Author Topic: create users and groups in new version 3.2  (Read 2178 times)

yura.syrov

• Zen Warrior
    • View Profile
create users and groups in new version 3.2
« on: September 29, 2013, 03:00:55 pm »
I tried to create users and groups in new version 3.2. it seems to me not convenient. in version 3.0 I could create quickly one for one record. in version 3.2 I should glance over down a tree to add the user. excess movement. not conveniently.

christian

Re: create users and groups in new version 3.2
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2013, 03:05:07 pm »
On the other hand, same interface permits to create either group or account or even OU from same interface, so from this standpoint, this is faster...  :P
Joke aside, do you really feel is has significant impact on day-to-day admin tasks ?
Compared to previous version (3.0) this one permits to create OU (organizational units) and create entries attached to this OU. At some time, you will have to select it. I do share that default value may help but... again, is it that painful ?

yura.syrov

• Zen Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2013, 03:13:15 pm »
still I noticed defect! I chose an element "group" in a tree and pressed the button "+", in the appeared window I replaced type of a new element from "group" on "user", filled demanded fields and pressed "add". the new user was created in a "group" tree!

christian

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2013, 03:29:41 pm »
This is *not* what you call a defect  ;)

From your standpoint, container named "group" should only contain groups and "users" container should only contain accounts.
I do understand what you mean (and tend to share) but from LDAP standpoint, unless to add specific controls, such vision doesn't exist  8)
"groups" is a container, like "users" is and within these containers you can create entries that are either account, group, contact or even OU.
From LDAP standpoint, there is nothing wrong. Looking only at LDAP protocol, each entry can also be container.

If you want such additional control to ensure some consistency, then it would mean that at the time you create  container, you associate to it what kind of entry is acceptable.

The point is that based on users requirements and also AD sync constraints, Zentyal team decided to add capability to manage multiple OUs (compared to the unique groups and users we have with Zentyal 2.2) but allowing this without additional features has some side effects (I would not call it, like you do "defect" however):
- you have to think twice when creating entry in order to drop it in the right container (fitting on your own design  ;)
- moving entries from one container to another is not yet possible using Zentyal GUI
- still using Zentyal GUI, you can't change LDAP access control to these containers: e.g. if you create list of contacts in specific OU, changing access control to ensure it will not be visible to all is not feasible (again using Zentyal GUI).

yura.syrov

• Zen Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2013, 03:39:57 pm »
then other "defect" - I created "Organizational Unit" and called it the Russian letters. I wanted to sleep already and didn't notice a typographical error. it was yesterday. today I couldn't remove this element of a tree. by pressing the remove button, there is a window with running green strips and it empty. as a result I had to reinstall the users module.

christian

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2013, 03:43:56 pm »
Good point ! why don't you then create a ticket here ?

yura.syrov

• Zen Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2013, 03:49:11 pm »
I was occupied   ::)

and... why I can't select the text in a widget? it starts moving. sometimes it is necessary to choose, for example, the mac-address...
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 03:52:55 pm by yura.syrov »

robb

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2013, 05:16:34 pm »
why I can't select the text in a widget?
I noticed the same and agree this is quite anoying. It would be much more convenient if text in widgets is selectable so you can copy/paste it.

BrettonWoods

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2013, 01:04:20 am »
I noticed in some of the modules you can now drag and drop to change the order of lists.

Which is great.

I guess the new interface is new and under developement.

I created some users and then had second thoughts about the OU.

Had to delete them and recreate them.

Drag and drop would be a great feature here.