Author Topic: Zentyal Data counter issue in bandwidth monitor  (Read 2174 times)

adefranca

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Zentyal Data counter issue in bandwidth monitor
« on: January 10, 2014, 12:09:58 pm »
Hi

I have looked for a topic on this and haven't found anything conclusive. I have been using pfsense and want to move to zentyal because of data counter issues. Pfsense counts the data too fast in the RADIUS server and the only solution I have found is to setup an MySQL database to manage the usage/cap limits, I'd much rather use Zentyal in stead. I use the pfsense machine to manage a free wifi service housing complexes.

I need it to do the following:
>> DHCP
>> Captive portal
>> Limit the amount of data transfer (upload/download)
>> Limit the transfer speed (max per user)
>> Cut users off when their total allocated "cap" is reached

I took a spare computer and installed zentyal 3.2 (3.2.5 after updates) on it and started setting it up. It took long to install and long to understand the new configuration layouts but I managed.

I have it all working but the usage limits are not coming into effect correctly, in my opinion.
I used my ipad, my iphone and my PC to test the user accounts.
Under the "users and computers" section added some user accounts with 100MB quotas, I assume that is the data limit ie. total upload and download.
In Captive portal section of users and computers I've set it to default
Limit bandwidth usage is active in captive portal and set to 1MB Monthly, to me that is a hard data cap one megabyte but I'm hoping it is a bandwidth limit of one megabit.

On my ipad I have used almost 500MB and it's still going. I'm downloading free aps and games.
My phone has done all of it's updates and totaled around 350MB
My pc has done over 400MB

According to captive portal the highest usage of the three is the ipad that has used 78MB. I have logged out on the ipad and logged back in, it is still browsing pages. I have just started downloading a game that is 275MB and it's going past half way now. (it finished while I was typing here)

The account on my phone has become inactive after disconnecting.

In conclusion, this is what I think. The data counters are wrong. Could some one please help me fix this or tell if that is just the way it is? Maybe you can tell me the ratio that it counts in and I can calculate the amounts to enter in to get the limits that I need to enforce.

Really need some help here. I hope I've explained this correctly.
(just started downloading another game, 50MB)

I have these packages installed:
Antivirus    3.2.1    
Backup    3.2.1    
Bandwidth Monitor    3.2.1    
Captive Portal    3.2.1    
Certification Authority    3.2.1    
Cloud Client    3.2.3    
Common Library    3.2.2    
Core    3.2.5    
DHCP Service    3.2.2    
DNS Service    3.2.5    
FTP    3.2.1    
Firewall    3.2.1    
IPsec and L2TP/IPsec    3.2.1    
Intrusion Prevention System    3.2.1    
Layer-7 Filter    3.2    
Monitor    3.2.1    
NTP Service    3.2    
Network Configuration    3.2.4    
Network Objects    3.2.1    
Network Services    3.2.1    
RADIUS    3.2.1    
Software Management    3.2.3    
Traffic Shaping    3.2.2    
User Corner    3.2.1    
Users and Computers    3.2.6    
VPN Service    3.2.2    
Web Server    3.2.1

I have some more information on this

I have looked in the logs and selected bandwidth usage which seems to be data usage. It appears that all usage is being recorded in bytes, which is fine and is somewhat of a relief that it is being recorded. However, it is not always being allocted to the user that is logged in.

I have attached photos of the log screen. horrible quality but you can see clearly enough to see whats going on. Don't know if I uploaded them correctly.
https://dl-web.dropbox.com/get/Photo%202014-01-11%2C%206%2023%2012%20AM.jpg?w=AAAbxIDDAQ5QuQkPddvpQqWlOiYyGHJ9nv7SmWMfenHVdw&_subject_uid=93428735
https://dl-web.dropbox.com/get/Photo%202014-01-11%2C%206%2024%2029%20AM.jpg?w=AAB0AQ_VAOBMqK99y15L2iR-FyfObjUY_NyLUcoIPNyUsw&_subject_uid=93428735
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 11:50:26 am by adefranca »