Author Topic: 3.4 installation process different from documentation  (Read 1960 times)

simpsond

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
3.4 installation process different from documentation
« on: April 22, 2014, 06:40:42 pm »
I downloaded and have attempted (many times) to install the 3.4 version of Community Zentyal.
For the most part the instructions are correct. But during the actual 3.4 install, it asks for they type of installation required and lists a whole series of different systems to install from basic through GUIs to web servers and etc. No matter which item is selected, the install completes but upon reboot, never comes up to the Zentyal access screen using a web browser per the instructions and is not accessible from a web browser, even using the actual IP address the server gets from dhcp.
Any assistance would be appreciated!
Thanks!
Doug

simpsond

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: 3.4 installation process different from documentation appended
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2014, 06:52:21 pm »
I should note that I have been using linux since the late 90's and currently use it on every computer I own so I am not a newbie to linux, or samba for that matter. I have run samba PDC controllers from W98 days through the XP and still use samba for Windows file sharing and etc so I am familiar with it. Samba 4 (included in the Zentyal PDC) is a slightly different animal, but the installer is the basic issue here, I think I can work through the rest once I get the installer to work right according to the documentation (or appended docs if available).

MrDanne

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: 3.4 installation process different from documentation
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2014, 01:45:35 pm »
I too have this problem upon install.
I chose the first install option, but I then have to choose on which packages to install... Basic Ubunto server, LAMP and so on... doesn't seem right to me.
According to you documentation this shouldn't exist at all.

adrianopedro

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2014, 12:25:42 pm »
Hello all,

I also have this problem...
Follow all the steps in installation, but at the end simply get Ubuntu Server 13.10...

Also tried with 3.3... but also get only ubuntu server 12.04..

Does anyone has any clue???

Regards,
AP

Dsn

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2014, 04:01:12 pm »
I experienced the same failure during installation ..
Has anyone found a solution for a smooth installation using the ISO?

Dsn

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2014, 05:27:59 pm »
No one has installed zentyal in the last month ?!

zinga77

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2014, 04:37:01 pm »
Hello,
Same problem here.
Tested with 3.3 3.4 64 & 32 on 3 different computer same result .. console prompt after reboot.

cejack

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2014, 11:26:16 pm »
Yep... Me too. 

Just popped it in as a VM test in VMWare Workstation v 10.XX (latest update whatever that is). 

All I get is Ubuntu command prompt after installing.  I think the problem is that it's trying to install it as Ubuntu Server 13.10.  Seems like that's what the underlying base is but that doesn't give me the web interface / control from Zentyal I'm looking for.   

On my other hardware I have tried it on - it's even worse.  (BioStar TA890FXE with AMD Quad Core Processor and 8GB RAM). It just hangs / stops at the second screen (Select your Location).   

Any hints or ideas here?  I'm all ears...  Is this something to do with UEFI or something?  Are there different versions I need to consider or some BIOS considerations.  Used to be pretty easy to install in a VM with VMWare Workstation before.  Haven't tried this in a while though and obviously something has changed. 

New Edit:  If you are using WMWare - you can simply remove the autoinst cdrom and autoinst floppy in VM Settings.  That did it for me.  Still having issues with the bare metal hardware install though. 
« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 03:13:41 am by cejack »

Dsn

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2014, 12:28:51 pm »
Someone tried to install via CDROM ?

CNServices

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2014, 01:18:34 pm »
Someone tried to install via CDROM ?

Does your server have an Internet connection at installation time?

robb

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2014, 03:19:31 pm »
Zentyal 3.3 has Ubuntu 12.04 as a base system mandatory!
Zentyal 3.4 has Ubuntu 13.10 as a base system also mandatory!

Using the installer you get those Ubuntu versions by default. Alternatively you can install a Ubuntu server and add the Zentyal repositories (archive.zentyal.org) to sources.list and import the key for the repository. See https://wiki.zentyal.org/wiki/Installation_Guide

Since you are an experienced linux user, try to switch off your commandline knowledge, at least for the installation and configuration period. Use the webadmin page to configure Zentyal.
To troubleshoot the webadmin page you should know that Zentyal uses NginX for the webadmin page. You can start to investigate if the service is running and on what ports it is listening.

zinga77

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2014, 09:33:41 am »
Hello again,
I have found the answer for my problems.

1 - the 64bit Zentyal CDRom have some files with bad extension in \pool\main\l\linux like .u or .ude in place of .udeb

2 - I install from USB Stick prepared with unetbootin and you MUST choose expert mode in the menu

3 - My server doesn't name my ethernet interface "eth0" "eth1" but "em1" "em2" "p1p1" etc.. with this naming the first part of the install work but in second part the system loose the interface name. To correct this problem you must edit the expert menu command line and add  :

biosdevname=0

this command force "ethx" naming.

Sorry for my bad english and good luck.