now and the error didn't show up.

shadowfire

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
I think I have found the cause of the problem. It seems to occur when you use guest access. I have disabled the guest account, and am only using normal ACL's now and the error didn't show up.

I am glad that disabling guest worked for you.  I can only say that during install, upgrading and moving fvorward - the whole time my settings for guest have never changed - it has always been disabled.  So on my side that was not the problem.  I am glad that disabling guest user worked for your setup.  Thanks for letting other know your experiences as well - it is very vauable for those navagating the Community version.

Thanks,

-SF-

1baud

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Sounds like you are using "file sharing" section to create your share path ,apply ACL's, etc.  I kept getting the same error. 
Instead create your share path using "user and computers" (sharing directory for this group)
It works and you don't get that nasty error. -- I'm using ldap with Owncloud --

Durkensa

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Even though I am still having some issues with user permissions and error free connection to appropriate shares and user drives, I did take andre.pool advice and reinstall the samba module (Users, Computers and File Sharing).  In turn this this had other issues, such as loss of users, computers, printers and so on. (luckily the location doesn't have many groups, users, computers, and shares.)

*note that this also will kick the printers - and yes that means you have to resetup those as well.

I highly suggest that dev's make a way to back up - computers, groups, shares, users, domain controller, and printers configuration so if you do have to reinstall samba module (Users, Computers and File Sharing) you can restore them and you don't have the pain of having to setup everyone and everything from scratch again like I had too..  I can only imagine if I had 25 - 1000 users and had to setup all computers, groups, users, shares and printers from scratch - OUCH!!! (*of course this is the community version and I am supposing that the pro and the other versions make this a non-issue)

All in all, I am still pleased with Zentyal and how it works, I just need to find stability with connecting to shares when users have permissions and are apart of a group.

I tried enabling and disabling the guest account and creating groups with the shares. All the solutions mentioned. Nothing working.
So now it is working fine. I disabled the user and sharing module. Then did a sudo update and sudo upgrade in CLI. Then in software management deleted the module after the update and upgrade was done. Then rebooted Zentyal and re-installed the user and sharing module and created a share. No error. Then enabled the user and sharing module and created user and assigned rights to the share and all is working without errors.

easpem

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: [SOLVED]: Zentyal 3.5 is unable to save/finalize samba and acl setting conf.
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2014, 04:39:11 pm »
Im having the same issues with zentyal 3.5, but even after uninstalling users and file sharing module and updating-upgrading and reinstalling i cant save samba changes. 
If i delete the shares everything works ok.  :(   
I tried with zentyal 4 and that one does work as it should (at least the samba part, the rest i havent tried yet.)

Escorpiom

• Zen Hero
    • View Profile
Re: [SOLVED]: Zentyal 3.5 is unable to save/finalize samba and acl setting conf.
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2014, 05:53:57 am »
Same issue here, Samba module can't save changes. I don't use guest access.
The proposed option of deleting Samba also deletes other modules, Squid proxy being one of them.
The server is providing Internet access to my users so I can't have downtime associated with the removal of a bunch of modules.

This is not good.

Cheers.
Marcus' Rule:
Blanks & capitals = avoid it and you'll avoid problems...

ZAKhan

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
I have the same issue .. unfortunately all my Zentyal servers have had such issues and none of them are stable.

I have a couple of production servers which I have tried with all possible solution people have tried here but none have worked.

It would be really nice for once anyone from zentyal should look into this and solve it for us.

Its so damn frustrating.

firemist

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
I was also having this issue. After looking at the log file, I noticed some files were having the ACL set OK, some were errored. The files that did update had the owner:group as Administrator:adm. The errored files had userA:firemist (a Ubuntu user group) ownership. I had copied lots of files off my current server to the new Zentyal server.
FIX:
Setting the ownership of all the files and directories to Administrator:adm fixed the Zentyal ACL errors. Creating a new file from userA showed ownership as "zUserB:domain users". So, it looks like ownership needs to belong to the Zentyal domain users, not any server (Ubuntu) users that may already exist on the machine.
If you need the command for this, it is:
[from root or sudo]: chown -R Administrator:adm /<shared directory>

Hope it helps.
Jeff B.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 04:08:56 pm by firemist »