Author Topic: Install on a VPS? (problem with Network module in 1.2)  (Read 1796 times)

MacMar

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Install on a VPS? (problem with Network module in 1.2)
« on: November 02, 2009, 03:28:45 am »
I have a VPS (run on OpenVZ) with 8.04 Server installed on it. With a fresh system, upgraded right after start-up, I get the errors below when I install eBox 1.2 — specifically, ebox-openvpn.

I can use the interface. However, when I turn on the network module and "Save Changes," eBox freezes, and I lose all ability to connect with the server even after a reboot, even via ssh. I've tried several different settings for the Network Interfaces, and in an attempt to recover from the post-freeze situation I've used the web-based manager for the VPS to edit etc/network/interfaces; but to no avail. I reinstall the OS and try again.

This has happened several times, and after much googling I — being a command-line newbie — fear I am no closer to enlightenment.

Should I conclude that eBox does not belong on a VPS? Or is there something I can do to get past this?

A couple observations:

• The interfaces file that the server starts out with — which is auto-generated, creating a problem on reboot I suppose, but that's a separate issue — anyhow, this file has values that I can't create in eBox's "Network Interfaces" screen. Specifically, the two IP addresses that I have, assigned to venet0:0 and venet0:1, have a netmask of 255.255.255.255. But this value is not available in eBox's "Netmask" drop-down list. (The interfaces file can be seen on pastebin. For the purposes of this forum, I've replaced my actual addresses with addresses beginning with "123" and given the file a txt extension.)

• I see that a somewhat similar issue as mine — with one user (quadrox) on a dedicated server, and a second user (vstryer) on a virtual server — has gone unsolved for about a year now: http://forum.ebox-platform.com/index.php?topic=752.0 .

Any help would be much appreciated!

-----------------------------------
The errors:

Code: [Select]
Setting up postgresql (8.3.8-0ubuntu8.04) ...
Setting up ebox (1.2.9-1ubuntu1~ppa1~hardy1) ...
Adding group `ebox' (GID 118) ...
Done.
Warning: The home dir /var/lib/ebox/ you specified already exists.
Adding system user `ebox' (UID 111) ...
Adding new user `ebox' (UID 111) with group `ebox' ...
The home directory `/var/lib/ebox/' already exists.  Not copying from `/etc/skel'.
adduser: Warning: The home directory `/var/lib/ebox/' does not belong to the user you are currently creating.
Adding user `ebox' to group `adm' ...
Adding user ebox to group adm
Done.
Creating the eboxlogs database
 * Restarting eBox module: apache
   ...done.

and

Setting up ebox-network (1.2.6-0ubuntu1~ppa1~hardy1) ...
Use of uninitialized value in string eq at /usr/share/ebox-network/ebox-netcfg-import line 60, <FD> line 33.
Use of uninitialized value in concatenation (.) or string at /usr/share/ebox-network/ebox-netcfg-import line 68, <FD> line 33.
Use of uninitialized value in concatenation (.) or string at /usr/share/ebox-network/ebox-netcfg-import line 68, <FD> line 33.

These lines (except for the first) repeat six more times, and then there is this:

Invalid value for IP address: ::1. * Restarting eBox module: network
   ...done.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 11:19:07 am by MacMar »