Author Topic: Zentyal 3.1 - Samba Compatibility with Windows 95/98  (Read 6141 times)

ddr400

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Zentyal 3.1 - Samba Compatibility with Windows 95/98
« on: April 03, 2013, 11:14:25 am »
I'm having problems with the samba 4 vs old windows clients in the Zentyal 3.1 version.

When i try to connect from windows 95 to an Zentyal share, the client returns me an authentication error.

After some research, I had add this lines to the [global] section of samba config file (/usr/share/zentyal/samba/smb.conf.masc file to be implemented in the "run" conf file of samba).

lanman auth = Yes
client lanman auth = Yes
client plaintext auth = Yes 

After doing that, i also made a complete restart of the server (not only the smb service) but I'm having the same problem.

christian

Re: Zentyal 3.1 - Samba Compatibility with Windows 95/98
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2013, 11:18:03 am »
1 - where di you get Zentyal 3.1 from ? I'm not aware this is already available. Or do you mean 3.01 ?
2 - You may have to read some documentation first: modifying smb.conf will not work because Samba relies on templates. Have a look here and modify stubs file if needed.

ddr400

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2013, 02:04:08 pm »
Forgive me but the Zentyal version is 3.0.1 (and not 3.1).
I will see the docummentation.

Thanks for the reply!

ddr400

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2013, 02:08:40 pm »
1 - where di you get Zentyal 3.1 from ? I'm not aware this is already available. Or do you mean 3.01 ?
2 - You may have to read some documentation first: modifying smb.conf will not work because Samba relies on templates. Have a look here and modify stubs file if needed.

About you second point, i have made the docummented change in the template (if i see the smb.conf "run" file, the changes made effect) but, I can't login in a share using windows 95 or 98 clients...

ddr400

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2013, 03:50:54 pm »

Christin, do you have any ideas that could help me?
I had use a lot of Samba documentation but notting works...

christian

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2013, 04:15:57 pm »
Win 95 being quite old, I've to admit that I don't remember the very detail. For sure, authentication works slightly differently (reason why clear text password has to be authorized) and name resolution. I'm not sure Win 95 is able to rely 100% on TCP/IP. WINS is mandatory. Is Samba configured to emulate WINS server and do you push this via DHCP ?

What I would suggest in order to investigate is to split problem as much as possible to distinguish between protocol related issues and authentication.
Did you try to create share that is anonymously readable ? If yes, can you browse and access it from Win95 client?
This is the first step. Once this is achieved, then we can focus on authentication.

ddr400

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2013, 04:51:29 pm »
I've found the solution...

It's only add this lines in the mask of the samba conf file:

lanman auth = yes
os level = 100

Restart the samba services and now it's compatible with the windows 95 clients.

Thanks for the help!

christian

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2013, 05:05:53 pm »
ahahah !  ;D
You don't tell us everything and especially what really matters regarding WINS.

If you ave to raise OS level up to 100, it means that you have elsewhere on your LAN either another WINS server (e.g. Windows server) or misconfiguration at client level)  :o
As Win 95 does rely on WINS, error at this level prevents UNC (Windows names) to be resolved.

In standard environment, it should work with:
Code: [Select]
    local master = yes
    preferred master = yes
    os level = 65

Thus check other devices on your network to discover what's wrong with other (potential) master browsers.

ddr400

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2013, 01:50:25 pm »
Hi Christian,

I think that i may have a compatibility problem with this configuration....
After i autenticate a windows 7 client in the Zentyal domain, i can access to the samba shares (for example \\srv\share1) but i can't access to all shares list (\\srv)

Do you have any idea?

Best Regards

Sam Graf

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2013, 02:27:11 pm »
I have not been careful about investigating this so I could be wrong and my experience was in a workgroup context, but for what it's worth: I noticed that the shares list seems not to be available in cases where there is no unprotected share.

ddr400

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2013, 02:54:28 pm »
Sam Graf, in the server i had an temp folder with guest access configured (\\srv\temp can be accessed but \\srv returns an permission error)

ichat

• Zen Hero
  • RTFM!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2013, 04:08:42 pm »
seams like    in  smb config   browsable  is  set to false...  im not sure ... if its possible to fix  with the webgui  buit you can add it to the  zentyal / samba  .mas  file...
All tips hints and advices are based on my personal experience.
As I try my best to be as accurate as possible, following my advice is always at your own risk,
I claim absolutely NO responsibility in any way!

ddr400

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2013, 07:16:47 pm »
Hi,

Could somebody help me about this issue?

This is my smb.conf file.

[global]
    workgroup = Company
    realm = Company.LOCAL
    netbios name = SRVDADOS
    server string = SRVDADOS
    server role = dc
    server role check:inhibit = yes
    server services = s3fs, rpc, wrepl, ldap, cldap, kdc, drepl, winbind, ntp_signd, kcc, dnsupdate
    server signing = auto

interfaces = lo,eth0
    bind interfaces only = yes

log level = 3
    log file = /var/log/samba/samba.log

#    guest ok = yes
#    map to guest = bad user
#    guest account = nobody
#    auth methods = guest sam_ignoredomain

lanman auth = yes
client lanman auth = yes
client plaintext auth = yes

#LIXO:security = user

#ldap ssl = off

#lixo
#local master = yes
#preferred master = yes
#os level = 65

Using this specific configuration, in a windows 95 I can browse all samba shares. Using other windows clients, I can browse single shares (for example \\SRVDADOS\TEMP) but if i try to browse \\SRVDADOS, the windows client (2000, XP, vista, 7 or 8) returns me the message - permission deny - Procediment out of range).

I realy need some help with this... I am considering the windows server solution but it's too expensive the days that we are having.

Thanks

Sam Graf

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2013, 08:09:11 pm »
Keeping in mind that just a part of all Zentyal users (apparently) participate in these forums, it's possible that no one here knows the solution. You're welcome to ask for help here of course, but just to improve your prospects for getting useful answers have you tried to find help through resources specializing in Samba? I'm thinking of #samba on IRC, for example.

ddr400

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
[SOLVED] Re: Zentyal 3.1 - Samba Compatibility with Windows 95/98
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2013, 08:44:02 am »
I finally found the problem: Samba don't support special caracters in the share comments.
After I remove all the special Portuguese caracters in the Zentyal interface, all windows clients can browse all samba shares using \\server function.