Author Topic: Ebox PDC and windows7  (Read 5952 times)

Lynge

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Ebox PDC and windows7
« on: October 04, 2009, 12:58:25 pm »
Hi
I have just setup a new ebox and it is just great, but I have 2 problems (so far) the first is VPN, but I will just use a different thread for that.
The second is that I cannot connect windows7 machines to the domain.
I was testing it with windows7 and I could not figure out why on earth I couldn't get it working. Then I tried it with a winXP, and it logged in straight away. And now I have just tested it with a different win7 machine and I got the same result.

For good measure, here is the error:

"The following error occurred attempting to join the domain "lmg.local":
 The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted."

I shall gladly add any info you might need. I have just performed a backup of the configuration, but it is not obvious to me which of the files you could need. So please speak up.

cgmdim

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Ebox PDC and windows7
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2009, 10:30:34 pm »
Information from the Samba site:  Can you join the Samba domain if you if you put the following two DWORD registry values in place on your Win7 client and reboot:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanManWorkstation\Parameters

DomainCompatibilityMode = 1
DNSNameResolutionRequired = 0

tommie

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2009, 11:45:45 am »
I've tried this regedit.exe solution and it does not work. It does let you add the client to the domain, however, when logging on it errors: "The trust relation between this computer and the domain is invalid!"

Or something of that sort. Anyone else have any good ideas on this?

Lynge

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2009, 02:44:56 pm »
Just sent the latest server out the door, so I gotta get another one up for testing, but then I will give this a try also. Even though tommie has already given it a go. Bette test it twice :)

sixstone

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
    • Sixstone's blog
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2009, 11:18:07 am »
Just for letting you know that there is another thread [1] talking about the same issue. :)

Cheers,

[1] http://forum.ebox-platform.com/index.php?topic=1972.0
My secret is my silence...

tommie

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2009, 11:46:02 am »
I tried multiple solutions. But ebox has SAMBA 3.0.28 and that is not enough for it to work. You need 3.3.4 at least. :)

That was my error. I did not check the SAMBA version. So now I will just get rid of e-box and do it myself installing samba and bind and dovecot etc. etc.... :) Or will ebox start using current packages? :)

javi

• Zen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2009, 01:41:22 pm »
Hey Tommie,

Could please give us some pointer about the minimum samba version for windows 7?

tbg58

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2009, 11:40:35 pm »
Looks like there are a couple of issues with Windows 7 and Samba.  Firstly, MS says that they purposely engineered Win7 without any attempt at making it compatible with logging into an NT4 domain, however it looks like some folks have succeeded in joining and using Samba domains providing the Samba PDC is using at least Samba 3.3.6.
There appear to be a couple of issues - the registry keys that define crypto credentials already discussed and DNS domain suffixes appending to hostnames.
This thread has a lengthy discussion which includes some folks who have achieved success:
http://www.nabble.com/Windows-7-RC-td23405949i20.html

They are using Samba as a PDC, not eBox, however the issues should be the same across any version of Samba.  The question is whether eBox can be upgraded to the necessary Samba version - if that can be done, then it appears that there is hope for joining Windows 7 systems to domains with eBox Samba PDCs.
Kind regards,
Rob in Memphis

J. A. Calvo

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
    • http://blogs.zentyal.org/jacalvo
Zentyal Server Lead Developer

khunt

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2009, 10:06:31 pm »
OK so I followed the instructions in the WIKI Last night but I borked my server and had to start again. I have rebuilt the server and this time I chose to keep the package maintainers samba.conf instead of preserving my own. This seemed to do the trick.

So I did the reg key updated samba and ebox-samba (i did an apt-get update && apt-get upgrade after initial install anyway).

The win7 machine this time failed to join domain. So I tested on xp same issue :-(. So then I changed the domain name saved changes. This time the XP vm joined ok and so did the win7 (although it complained about not being able to rename computer or something).

The next issue I have is that I can no longer access any shares on either xp or win7. User share folder is not mapped either.

Win7 waits a mo then errors "Windows cannot access \\ubuntu-ebox\Install error code 0x80070043 The network name cannot be found"

XP pops up and asks for credentials but when entered they never work.

Im close.. But I need those shares.

Also Win7 is alot slower at joining the domain took a few minutes where as XP did it in about 20 seconds.

J. A. Calvo

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2009, 10:09:18 am »
That's really strange. Anyone is experiencing similar problems?

J. A. Calvo

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2009, 01:27:35 am »
Now we have a new version of samba (3.4.3) in our 1.3 repositories, maybe you can try to upgrade it to see if it solves your problems. It is supposed to solve issues with Windows7 according to the samba guys.

daniellench

• Zen Monk
  • sudo /etc/init.d/coffee brew
    • View Profile
    • daniellench.com
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2009, 04:15:18 am »
This is sorry to see :(
I have two win7 64bit machines coming in this week and a new eBox 1.2 up and running  :-\

Has anybody confirmed the workaround that J. A. Calvo posted earlier today? I cannot test it yet.

Does this affect both win7 32 & 64 bit setups? Can anyone confirm for 64bit?

Much thanks for an update. And good luck!

~dan

J. A. Calvo

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2009, 11:14:20 am »
The new samba package that I uploaded yesterday it's supposed to fix problems with share access. Some people reported that login worked but they couldn't access shares. I haven't tested anything with windows7 64bit. Hope someone could give us more feedback.

daniellench

• Zen Monk
  • sudo /etc/init.d/coffee brew
    • View Profile
    • daniellench.com
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2009, 03:37:14 am »
So I "borrowed" a machine from work and installed WIndows 7 64bit Pro (full version build 7600) on it.

I'm gonna try the eBox updated samba and see if i can get it up and running tonight, wish me luck.

Like I said before, I a noob here with linux server stuff. Will the 1.4 version of eBox upgrade the samba that I am upgrading  tonight as per J. A. Calvo's package update? J.A., does an updated version just figure what is outdated and update it saving/converting the config files/database?

Thanks

~dan

is there a fingers crossed emoticon?