Author Topic: DHCP not working on ebox  (Read 4550 times)

Deathkarr

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
DHCP not working on ebox
« on: September 04, 2009, 11:47:05 am »
Hi all

We have recently downloaded ebox and were wondering if you could help us with some problems we have been having with it.

We only chose to install the printer extension to ebox after the base installation. We then applied strict default policies to eth0 on ebox.  We then removed ebox with sudo apt-get remove ebox-all (this was done because we weren't sure what ebox would do to a pre-existing wireless router).

Once we had attained a GUI on the server we reinstalled ebox: sudo apt-get install ebox-all. This is where we started encountering problems for once we tried to open ebox a bug report came up. So we then started to take off packages until ebox started working again. This was all cool because it did not remove anything we needed. The problem now is that even though we have set-up DHCP and DNS though other ubuntu machines can't access the network. What the hell.

Can someone please tell us how to get DHCP working on ebox so other machines can access it?

We shall post the configuration settings of the Network interfaces on ebox for: network interfaces, DHCP, DNS when we have access to the server again which will be in a few days time.

Here are some details that might help

Hostname:
ubuntuschool

Username:
administrator

J. A. Calvo

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
    • http://blogs.zentyal.org/jacalvo
Re: DHCP not working on ebox
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2009, 12:31:58 pm »
Hi,

Sure that if you show us the configuration it will help to diagnose your problem.

But anyway, if you are new to eBox, I recommend you to check the user manual (http://doc.ebox-platform.com/) in case you haven't done yet.

Regards,

J. A. Calvo
Zentyal Server Lead Developer

Deathkarr

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2009, 12:35:42 am »
:) We've been reading through the manual and found that we probably shouldn't have applied strict default policies to eth0 for that was the one that we were going to set-up DHCP through. Also we don't want to really have to reinstall ebox platform again is there any way we could just install the ebox packages from the CD. What would be the code to completely remove ebox for sudo apt-get remove ebox-all doesn't remove the core system.

So what we thought would be better is if we keep the current ebox platform installed with the GUI and just completely remove ebox. Then reinstall ebox from the CD which will ignore adding strict default policies to eth0. This would also me we could have all the ebox packages instead of having to take some off for ebox to work.

We shall still post our configurations settings before we do just in case it's not the problem of adding strict default policies to eth0.

Deathkarr

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2009, 11:05:50 am »
DHCP works now. Don't know how but, it works. ;D

We were wondering if you guys could give me some more help for other configuration settings for ebox. Possibly in the near future we will be getting a wireless N router and wireless Internet. Is there a way to broadcast ebox settings from the server on to the wireless N router. If so could you please tell us how? Also is it possible to connect the wireless Internet to the server which then shares the Internet to everyone else on the network. Can you guys also tell us how to set-up uses on the server that other machines can access. I think linux uses LDAP but I'm not sure how to configure it.

We will be able to post our configuration settings tomorrow. 

Thanks for all your help

Almost forgot I know this is a newbie question but when you go to insert a picture and you type in the directory, then say preview none of the pictures are shown in the preview?

J. A. Calvo

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2009, 12:41:14 pm »
Hi,

The strict policies are intended only for external interfaces (WAN), if you setup a DHCP server you should do it listening on an internal one.

ebox-all is an empty metapackage, you have to uninstall the ebox package (I recommend with --purge option), and also libebox if you want to purge the configuration. All remaining packages will be also removed as they depend on ebox.

Regards,

J. A. Calvo

Deathkarr

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2009, 09:22:29 am »
Will we need to go through the ebox desktop documentation for us to be able to share uses created by ebox on the server?

J. A. Calvo

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2009, 09:45:03 am »
If you mean that you want to use the same users from ebox on another client machine, the answer is yes, ebox-desktop can be helpful for but. But please take into account that it is into an alpha state. Maybe is not recommendable to use for production.

Regards,

J. A. Calvo

Deathkarr

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2009, 09:53:41 am »
Is it possible to download manually from the ppa website.  Can you tell us what percentage it has of succeeding.

Currently this is a small network that we are still building. The only real chance of the amount of machines increasing considerably would be if ebox could broadcast it's settings onto a DHCP router. Again, we would only be looking at this in the future.

J. A. Calvo

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2009, 10:50:17 am »
Yes, I suppose you can donwload it manually, but you don't have to, you only have to follow the instructions on the howto for installing it (http://trac.ebox-platform.com/wiki/Document/Documentation/EboxDesktop). I'm sorry but I don't know what you mean with the percentage of succeding...

Regards,

J. A. Calvo

Deathkarr

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2009, 12:34:49 pm »
We would like to download it manually because an internet connection is hard to come by. What I mean for percentage of success is what is it's chance of succeeding. Sorry for confusing you.

J. A. Calvo

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2009, 02:07:03 pm »
I suppose you are talking about which are the risk of installing it on production? I only was warning you about it's not a stable product (it's not tested enough) so you can find a undiscovered bug, and maybe there are things that are not much polished. But of course you can succeed installing it.

Regards,

J. A. Calvo

Deathkarr

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2009, 09:46:14 am »

ebox-all is an empty metapackage, you have to uninstall the ebox package (I recommend with --purge option), and also libebox if you want to purge the configuration. All remaining packages will be also removed as they depend on ebox.

Is the purge code sudo apt--purge ebox-all/libeboxor is it sudo --purge ebox-all/libeboxsudo? If it is none of these can you please tell us what the the code is?

J. A. Calvo

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2009, 12:22:50 pm »
sudo apt-get remove --purge ebox (if you want to uninstall all the modules)
sudo apt-get remove --purge libebox (if you want to lose the configuration)

Deathkarr

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2009, 01:55:26 pm »
Thanks

Deathkarr

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2009, 01:20:27 pm »

Can you tell us what settings we will need to use for ebox-desktop as we tried it today and it locked us out. So I don't think the configuration settings for ebox-desktop were right.

Here are the settings just in case the pictures are corrupted:

DHCP
Common Options

Default Gateway   eBox ( we don't have internet yet)
Search Domain    eBox Domain  ubuntusch
Primry Nameserver     local eBox DNS

DHCP Ranges
Interface IP address: 192.168.0.104
Subnet: 192.168.0.0/24
Available Range: 192.168.0.1-192.168.0.254

We then added a range

Ranges

Name                                From                         To
ubuntudakabinhigh             192.168.0.1               192.168.0.8

Advanced Options

Default Leased Time: 1800  seconds
Max Lease Time: 7200 seconds

Thin Client

Next Server: None
File Name:
File path in next server

DNS
ubuntusch

If you need any other settings for you to be able to advise us on what setting we should use for ebox-desktop please tell us.

We have arranged to give the server and a client machine a internet connection though this is only temporary.

Thanks in advance.