Author Topic: Zentyal 3.0.21 Sync users from Active Directory  (Read 2093 times)

adam.barber

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Zentyal 3.0.21 Sync users from Active Directory
« on: June 27, 2013, 07:32:15 am »
Hi, We would like to use the Zentyal server as a gateway out to the internet on one of our wireless networks. we would like to use the captive portal so that users have to authenticate to get out. if possible we would like to sync or users from an existing Active Directory to zentyal server.
Could some one point me in the right direction if this is possible and which modules we will need installed.

I did find this document http://trac.zentyal.org/wiki/Documentation/Community/HowTo/ActiveDirectorySync but it appears to be for an old version. is there the same for 3.0.21?
Thanks

adam.barber

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Zentyal 3.0.21 Sync users from Active Directory
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2013, 09:46:41 am »
can any one tell me if this is possible?? if not we need to find another product?
 :'(

christian

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2013, 09:59:51 am »
All what you are asking is described here.
Or do I misunderstand your question ?

adam.barber

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2013, 10:03:14 am »
yes i see it there in the features but when trying to follow the instructions in the original post they are for an old version.. and i do not have the option..
either i am missing a module or something but i cant see where to sync AD with Zentyal.

christian

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2013, 10:54:15 am »
I know this may look strange as DC concept should not be tightly linked with file sharing service but this is the way is worked in the ancient time with Windows and also the way it still work with Samba 4.
So documentation for this feature is indeed described in the "file sharing" section of documentation.

But if goal is only to have captive portal with AD based authentication, isn't Zentyal a bit overkilling  ???

adam.barber

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2013, 03:10:48 am »
Thanks for pointing us to the right module.. after reading through that it is seeming a bit extreme. we don't really want to add the zentyal server as an additional domain controller. we would just like to sync the ad accounts with the Zentyal so we can use the captive portal, filtering and bandwidth limiting.

christian

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2013, 07:23:40 am »
However, this is the way it work: sync with AD means Zentyal DC is enabled.