Author Topic: 2IPs - Same Network  (Read 1500 times)

illunis

2IPs - Same Network
« on: March 10, 2014, 02:32:05 pm »
Hi guys
i have two interfaces and i want to have two IPs on the same subnet. When i try to do that it comes up with the error
"Cannot use the address 172.16.10.255 because interface eth0 has already an address in the same network"

Where is the problem?...i dont see why i cannot have two or more IPs on the same network

christian

Re: 2IPs - Same Network
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2014, 03:28:33 pm »
I suppose this is a new control Zentyal added because too many users are setting IP on same subnet on 2 interfaces and then set one of this interface as external, which doesn't work.
But, even worst, if this was allowed and if you connected your 2 interfaces on 2 different networks, then machines on each network will not see each others unless you implement some very specific network tricks  ;)

Perhaps if you elaborate on what you intend to achieve this may make Zentyal to change their mind with this control  :)

For the time being, this is a pretty good idea  8)

robb

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2014, 05:15:51 pm »
In Z3.4 you can have 2 IP's on the same network, at least I _persume_ the 'bundled' feature is meaning some kind of bonding of interfaces.

But that aside, I am curious why the topic starter would like to have 2 IP's on the same subnet.

christian

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2014, 06:07:15 pm »
But that aside, I am curious why the topic starter would like to have 2 IP's on the same subnet.

Me too  :)

illunis

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2014, 10:22:17 am »
Thanks guys
there is no obvious reason for what i am doing. I simply want to have more than IPs on the same network.

I will check it out on 3.4

robb

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2014, 11:03:24 am »
What would be the advantage of having multiple IP's to the same server in the same subnet?

illunis

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2014, 01:57:13 pm »
Hi guys
sorry for the late reply

I am just trying things...i dont really know if there would an advantage having more IPs on the same subnet.

One thing i noticed is that i would like to be able to change the IP of the domain controller when i have SAMBA enabled.

I can do that if i use pure samba by adding another interface that will have the new IP and then disable the old one.

In ZENTYAL i cannot do that and i did not find another way except adding a new machine and demote the old controller.

BrunovonTroba

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2014, 12:13:33 am »
You can have it if You will use the interfaces as DHCP clients
No, by hand it is not possible to set it because ZENTYAL is blocking that possibility