Author Topic: Ebox PDC and windows7  (Read 5964 times)

daniellench

• Zen Monk
  • sudo /etc/init.d/coffee brew
    • View Profile
    • daniellench.com
Re: Ebox PDC and windows7
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2009, 04:57:27 am »
Success!  8) After updating samba with the one in the 1.3 repositories (since i'm using 1.2 from the .iso and I chose to KEEP my samba.conf instead of using the repo version) I am able to connect to an eBox domain from a Windows 7 64bit client and browse shares.
Turns out that the share and now mapped drive are able to be seen in the file explorer but cannot be accessed (not found).
I also tried to add the pdf printer and it failed with an 0x00000000d error.

So I can only login to the domain now. The shares worked for a few minutes i even transferred files.

After a first reboot I was greeted with a dialog box asking me to reboot to apply changes? What changes, I'm already connected to the domain!

The initial logon is very long. after I enter user and pass, the system waits about 90sec+ before displaying desktop.

Subsequent reboot and logon is about 60sec+ before desktop. Is this a roaming profile thing or just Windows 7? I do not have roaming profiles selected.

When I "return" the machine I will note the time between authentication and desktop display on a SBS2003 domain.

I cannot test printing with my home setup. HP1000 needs firmware loaded every time and I don't care enough to get that working. All the work machines are 5 years newer than it.

Hope this helps someone. I can test for another day if someone needs something.

Thanks J. A. Calvo and the rest of the eBox team.

best,
~dan
« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 05:29:31 am by daniellench »

J. A. Calvo

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
    • http://blogs.zentyal.org/jacalvo
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2009, 10:19:39 am »
Yes, the logon on Windows 7 is also too long for me, about 60 sec as you say (maybe less, but it's a lot of times slower than Windows XP). I don't know why is that, but either has to be a Windows7 issue or a Samba one. I don't thing eBox has nothing to do with that...

Thank you for the testing!
Zentyal Server Lead Developer

daniellench

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
    • daniellench.com
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2009, 04:10:18 am »
i have the shares working now with windows 7 64 and eBox 1.3.5 on ubuntu 9.10 running samba 3.4.0

all packages were installed through synaptic.

on the winblows, i mean windows 7 side, i followed the registry edits from http://trac.ebox-platform.com/wiki/Document/HowTo/Windows7Support along with adjustments to "Local Security Policy" in windows posted here: http://www.dustypixels.com/blog/2009/11/07/windows7-samba-shares/

now the logon is down to 43 sec from 60 sec. i know we can do better than this because i timed the logon to sbs2003 and it was like 2 sec.

the shares persist through reboots now and i'm hooking up my hp1000 (that needs firmware loaded each time :( % ) to test samba printing.

running an application from a share asks for authentication by an elevated user on the domain (ebox) which i like. but if i just download an application locally on the windows machine it does not.

i'll post updates to the printers and if i hit a wall.

will i have to hose the 1.3.5 install to upgrade to 1.4?

thanks again eBox guys and gals.

~dan

tommie

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2009, 04:14:50 pm »
Hey Tommie,

Could please give us some pointer about the minimum samba version for windows 7?

Hey Javi, sorry for the late reply. Ebox will not work with Windows 7 clients due to the Samba version used in 1.2x. It seems that 1.4 will have windows 7 support. However, all ebox needs is a 3.4.x version of samba to support Windows. That is all I guess....

Since ebox is not very agile when it comes to package change, I think I will just stick to my self-made ebox version which runs like a charm and updates through apt-get upgrade instantly...

cheers,Tommie

J. A. Calvo

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
    • http://blogs.zentyal.org/jacalvo
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2009, 04:36:59 pm »
Since ebox is not very agile when it comes to package change, I think I will just stick to my self-made ebox version which runs like a charm and updates through apt-get upgrade instantly...

What do you mean with not agile to package change? We have samba 3.4.3 in our repository from time ago:

http://trac.ebox-platform.com/wiki/Document/HowTo/Windows7Support/
Zentyal Server Lead Developer

daniellench

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
    • daniellench.com
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2009, 04:49:09 pm »
No offense tommie but, if you have created something that you believe works better, why not share your findings and configuration with the developers and the community so that everyone can benefit.
Anything we do helps eBox to make a run at complete commercial SBS server solutions such as M$ server. I have been running eBox with windows 7 for some time now in a production environment by following the instructions from the http://trac.ebox-platform.com/wiki/Document/HowTo/Windows7Support

tommie, how long are your logon times using your "self-made" solution in windows 7?

best,
~dan

tommie

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2010, 04:27:53 pm »
No offence taken. But I do not think my version is better. My version  has to be updated and configured by hand, I wish I could get the same thing done with Ebox. However, manually upgrading the samba package with Ebox did not work for me.

Since the version 'supported' by ebox is stated not to be supported. I just installed Samba and configured it myself. Now Windows 7 clients do hook-up to the domain.

I will wait untill 1.4 is released and see where that takes us. As of right now people here authenticate to a very simple samba setup.... :(

javi

• Zen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2010, 04:29:31 pm »
What samba version are you using?

tommie

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2010, 04:33:09 pm »
tommie, how long are your logon times using your "self-made" solution in windows 7?

best,
~dan

Hey Dan,

It takes about 5 seconds to load the user profile. But I am not roaming those profiles. Users here have a share where they can upload documents which they need at home.

The only problem I had with ebox was adding Windows 7 clients to the network. I also found that roaming profiles sometimes errored after changing this option more than once. The (client side) error I got was that there was not enough disk space to save the roaming profile or file security was setup wrong.

So, since 1.4 is comming out soon, I will give that a go. Otherwise I might try ClearOS (clarckconnect). I need something setup at least before february! ;)

Cheers,
Tommie

tommie

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2010, 04:33:44 pm »
What samba version are you using?