Author Topic: no internet  (Read 5233 times)

boardgame

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
no internet
« on: August 21, 2009, 06:36:54 am »
so i can't get internet..  The dashboard shows my external IP address so i am communicating with the modem..

I figure it is a dns issue..   When i go to make dns changes and save i get this error:

"Some modules reported error when saving changes . More information on the logs in /var/log/ebox/

An error happened trying to set the default gateway. Make sure the gateway you specified is reachable."

my default gate is 192.168.1.1 and it is pingable..  ive had to take down my ebox until i figure this one out..

I'm trying to make the changes under network-> dns..

what am i doing wrong.. never had this much trouble with a firewall before..  also im new to ebox.. was on endian before this or should i say i'm on it now..

any help would be great.. i really want to get this up and running.

boardgame

javi

• Zen Hero
    • View Profile
Re: no internet
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2009, 02:14:17 pm »
Do you have any interface configured via DHCP?

boardgame

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2009, 08:35:47 pm »
I did have dhcp configured.. it was giving out my ip.. i just didnt have internet..  well i got fed up and reinstalled the software..  which solved that problem.. now i have another problem..  i install the ebox stuff.  I go to the admin page and when i try to setup the dhcp now i hit save and i lose the admin page for good and dhcp won't start in the command line..

Just a thought tell me if i am wrong but im trying to set this up over wireless...  maybe not all the commands are making it to the ebox and causing a crash of some sort.. im not a linux guru so fixing in command line isn't easy for me..

im about to go and install it again and try to fix it... but everytime i go to save my dhcp setup i lose the web admin page for good now... i don't understand.

my dhcp setup
eth1
static

another thought.. the router that is handing out the ip address to my network is currently 192.168.1.1..  i didn't think it would matter cause they are two separate networks but maybe it does..

javi

• Zen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2009, 09:34:20 pm »
Please clarify for me the following:

- Number of interfaces
- Configuration of each one
- Gateways in Network->Gateways if any

boardgame

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2009, 02:38:26 am »
ok currently i have a endian box running my network..  The endian box is 192.168.1.1 and hands address out based on that scheme.

i take the computer im going to install ebox on and plug it into one of my switches..  the computer i am going to set ebox on is a core2 with four gigs of ram and two nic cards..

I run the setup and autoconfig eth0 and endian gives it a IP of 192.168.1.162..

After install i go to another computer which is wireless and go too 192.168.1.162 and login to the ebox.

I go too Network-> interface -> eth1

I set it up as follow..

eth1
static

I save it and as it is saving the web page freezes and and i lose the web admin page..  and after that i can never reach the admin page again..  I've tried restarting the computer and everything and nothing.. the command line shows that dhcp won't start..

the box is connected to my network for the endian box shows 192.168.1.162 as connected..

what am i doing wrong

boardgame

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2009, 02:48:11 am »
ok this time i thought maybe if i change it to a diffrent ip then the endian box it might work even know it shouldn't matter.

i decided to change it to 192.168.0.1

well this time i didn't lose the admin page BUT when saving it goes through some processes that showes updating 9 things.. when it reaches 8 i get this error message.... 

"Some modules reported error when saving changes . More information on the logs in /var/log/ebox/

The following modules failed while saving their changes"

The logs show nothing i looked...

javi

• Zen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2009, 11:45:54 am »
Do you have the ids module installed? If you have, please go to IDS and select one interface to listen in. We found a bug yesterday. Or if you dont use the IDS, just remove it by running:

"sudo apt-get remove ebox-ids"

By the way, you really need to have the two network interfaces in separated networks...

J. A. Calvo

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
    • http://blogs.zentyal.org/jacalvo
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2009, 01:30:00 pm »
I'm working on the IDS bug and a new package will be uploaded very soon. You can check ebox-software in a few hours to see if the update is available. Meanwhile, delete the package as Javi said.

Regards,

J. A. Calvo
Zentyal Server Lead Developer

boardgame

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2009, 05:05:55 pm »
Thanks guys Removing the IDS worked like a charm..  I had no more saving issues after that..  But unfortunately i won't be able to use ebox for I'm just realizing now that it doesn't support dynamic ISPs...  Too bad really i was really looking forward to taking advantage of all the great features you guys have implemented within the package..  From what i gather ebox looks like an awesome firewall...  Hopefully your next release will include dynamic ISPs for i would love to use ebox within my network..

Im thinking of setting up untangle and Server 2008 for file sharing among other things..  Yea, it isn't as compact as ebox or as awesome but I don't know of anything else that can offer me what ebox offered me...

I guess i could always use a home linksys router as a gateway but for for some reason that doesn't sit well with me.. tell me if im being a moron..  I don't like the idea have having too pass through a third party to get my internet even know it probably wouldn't be any slower... I wonder if home routers these days offer dyndns or something similar to keep track of changing ips..

Sam Graf

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2009, 05:24:45 pm »
I'm probably just reading this wrong, but an eBox connected to a modem that has a dynamic public IP address does work. The external interface (the one connected to the modem) is to be set up for DHCP (allowing it to take whatever address the modem assigns or routes to it). The internal interface is set up with a static address and becomes the gateway for the LAN. The only place where eBox doesn't work with dynamic public IP addresses, so far as I know, is in load balancing situations, where you are manually setting up multiple gateways.

« Last Edit: August 23, 2009, 05:26:42 pm by Sam Graf »

boardgame

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2009, 06:06:04 pm »
Well then maybe im not understanding ebox then....  My understanding of it is that you have to set a gateway for internet.. and you can't set a gateway unless the nic is set to static... 

can you direct me to a step by step on getting the internet to work..

Sam Graf

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2009, 07:32:29 pm »
You don't need to define a gateway if there is only one Internet connection. Under the LAN's DHCP settings, make eBox the gateway. Outside the DNS stuff, that's pretty much it.

I apologize for not being near an eBox so I can write up a quick step-by-step. The basics, from memory, are:

*The DCHP and Network modules need to be enabled.
*One NIC needs to be set as external and have its address assigned by DHCP.
*One NIC needs to be assigned a static address (e.g., 192.168.1.1 if the LAN will use the 192.168.1.0/24 address space).
*Under the DHCP settings, make eBox the default gateway (as described here).

Under this basic setup, there is no need to define a gateway (where, as you noted it is currently necessary to have a static address for the external interface). Ignore that section of the Network setup.

J. A. Calvo

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2009, 08:09:51 pm »
Hi boardgame,

Could you please install the new ebox-ids package and let us know if it gives you problems now? You can remove it after that if you don't need it, it's only to confirm if the issue has been fixed.

Thanks,

J. A. Calvo

boardgame

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2009, 12:34:41 am »
Yes i would be happy to do that.... Remember im still new to ebox..  would like the version number so i don't download the wrong one..  Or does ebox have a update section where it will download thought the web portal and install..

J. A. Calvo

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2009, 01:54:35 am »
The new version of ebox-ids is 1.2.2, you can check that with "apt-cache policy ebox-ids" (run "apt-get update" first). And yes, if you have ebox-software installed you can also access to the "Software Management" menu.

Regards,

J. A. Calvo