Author Topic: [SOLVED] Unable to join Windows 7 Pro to domain  (Read 4678 times)

Absolute

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
[SOLVED] Unable to join Windows 7 Pro to domain
« on: May 05, 2014, 07:40:46 pm »
Hello,
I am unable to join windows 7 pro machines to a Zentyal PDC. 
I get the message "Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password." from the Win7 clients.
I started this project a couple months ago with v3.2 64 bit running on a AMD Phenom / Gigabyte combo.  I followed the videos from the Jonas Technology site and got the above error.  I tried connecting a clean in stall of Windows 7 pro and still didn't have success.  I installed Zentyal on a Intel Atom based machine and had the same error.
I gave up until this last weekend when I had time again.  This time I installed 3.4 64bit on a Mac Mini I7 computer.  I followed all of the steps in Techmint.com Part 1 tutorial, several times, (sometimes doing a apt -get update or upgrade and other things) always with the same error. 
I thought maybe there was something in my router/gateway, so I replaced it with a freshly reset Linksys WRT54G.  So my network is a cable modem, fresh WRT54G and a switch (not managed).  I re-installed on the new network and received the same error.  I reinstalled and used a different user name thinking that there might be a conflict with that (I was using administrator).  Same Problem.  I tried a different hostname finally landing on absolute5.absolutedomain.com.  Still the same problems.  What am I missing?
I would really like to get this working for my home network so I can administer user shares and have roaming profiles.

The next post contains the output from dpkg.  (the message length was too long)

Thanks to everyone in advance!

dale
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 07:46:14 pm by Absolute »

Absolute

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Unable to join Windows 7 Pro to domain
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2014, 07:43:57 pm »
OK,
so I cannot post the output from dpkg...  It's too long.  If needed I can post portions.

dale

Absolute

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
[SOLVED]Re: Unable to join Windows 7 Pro to domain
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2014, 07:45:23 pm »
I created a new user, made them part of the admin group and joined using that user.

dale

Absolute

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: [SOLVED] Unable to join Windows 7 Pro to domain
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2014, 07:40:52 pm »
As a note, I have found that I need to use a fully qualified user and domain name when adding computers. 

Example:
<username>@<mydomainname>
dale@absolutedomain.com

Hopefully this will be helpful for others.

dale