Author Topic: [SOLVED] Zentyal Breaks X11 Forwarding  (Read 3255 times)

ckibodeaux

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
[SOLVED] Zentyal Breaks X11 Forwarding
« on: September 09, 2013, 12:17:28 pm »
I have searched the forums and also a general web search to find a solution to fix X11 forwarding under Zentyal, but have been unable. I have replicated this problem on an installation from CD as well as from the PPA on a fresh server install. I will describe my steps and maybe someone can point out my error. Tests happened on a physical machine as well as a VirtualBox virtual machine.

1.) Fresh install of Ubuntu Server 12.04 with OpenSSH Server. After install run apt-get dist-upgrade to get latest packages.
2.) Test SSH connection. SUCCESS! Test forward of xeyes (an X11 utility). SUCCESS!
3.) Add the PPA Repository for Zentyal (have tried with 3.0 & 3.1 packages) and install zentyal-core.
4.) Test SSH connection. SUCCESS! Test forward of xeyes. SUCCESS!
5.) Install zentyal-software. Open browser and install DHCP, DNS, File Sharing & related modules. Configure modules.
6.) Test SSH connection. SUCCESS but with error "X11 forwarding request failed on channel 0"! Test forward of xeyes. FAIL with error "Error: Can't open display:"!

Also have noticed that if I leave the last successful run of xeyes in step 4 running and continue, the application keeps running uninterrupted but new apps will not open. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 04:25:14 pm by ckibodeaux »

jbahillo

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Zentyal Breaks X11 Forwarding
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2013, 12:21:16 pm »
Hello :

Could you try adding AddressFamily inet (if you are not using ipv4) to sshd options so it only listens on ipv4?

ckibodeaux

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2013, 03:35:40 pm »
THAT DID IT! Hallelujah! I've been fighting with this problem for a couple months now. THANK YOU!

jbahillo

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2013, 04:20:48 pm »
If you issue is solved, please stamp [solved ] on the tile of your post ;)

patmagee1024

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: [SOLVED] Zentyal Breaks X11 Forwarding
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2013, 06:48:36 pm »
This fixed my issue as well. Here's the specifics for others.

Code: [Select]
cd /etc/init
nano ssh.conf

At the bottom of the file is the line calling sshd. Mine had -D as only option. I made it look like this:
exec /usr/sbin/sshd -D -4

because I only use IPV4. Save the file and exit. Then use

Code: [Select]
sudo service ssh restart
Disconnect your session (if you were remoted in) and reconnect via ssh. Mine started X11 forwarding for the first time since install.

Thank you jbahillo!

robb

Re: [SOLVED] Zentyal Breaks X11 Forwarding
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2013, 05:26:24 pm »
patmagee: +1 karma from me for giving the lines in the config files to change. Saves some searching.. :)