Author Topic: Do Nagios and Cacti co-exist with Zentyal 3.2.4?  (Read 1750 times)

pstrebel

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Do Nagios and Cacti co-exist with Zentyal 3.2.4?
« on: November 05, 2013, 09:26:31 am »
Good morning Forum,

Will I screw up Zentyal 3.2 Community edition if I install Nagios and Cacti on the same server?
I need to monitor a small network - about 60 devices, partially on the WAN side and partially on the LAN side of a Zentyal gateway server. Any advice on how to do this?

Found on the forum only older posts refering to previous Zentyal versions  mentioning Cacti and Nagios and then only about issues with PHPMyAdmin.
Any updated info and instructions would be much appreciated.

robb

Re: Do Nagios and Cacti co-exist with Zentyal 3.2.4?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2013, 10:18:34 am »
In general, you can perfectly install applications on a Zentyal server. If they run on an Ubuntu LTS server, they _probably_ will run on a Zentyal server too.

But Nagios and Cacti are quite complex applications and I never dove in those very deeply. Theoretically it should be possible. Maybe you should test first in a VM before you deploy on a live machine. If you have specific questions or have it working, we will be happy to help you with problems you encounter and see some documentation... :)

christian

Re: Do Nagios and Cacti co-exist with Zentyal 3.2.4?
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2013, 10:29:02 am »
Keep in mind that application like Cacti, depending on what you want to monitor and amount of targets, can generate significant amount of network and disk activity. If Zentyal acts as firewall only, it should be OK but before going live, be sure you have ensured that is doesn't impact either proxy or file server performance  ;)