Author Topic: [SOLVED] Zentyal and windows server - parallel run on the same LAN  (Read 1479 times)

Hypermangan

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Hi all

I am preparing a migration from windows server 2003 to zentyal in our company. I need first set up and test my zentyal server (samba, windows client authentisation, zarafa) before migration.

Windows server run physically on separete HW and zentyal run on second HW. There is VMware ESXi installed. There runs debian with our ERP system and zentyal (for testing at the moment). Interner is connected directly from One Access ADSL modem to windows server which provide routing, DNS, DHCP and gateway.

I have physically connected zentyal eth0 to LAN where windows domain is running (because I need internet connection) and on eth1 I have in another IP range my new zentyal LAN where I want to make tests. Everytime I start on zentyal the domain services, windows domain crashes after few hours. It looks like zentyal streams his domain services to windows server LAN range too and it makes some problems on windows server.

Can someone advice me how to avoid this.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 09:06:34 am by Hypermangan »

Hypermangan

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: [SOLVED] Zentyal and windows server - parallel run on the same LAN
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2014, 09:10:24 am »
I have connected switch between One Access modem and Windows server. Into this switch is Zentyal WAN port connected with gateway IP from provider and it already runs without problems.

sternfan

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2014, 10:11:12 pm »
I'll throw in my 2 cents...

Any time I've tried to do what you are doing - running a test domain on a current one - I have always separated the two either physically (on different wiring) or on different subnets. 

If your router only has one LAN port - you may be out of luck.

If your router has more than one LAN port, assign it a different subnet that the one being used - that way they are segmented but can still use the same router for the internet.

Rob

Hypermangan

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2014, 10:04:32 am »
I have a router with only one port which can be used for internet connection. I gave a swich between router and both servers. I set up new vm kernel (virtual switch) in vmware exsi and connected the second and thrid NIC to the new virtual switch which is connected to zentyal and it is running so without problems.