Author Topic: [SOLVED] zentyal updates supported until ?  (Read 1345 times)

hotsummer55

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
[SOLVED] zentyal updates supported until ?
« on: February 24, 2014, 11:22:35 pm »
If I stick with zentyal 3.3 and run updates apt-get update ect.
I can see its based on ubuntu 12.04 lts  that is supported to 04 2017 so i think that will carry on getting security updates
But what about zentyals repos .
How long will zentyal  carry on getting security updates.I don't want to keep on upgrading.
If I upgrade to 3.4 in march the ubuntu that is based on ubuntu 13.10 ends in 07 2014 so I think can't stay with that one.

Does anyone else know how this works.I am using zentyal for the first time and the system is stable at the moment and in use.
I can't find any info on zentyal's supported until on this.

Would I have been better of installing ubuntu 12.04 and manualy installing zentyal.would that work for longer.
ph
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 06:04:47 pm by hotsummer55 »

christian

Re: zentyal updates supported until ?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2014, 06:10:49 am »
LTS vs. non-LTS ....  unless you plan to buy support from Zentyal, I don't think debate is really on the Zentyal side (that is made of opensource components) but rather at OS level.
If your concern is only "security updates", you will get it from system update, including for components used to build Zentyal, except perhaps for Zentyal code itself but this one is, from my standpoint less prone to such kind of problem as this is mainly presentation layer.

Given the huge amount of changes that are introduced with each new Zentyal release, I would rather focus on feature as decision driver rather than security updates. If your concerns is not security updates but support (with an "S" like in LTS  ;)), then there is no debate, go for LTS.

hotsummer55

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2014, 09:25:53 am »
Thanks for your reply
The features in 3.3 are fine.
So If I understand correctly.I would be better of installing ubuntu 12.04 and using ppa's .
I currently have zentyal 3.3 using zentyal iso (lxde desktop).I was not sure how long zentyal would carry on updating that version.
Or do they both use the same repos and it makes no difference.
ph

christian

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2014, 09:31:37 am »
For what I understand, it doesn't make any difference. ISO is only a convenient way to distribute software.
I feel people are often misunderstanding this. Because there is an ISO available, they look at Zentyal as a new "distro" while from my standpoint, Zentyal is a piece of software bundling various OpenSource + additional layer (and features) so tat all these components run smoothly in a consistent way.
Thus you can install it either from ISO or as package, at the end, result is almost the same (installing from packages providing more flexibility like capability to not install X client on server  ::)

hotsummer55

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2014, 10:48:53 am »
Thanks left this info for others.
That helps .so I will leave on 3.3 from iso
The only difference I noticed is that the iso uses non lts version .eg ubuntu ie 3.4 will be on top of ubuntu 13.10 .
http://www.zentyal.org/zentyal-release-policy/
Where the ppa have to be installed on the lts's from what I can see in launchpad web site.
https://launchpad.net/~zentyal  .This is more like commercial version I think.
The zentyal 3.3 version I am on has samba 4.1.3 so think zentyal must be using
https://launchpad.net/~zentyal/+archive/3.3-proposed   for there iso version but I might me wrong.
I will probably try out ubuntu server 12.04.03 and install ppa's as a test on vm. (probably 3.2 ppa or 3.3-proposed)
ph