Author Topic: file server  (Read 1226 times)

akshaybabloo

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
file server
« on: January 04, 2014, 09:10:07 pm »
hi how should i setup a file server for zentyal 3.3, i have followed some tutorials online but couldn't do it. can someone please tell me step by step and also tell me how to access it. thank you.

robb

Re: file server
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2014, 10:06:18 pm »
This should get you going:
http://doc.zentyal.org/en/filesharing.html#configuring-a-file-server-with-zentyal
If something goes wrong, please give some more info so we can point you what you did wrong.

akshaybabloo

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2014, 10:08:00 pm »
i did try this but how to access it and put a password to it?

robb

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2014, 10:18:25 pm »
I don't know what you mean with 'put a password' but access to a share is managed by ACL's (Access Control List)
You can give users or groups access to a share.
You can access a share as you would access a Windows share: browse the network or net use command. For Linux clients you could add the share to fstab

akshaybabloo

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2014, 10:39:14 pm »
The thing is that I'm using zentyal as broadband router/firewall for internet to internal network.  And it assigns dynamic ips to who ever connect to it through access point or directly.  So the thing is that when you share something it is available to everyone who is connected to it, so I want that particular folder to be password protected.  How should I do that?

christian

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2014, 07:33:49 am »
I don't see the point (neither the relationship if any) between DHCP (dynamic IP) and access control to shares.
Using Zentyal GUI, you can control who is accessing shares isn't it? What did you set there ?

akshaybabloo

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2014, 04:05:41 pm »
this server is set as a broadband router, so i dont want every one to access the file server. how should i put a password to file server so that only know people can access it. and this is not set in an office environment. about 5 to 6 people use it for internet sharing.

robb

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2014, 04:42:33 pm »
Again, Zentyal doesn't apply a password on a share. It uses an ACL (Access Control List) to grant access so a user or a member of a group can access a share.