Author Topic: File Sharing module (Samba) won't start  (Read 8656 times)

DFLiddle

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
File Sharing module (Samba) won't start
« on: November 05, 2013, 04:25:17 pm »
Last week I noticed a problem when our file server would no longer connect to our domain. I suspected that updates to Samba had broken this, just as updates to Samba in the upgrade to Zentyal 3.2 appeared to have enabled this file server to connect. However, restoring backups of this server (a Proxmox VM) did not fix the problem.

Yesterday, I noticed that the File Sharing module was in the stopped state. When I try to start or restart it, I receive the following error:

Code: [Select]
OK

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, webmaster@localhost and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Here is what I read in /var/log/zentyal/zentyal.log after the error, with debug mode enabled:

http://paste.ubuntu.com/6369243/

The questions of the day are: How does one satisfy the "required parameter 'ifaces'", and will that fix the whole problem?

Server information:
zentyal-ca                           3.2                                     Zentyal - Certification Authority
zentyal-common                       3.2.1                                   Zentyal - Common Library
zentyal-core                         3.2.4                                   Zentyal - Core
zentyal-dhcp                         3.2                                     Zentyal - DHCP Service
zentyal-dns                          3.2.4                                   Zentyal - DNS Service
zentyal-ebackup                      3.2                                     Zentyal - Backup
zentyal-firewall                     3.2                                     Zentyal - Firewall
zentyal-monitor                      3.2                                     Zentyal - Monitor
zentyal-network                      3.2.3                                   Zentyal - Network Configuration
zentyal-ntp                          3.2                                     Zentyal - NTP Service
zentyal-objects                      3.2                                     Zentyal - Network Objects
zentyal-openvpn                      3.2                                     Zentyal - VPN Service
zentyal-remoteservices               3.2.1                                   Zentyal - Cloud Client
zentyal-samba                        3.2.8                                   Zentyal - File Sharing and Domain Services
zentyal-services                     3.2                                     Zentyal - Network Services
zentyal-software                     3.2.1                                   Zentyal - Software Management
zentyal-usercorner                   3.2                                     Zentyal - User Corner
zentyal-users                        3.2.2                                   Zentyal - Users and Computers
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 09:28:35 am by DFLiddle »

DFLiddle

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: File Sharing module (Samba) won't start
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2013, 01:29:43 pm »
One week after reporting this problem to the forum and continuing to search for its source and a solution, Samba still fails to start on this server. I want to add log information that appears after saving certain modules -- even without making changes -- on which Samba depends:

2013/11/12 13:13:02 ERROR> GlobalImpl.pm:734 EBox::GlobalImpl::saveAllModules - The following modules failed while saving their changes, their state is unknown: samba  at /usr/share/perl5/EBox/GlobalImpl.pm line 734
        EBox::GlobalImpl::saveAllModules('EBox::GlobalImpl=HASH(0x2286260)', 'progress', 'EBox::ProgressIndicator=HASH(0x6feca0)') called at /usr/share/perl5/EBox/Global.pm line 95
        EBox::Global::AUTOLOAD('EBox::Global=HASH(0x2261f30)', 'progress', 'EBox::ProgressIndicator=HASH(0x6feca0)') called at /usr/share/zentyal/global-action line 36

This error also showed up in the user interface, from which the "change" was saved to Network Interfaces.

It appears that no one who reads this forum has an idea of the problem's source or even a suggestion of where to look more deeply, but maybe posting this information will help someone else who is searching for similar terms.

DFLiddle

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2013, 09:15:14 pm »
After some updates to my system, the error messages appear different. Here is the new server information:

zentyal-ca                           3.2                                     Zentyal - Certification Authority
zentyal-common                       3.2.1                                   Zentyal - Common Library
zentyal-core                         3.2.4                                   Zentyal - Core
zentyal-dns                          3.2.4                                   Zentyal - DNS Service
zentyal-ebackup                      3.2                                     Zentyal - Backup
zentyal-firewall                     3.2                                     Zentyal - Firewall
zentyal-monitor                      3.2                                     Zentyal - Monitor
zentyal-network                      3.2.3                                   Zentyal - Network Configuration
zentyal-ntp                          3.2                                     Zentyal - NTP Service
zentyal-objects                      3.2                                     Zentyal - Network Objects
zentyal-samba                        3.2.9                                   Zentyal - File Sharing and Domain Services
zentyal-services                     3.2                                     Zentyal - Network Services
zentyal-software                     3.2.1                                   Zentyal - Software Management
zentyal-usercorner                   3.2                                     Zentyal - User Corner
zentyal-users                        3.2.3                                   Zentyal - Users and Computers

And here is how the log appears after the error:

http://paste.ubuntu.com/6412479/

What I find particularly concerning is the segment reading, "/etc/init.d/samba4: not found". Indeed, when I list the contents of /etc/init.d/, I see:

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root    21 Jan 16  2013 /etc/init.d/samba4 -> /lib/init/upstart-job
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root  1806 Nov 12 12:26 /etc/init.d/samba4.dpkg-new

The end of the first line is in red, indicating that the target is not there. And, in fact, there is no such directory in /lib/init/.

The File Sharing module is installed and enabled. In light of this new log information, does anyone have any insights or suggestions?
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 09:30:35 pm by DFLiddle »

BrettonWoods

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2013, 01:31:24 am »
init and the staring of jobs is /etc/init and have no idea what lib/init is.

I think dpkg-new is to install an update whilst keeping original conf files.

Actually showing my ignorance as I do have a lib/init.

Maybe someone can tell you more.

http://serverfault.com/questions/30819/what-is-the-use-of-lib-init-rw-in-debian
http://raphaelhertzog.com/2011/07/18/deciphering-one-of-dpkg-weirdest-errors-unable-to-open-pathtofoo-dpkg-new/
« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 01:47:33 am by BrettonWoods »

DFLiddle

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2013, 09:42:46 am »
Here may be some helpful information for the developers or for a forum member able to interpret the problem and possibly suggest a fix:

If, after upgrading, you still see a symlink to /lib/init/upstart-job, or if there is an /etc/init.d/foo.dpkg-new on the system, something is wrong! Do not upload to Ubuntu until you have figured out why and fixed it.

From: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UpstartCompatibleInitScripts

I don't know how to judge the origin of the installation problem on my system, because I uninstalled and purged Samba4 from the terminal and then reinstalled it from the Zentyal web interface.

And I should clarify my earlier point: my system does have the directory /lib/init/, but no reference within that directory to upstart-job. There are also many other entries (colored red, in a PuTTY SSH session) within /etc/init.d/ that link to /lib/init/upstart-job, not just the one for Samba4:

http://paste.ubuntu.com/6414879/

Is there any hope for my poor domain controller?
« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 10:00:02 am by DFLiddle »

willempoort

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2013, 09:31:59 am »
Before anything else I would suggest you test you (virtual) harddisk on any errors.
Since you have a VM I suppose you have an ext4 volume and not LVM ?!!
ext4 sometimes jumps to read only mode (in fstab by default on error read only).
For whats it's worth File and Sharing module 3.2.9 has a bug (see my ticket 7716) but this is not causing your error.

If the HD is ok I would than try to reinstall the networking module.

BrettonWoods

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2013, 11:01:36 am »
File Sharing and Domain Services   3.2.9

I am the same and it more widespread and seriously wacky.

I can't run the office install from the network.

Files show in the share and when you open a different file the other file in front of your eyes will disappear.
Sometimes they come back but generally logoff and logon is required.

Not sure of the answer.

There is an update that came after 3.2.9 samba4   SMB/CIFS file, NT domain and active directory server (version 4)   4.1.1-zentyal2

But to be honest I haven't worked up the courage to do it yet, at least I can use the authentication.

Is it smbstatus -V with samba4 to get the version as I would be interested if it works.

Currently I am on Version 4.1.1

Maybe smbstatus -L might show that it is a possible lock problem but really don't know.

« Last Edit: November 16, 2013, 11:05:34 am by BrettonWoods »

DFLiddle

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2013, 01:02:23 pm »
After further updates and a (healthy) check of the file system, the server's File Sharing module remained broken. My colleague and I agreed that there would be little benefit to continuing efforts to restore the server, and so I brought it offline today and destroyed the virtual hard disk. Our inclination is not to rebuild it, since the benefits to our small office are questionable.

soorploom

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2013, 01:49:21 pm »
DFL,

I am afraid I have to concur with your opinions. I have used Zentyal for some time now at two sites. Whilst not a business installation, the servers contain multimedia and personal files for most of my family and many friends, the systems being linked via VPN, one master, one backup.

I am a retired network engineer and have to say that this version of Zentyal, 3.2, and all its various patches, Zentyal's strange implementation of Samba4, fixes and forlorn hopes, is one of the worst server based os/applications I have come across in many a long time.

Whilst the Community version is indeed free, there's nothing worse than a cheap meal you don't enjoy and I'm choking on this one. There seems to be no feedback from those at Zentyal on this forum regarding the mess that z3.2 has turned out to be. I would like to assume that there are fixes for those who pay for support. That being the case, are they being denied to community users?

I originally upgraded to 3.2. That was a fail. I have since installed afresh on four different systems, some several times, all with the same results, hassle, weird failures, segfaults and samba being way, way down the river. Sharing being the essence of a server and its ability to so do currently makes 3.2 unstable at best, useless at worst.

The only solutions I can think about, at present, are revert back to and earlier and functional version or go elsewhere. Without Z3.2 being thoroughly fixed in early course, I think I may have to depart the Zentyal scene.

Should I have read the situation incorrectly, I am willing to be corrected, chastised if necessary.

Enjoy your day.

sangamc

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2013, 05:13:10 pm »
sadly i have to agree as well. 2 servers with zentyal 3.2 have both flamed out. Now even fresh installs flame out with the dreaded "samba failed to start" I've been trouble shooting for weeks and finally after seeing this post .... im giving up :(

Lonniebiz

• Zen Samurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2013, 06:00:58 pm »
They continue to work on this disaster that is file sharing in Zentyal 3.2. Today I noticed updates to samba.

One thing I'm going to start doing, is using the bug reporting system over this forum. Each issue I have will be posted as an official bug instead of posting to this forum where everyone is just as confused as I am about these issues we are having with file sharing and "permission of those file shares" on Zentyal 3.2

I did not have this much trouble in Zentyal 3.0. Sometimes my suspicious mind makes me suspect that Zentyal was just getting too good and Microsoft paid off some poor Zentyal developer to corrupt and hinder Zentyal's wonderful progress.

When the next version of Zentyal comes out, you can be sure I'm going to watch these support forums for a couple of months before upgrading myself.

soorploom

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2013, 02:39:10 pm »
Well, after the last pile of patches the other day, now at 3.2.10, I tried it again and again and again and.........flop!

I did get a tad bitchy, having spent so much of my recent life on this, and ended up leaving some thoughts, http://forum.zentyal.org/index.php/topic,18954.0.html

I would love to get it working but methinks I'll go back to ye olde z3.0. Fortunately, I retained those drives for both of my systems. What a hassle!

What is worrying is that, unless I'm totally blind, there seems to be no input from Moderators, experts, Zentyal people at all, on this subject, other than various flurries of even more patches which, thus far, don't work.

Enjoy your day.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2013, 02:46:09 pm by soorploom »

sangamc

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2013, 03:13:16 pm »
I just went back to zentyal 3.1-2 and what a huge difference. from bare bones to fully working PDC in just over 90 minutes. There is definitely something amiss  with the 3.2x versions

pdrass

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2015, 06:21:37 pm »

This came up highly on a Google search so I'll post what fixed this issue for me, I say "fixed" when really it's a temporary work around.

I ssh'd to the server:
    ps -A | grep samba
    pkill samba

On the web interface, I then clicked "restart" and it started.  There were about 10 or so samba processes all running, you see that with the ps -A command.  I don't think the "restart" command kills the bad samba processes and tries to start a new ones without getting rid of the old ones and thus; fails.