Author Topic: SBS 2003 and Zentyal installation  (Read 836 times)

Dylan.Chrysanthou

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
SBS 2003 and Zentyal installation
« on: June 20, 2014, 10:16:46 pm »
I am sure that this topic has already been covered somewhere on this forum.

I have a question regarding the installation of Zentyal in a current SBS 2003 environment.

I have a customer that currently has SBS 2003 installed and working for years now, their exchange DB is starting to reach its limitations and I have bought some more time by getting users to delete redundant mail. Management of the company is against doing a hosted mail solution due to security and legal requirements, they neither have the budget for implementing a new exchange on site environment.

I would like to propose Zentyal as a replacement, however I have a few questions regarding the configuration and functionality.

1.      Can zentyal be installed as an additional DC and exchange server?
2.      If I run zentyal in this config and move some of the mailboxes across how does that affect mailbox access? (IE: One user has the mailbox on zebtyal and the other on exchange)
3.      If the above can work and someone logs into the webmail of the exchange server and their mailbox is stored on the zentyal server, will they be able to access their mail?
4.      what would the best way be to implement this solution without removing the SBS installation as they enjoy the functionality of sharepoint, SQL etc?

Is someone would take the time to answer these questions it would be much appreciated.

Best Regards,
dylan

robb

Re: SBS 2003 and Zentyal installation
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2014, 01:19:50 pm »
If I remember correctly, it is not possible to have an additional DC in a SBS environment. You can have an extra server, but Zentyal OpenChange requires Domain and File Sharing services installed and active.
If you are looking for a switch to Zentyal you will need to do a migration and leave MS SBS.