Author Topic: newbie on smtp  (Read 2282 times)

sinclair

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
newbie on smtp
« on: March 01, 2008, 10:49:08 am »
Have just installed (am installing) the ubuntu test version. So far so good after I installed openssh in Ubuntu install rather than Ebox.

Now my problem; I can not get the mailserver to send "Relay access denied". The user manual is not very informative on this.

Hope someone can assist me to get the mail working  ???

Javier Amor Garcia

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
Re: newbie on smtp
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2008, 08:37:04 am »
Hello,
  it seems to me that you haven't allowed the host/network to send email. (None is allowed by default).

To give permission, to your host/network you need firstly to create a object which contains the host network.
Then, you must go to Mail->General and click in the 'settings' tab. There you will find a section called 'Relay policy for objects', move your object to the allowed column and save the changes.

Cheers,
  Javier

sinclair

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2008, 08:51:14 am »
Hello,
  it seems to me that you haven't allowed the host/network to send email. (None is allowed by default).

To give permission, to your host/network you need firstly to create a object which contains the host network.
Then, you must go to Mail->General and click in the 'settings' tab. There you will find a section called 'Relay policy for objects', move your object to the allowed column and save the changes.

Cheers,
  Javier
I did try this, after some "net-running" I found hints on this (no hard criticism but if Ebox is aimed at newbies then the manual could do with a bit more detail on stuff like this....) but it did not help one bit. Same error message.

DHCP does not seem to work either and I can not for the life figure out the DNS config.

I have configured one interface with ip, gateway and nameservers during install, these are available in the DHCP setup but nothing seems to be "handed out". The process is running...

At this moment basically only the Fileserver and ssh are working. SSH I installed from ubuntu during installation.

Javier Amor Garcia

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2008, 01:35:48 pm »
sorry, i overlooked the fact you're running ubuntu; the ubunutu-gutsy packages are for testing purposes so is possible you have hit a bug. (The stable packages will be released over hardy).

Anyway, can you try to send again and afterwards take a look to the log file at /var/log/mal.log and put the last lines here? Maybe we can found a hint of what is going on,

sinclair

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2008, 01:55:41 pm »
Thanks for taking time with this. For now I have too many other problems (looooong story) and am only using the fileserver/pdc part. Will wait for the Hardy packages.

Please please though - make an upgrade possible as otherwise the users here will kill me...