Author Topic: [SOLVED] Zentyal + Zimbra + Briefcase  (Read 3466 times)

jentino

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
[SOLVED] Zentyal + Zimbra + Briefcase
« on: June 18, 2013, 10:30:12 pm »
I managed to migrate 5 branches of decentralized Novell Groupwise servers to a single Zimbra 8.0.3 server. All good.

Next deliverable is to replace Novell Netware 7 with Zentyal 3.0.21 and use Zimbra ldap credentials for users to log on with on Zentyal. How can I do this? Is this possible. Remember I just want to authenticate so no need to involve the entire ldap schema from Zimbra.

Final step is to automatically create a Windows 7 network drive mapped to Zimbra Briefcase using webdav as soon as the user logs in to Zentyal -  (I can successfully map a drive to a user's Zimbra Briefcase on a Windows 7 machine by using NetDrive).

I hope I am making sense, if not, please indicate for clarity.

in short:
1. User logs on to Zentyal domain
2. Zentyal authenticates against Zimbra ldap (maybe using ldap replication through polling?)
3. Zentyal create a map to http://zimbraserver/dav/user@domain.com/Briefcase and presents this as a drive for the user.

This is only high-level at the moment, im merely thinking aloud, looking for more info to help me think in the right direction..if its all possible.

Thanks in anticipation
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 05:51:17 pm by jentino »

christian

Re: Zentyal + Zimbra + Briefcase
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2013, 08:35:04 am »
I won't comment about
1. User logs on to Zentyal domain
neither at
3. Zentyal create a map to http://zimbraserver/dav/user@domain.com/Briefcase and presents this as a drive for the user.
because I don't understand what's behind this but what I can tell you is that, yes, you can have application like Zimbra using LDAP back-end for authentication.
I don't understand what you mean with " (maybe using ldap replication through polling?)" but you can directly access Zentyal LDAP.

Devil being in the detail, please notice that if using Zentyal 2.x, you can access Zentyal LDAP anonymously in order to authenticate users while starting with 3.0, you have to authenticate, using "zentyalro" account first.
This is to me a kind or regression as you have to spread this account elsewhere in environment you perhaps don't control but this is the way it works  8)

ichat

• Zen Hero
  • RTFM!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2013, 08:51:34 am »
@chris i think hes actually upside down,   as i understand (but correct me if im wrong) he wants zentyal to athenticate against   the zimbra  server not   zimbra against   zentyal...

if im right,  than my short answer is,  the fact that your even asking here in this forum tell me that you will never succeed unless you go to zentyal.com and pay top dollar (euro), for professional deployment advice.

the longer answer would ivolve me explaining   why this is sutch a bad-idea (TM) and why you shoul have migrated your ldap / user data to zentyal  and than  bind your groupware servers   

but really that would be a long and boaring story for you to read and even more so for me to write.. 
also if he feals up to the challenge  chris is mutch better at providing detail than i would ever be
All tips hints and advices are based on my personal experience.
As I try my best to be as accurate as possible, following my advice is always at your own risk,
I claim absolutely NO responsibility in any way!

christian

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2013, 09:00:14 am »
oh  :-[ you're right, I totally misunderstood his point (either reading to fast or not believing what my eyes were seeing or even because of my broken English...)

Anyway, you're perfectly right  ;)
Let me read it again but short answer is already "no way"...  ;)

jentino

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2013, 10:44:25 am »

I don't understand what you mean with " (maybe using ldap replication through polling?)" but you can directly access Zentyal LDAP.

iChat is right. I want Zentyal to use Zimbra to authenticate users.  Christian, by "replication through polling" im refering to something similar to syncrepl. Ignore the webdav question, I managed to map a drive to a webdav directory last night.

Thanks guys for the interest. .

christian

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2013, 10:49:25 am »
Zentyal is designed to "replicate" (kind of) with AD or other Zentyal servers but not designed to synchronize with other repositories (would it be other OpenLDAP servers) and also not designed to rely on external LDAP server.

If this is a must for you, I suggest you join the "Zentyal gathering" discussion and raise you request once they have define how to handle such request.

jentino

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2013, 05:12:03 pm »
[update]
I managed to get Zimbra to authenticate to Zentyal. (The other way round from my original thinking) and all is working.

I made zentyal the master ldap
pointed the zimbra external auth to the zentyal ldap master (used ldap query filter from Zimbra to Zentyal)
configured a netlogon directory on Zentyal to initiate a login script that maps to a Zimbra webdav directory

christian

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2013, 05:27:12 pm »
This is, as I initially suggested, the right way to proceed  ;)
Keep in mind to stamp first post title as [SOLVED] once it works

jentino

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
[SOLVED] Re: Zentyal + Zimbra + Briefcase
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2013, 05:50:16 pm »
This is, as I initially suggested, the right way to proceed  ;)

Thanks for your help  8)