Author Topic: Upgrading eBox to alphas specifically 1.1.41 this time  (Read 2430 times)

Saturn2888

• Zen Hero
    • View Profile
Upgrading eBox to alphas specifically 1.1.41 this time
« on: July 12, 2009, 09:18:06 am »
Anytime I do upgrades, I normally get errors that the /ebox/ folder it's trying to install to isn't owned by the current user no matter if I'm root or a user.

Half of the time I do an upgrade for eBox, something breaks major and I have to manually recover. When restarting my server, the eth1, eth3, and eth3:1 don't come up for some reason w/ eBox. Also, this time, dhcpd3 wasn't wanting to run. After restarting my server I was finally able to get it to work. Something was also wrong w/ DNS but I dunno what the issue was. Other than DHCPd3, everything else was working surprisingly fine even my webserver, RAID, and other networked disks.

I hope this information helps. Maybe you guys can make some kinda script or module that checks to make sure I have all the packages installed right and stuff.

When trying to manually upgrade certain software packages which obviously aren't upgrading properly using the eBox automatic updates, I get this error:
Code: [Select]
The packages installation has not finished correctly . More information on the logs

root command sh -c 'export DEBIAN_FRONTEND="noninteractive" && /usr/bin/apt-get install --no-download -q --yes ebox-remoteservices' failed. Error output
I've had this error since 1.1.30. The messed up packages are attached.
Trying to save a Full Backup, I get this error:
Some error has happened in eBox:
Error dumping the postgresql database eboxlogs
Configuration backups work just fine.

I can't seem to access any of my shares. I think samba is down. Yeah, the File Sharing module was also disabled for some reason. It wanted me to save changes but it didn't appear to have anything to save so I don't know what happened there.

Now it's all working for me. There's my 1.1.41 upgrade experience for you. I usually upgrade every time something new hits which means I'm on the bleeding edge of eBox so to say.

martinique

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
Re: Upgrading eBox to alphas specifically 1.1.41 this time
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2009, 08:18:56 am »
I was just about to report similar issues, but then found this existing thread, and I can confirm. I think my upgrade problems begun with 1.1.40, and just a moment ago, when I SSH'ed to my eBox server and ran a regular apt-get upgrade (eBox now reached version 1.2), the connection broke while installing ebox-network, IIRC.

sudo dhclient eth0
That brought eBox back online, and this time everything seems to be fine after that, unlike the first time, when I had to change module statuses to get Samba back online.

I also get the same error when trying to do a full backup, and with issues like these I'd really need some backups.

Saturn2888

• Zen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2009, 08:23:41 am »
Yep. Mine died at the network service too. And yours is at 1.2 now? I'm too scared to try until someone confirms this is fixed.

I ran apt-get dist-upgrade. It does the same thing but also checks for a new kernel.

martinique

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2009, 08:30:40 am »
Yeah, I also did dist-upgrade.

c4rdinal

• Zen Samurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2009, 08:44:44 am »
I think it is important to know from the mods if it's safe to do dist-upgrade from Ebox-1.0 to 1.2. Before doing any upgrade on your production server. If not, any known issues and workaround?

Can anyone confirm this please?

Thanks

« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 08:47:24 am by c4rdinal »

Saturn2888

• Zen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2009, 08:46:30 am »
Well I said I'd help test it out, but I was hoping big things like that wouldn't break :P. Yeah, I'm running it on my production server which is scary, but I trust the devs know what they're doing enough. I mean, it wasn't so bad it was unfixable, but I did have to manually log into the machine.

martinique

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2009, 10:12:03 am »
I've been afraid to reboot my eBox machine ever since the first upgrade problems, but decided to try it now, and things are ill.

A quick ifconfig indicated that eth0 was gone, so obviously the DHCP client didn't start, and once again I had to run it manually to gain access to the admin interface. I'm glad I have physical access to my eBox server, because in this broken state it'd be useless in a remote location.

Samba and Jabber (those are the ones I most need) were both down, so I tried the same method as before (disabling and re-enabling modules from the admin interface). As I clicked to save changes, eBox said:

eBox detected that some files which need to be overwritten have been modified by you.

Do you wish to overwrite these files?

I probably should've written the file names down before accepting the overwrites, but I was in a hurry to get the services running again. I think all 3 files listed were LDAP-related, and I'm pretty sure I have modified only one of them to make LDAP accessible from other computers, as instructed here: http://trac.ebox-platform.com/wiki/Document/Documentation/EboxDesktop

Can someone else, who has had these upgrade problems, confirm that after them a reboot kills eBox like this?
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 10:23:35 am by martinique »

martinique

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2009, 01:25:04 pm »
OK, finally a step forward; In another thread (http://forum.ebox-platform.com/index.php?topic=1526.0) I've been describing some problems with User Corner, and the devs found a bug:

Ok, there was a bug that affected the network restart process. It's already fixed in ebox-network 1.2.1.

I'm eager to see if this fixes these upgrade/reboot problems for good.

martinique

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2009, 02:16:11 pm »
The latest ebox-network package (1.2.1) installed fine, without breaking network connections, and after a reboot I no longer had to start stuff manually. Since this was the only major issue, I assume that upgrading from 1.1.x to 1.2 is pretty safe now. Can anyone confirm that the fix works for others as well?

alvinquah

• Zen Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2009, 03:20:03 pm »
so can i confirm the methods that you guys do the upgrade is via apt-get dist-upgrade? I have just installed 1.1.40beta1. Thanks
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 03:22:08 pm by alvinquah »

javi

• Zen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2009, 04:36:47 pm »
Yep, upgrading from 1.1.x to 1.2 is safe.

alvinquah

• Zen Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2009, 04:43:05 pm »
Thanks. I have tried apt-get dist-upgrade but it seems that it prompt for ebox installer disc. I have put in and it doesn't work. but doing apt-get upgrade does work though. Any diff between apt-get dist-upgrade and apt-get upgrade?

javi

• Zen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2009, 05:04:51 pm »
You can get rid of the cdrom issue if you edit /etc/apt/sources and delete the line that starts with "deb cdrom".

Thanks!

alvinquah

• Zen Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2009, 06:23:37 pm »
Hi Javi,

I have managed to upgrade the latest version 1.2 but my ebox components are still showing as 1.1.40. Is it complete?
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 06:25:16 pm by alvinquah »

javi

• Zen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2009, 06:36:33 pm »
Run this to update the cache. It will do it automatically at midnight though

{{{
sudo ebox-software
}}}