Author Topic: [Solved]Outlook via Zarafa plugin not connecting to Zentyal 3.2 32-bit version  (Read 2276 times)

rcarney

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Hello all!

Has anyone been successful at getting Zarafa Outlook plugin to connect to Zentyal?  It should be a no brainer, but if so, how do you do it.  I read all that I can and followed the steps but no luck yet.  (This is really frustrating about Zentyal.  Zentyal does not seem have any simple configuration steps available.)

I read that the Zarafa outlook plugin allows for 3 free licenses.  Is there anything special that needs to be done to enable those licenses?  Seem like that should be the default for the Zarafa plug in?

I made sure that ports 236 and 237 are open.  I also removed the Zentyal firewall.  In addition, I unchecked the Mail config pop and imap boxes and checked them in the groupware config.

Webapp and webaccess work fine.  Any ideas?

« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 05:57:05 am by rcarney »

tose

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Outlook via Zarafa plugin not connecting to Zentyal 3.2 32-bit version
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2013, 06:51:59 am »
Hi RCarney,

You will need to ensure that you have installed the "zarafa-licensed" service (sudo apt-get install zarafa-licensed) before ANY Outlook clients will attach. A little heads-up on this too. When you install zarafa-licensed it will start, but won't be started if you reboot. So you'll also need to edit /etc/zentyal/zarafa.conf and set "zarafa-licensed = yes" to make it start at boot time.

Enjoy

rcarney

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Outlook via Zarafa plugin not connecting to Zentyal 3.2 32-bit version
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2013, 05:56:30 am »
Thanks tose, this fixed my problem.... It's hard to believe that zentyal documentation does not explain this.  Also when I was trying to  connect my windows phone via exchange, I had to enter the domain name as Z-Push, instead of my server domain to get it to work.  I just guessed this one after trying several hundred times.  This seems like it should be basic documentation.

Trying to get this server working with M$ Clients is really difficult.  Zentyal 3.2 seems to have bugs everywhere...

I want to  thank you again, tose.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 05:58:15 am by rcarney »

tose

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
You're welcome. That's a bit odd about the domain for activesync. I have both a Nokia E5 & an iPhone syncing with my Zenyal 3.2/Zarafa reasonably happily.

I'm not sure Zentyal is "buggie" so much. I think it's more a case that often you're not going to find the exact solution to your situation/problem in documentation. So you have to be prepared to figure some things out yourself or hopefully find someone who can help in the forums.

Happy to bounce things around if you have other problems.

rcarney

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Yes it is odd.  My ipad and iPhone 4 have no problem.  Buy my Windows Phone 7, seems to like Z-Push as the domain and the server as mydomain.com, which is ok.

To get windows phone 7 to work, I had to first convert the Zentyal Certificate Authority from a .pem file to a .crt using openssl and secondly, import the .crt into a windows browser, this stopped IE browser errors, and lastly, export browser cert in DER format and port that over to my windows phone and install it, wow.  I must be the only using M$ clients with Zentyal.

Anyway, quite the job to figure this out.  The marketing department bills Zenytal as an exchange server replacement, but they do nothing to make it ready for windows clients......

On another note.  Is there anyway that I can change a user's From: address to something different than the user's main mail address.  For example, change the emails From: address of user@mydomain.com to user@someotherdomain.com.  You can do this in exchange 2007 really easy, but I do not see a place for it in Zentyal mail configuration.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 05:19:38 am by rcarney »

christian

Is there any way that I can change a user's From: address to something different than the user's main mail address.  For example, change the emails From: address of user@mydomain.com to user@someotherdomain.com.  You can do this in exchange 2007 really easy, but I do not see a place for it in Zentyal mail configuration.

To me, this deserves another new post...

My view on this topic is that:
- sender mail address is configured at client level.
- As described in RFC822, multiple header fields can contain information about sender (wee below)
- in order to prevent spoofing, some modern mail servers implement masquerading that is rewriting sender address with real sender address. This requires ESMTP.

This been clarified, the tricky point is to understand what you current mail client is.
- With my Thunderbird client, I'm dealing with multiple mail addresses and swing from one to the other (configured at Thunderbird level)
- When using webmail (RoundCube), I had to configured this different identities in RoundCube
- I can't comment about Zarafa that I'm not using but you should have a look there.

Code: [Select]
Extract from RFC822:
originator  =   authentic                   ; authenticated addr             [ "Reply-To"   ":" 1#address] )
authentic   =   "From"       ":"   mailbox  ; Single author
                 / ( "Sender"     ":"   mailbox  ; Actual submittor
                     "From"       ":" 1#mailbox) ; Multiple authors  ;  or not sender