Author Topic: Collecting domain email from a POP3 ISP mailbox  (Read 1747 times)

ilneill

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Collecting domain email from a POP3 ISP mailbox
« on: March 02, 2014, 06:06:55 pm »
Hi All,

I thought what I wanted to do was something "common", but a lack of search hits seems to indicate otherwise. Of-course, I suppose the answer depends upon how you ask the question... maybe.

Anyway, on with my question.

Some background. I have a Mercury 32 mail server running on XP. Yes, XP - I wish to retire this! One of the features of M32 that I use is its POP3 client that can connect to my single ISP mailbox and collect all the mail for my domain and then locally deliver this mail to all my internal Users. I have less than 10 Users, plus they each have a few aliases. Additionally, all my outgoing mail is routed through the same ISP mailbox. Why... it is easiest for me, and means I do not have to mess with any MX records. Also, since my M32 server is on the end of a DSL line, using the ISP mailbox is more reliable - well, more reliable than my DSL line.

So, I would like to migrate to Zentyal (which also has many other features that I like), but I cannot see how to specifically configure this functionality. I have seen how, on a per user basis, an external mailbox collection can be configured (uses fetchmail, I think). However I cannot see how to configure a single external mailbox so that all the email for my domain is collected mail and is then delivered to multiple local mailboxes as determined by the destination address. My research also indicates that fetchmail should be able to do this, but I cannot see how to set it up in the Zentyal admin GUI.

Any advice will be gratefully received, even if it is to point out something obvious that I have missed or just misunderstood  :)

Many thanks in advance.

Regards,

Ian

sgc

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Collecting domain email from a POP3 ISP mailbox
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2014, 08:28:55 pm »
Did you manage to find a solution? 
I would really like to use this type of email delivery as a solution for one of my projects.

Gopher

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Collecting domain email from a POP3 ISP mailbox
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2014, 12:06:46 am »
I used to do this with Mercury too, pretty sure when I switched to Linux, fetchmail was more than happy to be configured to deliver email to the To: address rather than into one specific mailbox. IIRC you should consult the fetchmail manual for "multidrop", I'm pretty sure webmin knows how to set this up for you if you struggle with the manuals. You can't set this up using the Zentyal interface.