Author Topic: [SOLVED] Using the web server on eBox 0.11.99  (Read 8520 times)

ebox-steve

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
[SOLVED] Using the web server on eBox 0.11.99
« on: February 20, 2008, 04:57:12 pm »
Dear eBox team,

Please advise me on how to use the new web server the proper way. To begin, where do I suppose to put my web folder on? I tried to put mine under /var/www/ but my Firefox just would not open it, and instead it said:

404 Not Found
The requested URL /<folder_name>/ was not found on this server.

Even more puzzling to me, I put a simple code of "Hello World" HTML file on the folder /var/www/, and yet my browser keeps grumbling the same thing.

I didn't enable "per user public_html" though, are we suppose to use public_html only?

Oh yes, one more thing, does eBox comes with PHP and MySQL? I tried to find out by executing "apache2ctl status" but the respond was:

Not Found

The requested URL /server-status was not found on this server.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apache/2.0.54 (Debian GNU/Linux) Server at localhost Port 80

If they are not, how do I get them installed on eBox then?

Best regards,
Steve
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 01:58:55 pm by ebox-steve »

sixstone

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
    • Sixstone's blog
Re: Using the web server on eBox 0.11.99
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2008, 09:57:55 am »
Hello Steve,

There are two possibilities here, if you use the named virtual host. You must create a new one, for instance www.example.com, which creates the DNS entry in the DNS module. Then, the data stored in /var/www/www.example.com directory will be displayed. You must enable the DNS module and point your clients there to resolve the Web server pages. In order to set your own configuration for the virtual host, a directory to place your configuration file is created for you under /etc/apache2/sites-available/user-ebox-www.example.com/. There, you can place the configuration for your favourite application container such as mod_python, mod_php or whatever.

The public_html option is simpler. If you enable it, the eBox users may create a public_html directory in his samba shared directory and put inside whatever they want. To access this content, the url to enter is http://<eBoxIP>/~<username>, for instance user "johndoe", the URL is http://10.0.0.1/~johndoe.

I hope this helps.
My secret is my silence...

drdebian

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2008, 03:13:01 pm »
Can you explain how eBox interacts with Apache2 on Ubuntu 8.04 LTS? Which parts of the Apache2 configuration are managed by eBox and which parts can I control?

You see, I'd like to use Munin to monitor my eBox server, but it puts it's output under /var/www/munin and in the default configuration, I can't access anything on port 80, even though nmap says that port 80 is listening.

capcaunu

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Don't use eBox as a web server.
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2009, 06:09:57 pm »
The post is old, but in case someone reads it:

Don't use eBox as a web server platform because:

Specific web server software does not come with the default installation. I can't remember exactly what was and what was not installed because I tried this a while ago.

You can install apache2, php, mysql, ftp, etc, but it's hard to configure them after that and get them to work properly. Most likely you won't be able to.

You can't see what's happening behind the scene. When I got eBox running, I created users, shares, and then wondered where's everything, what to share, where's public_html, where's phpmyadmin, why aren't php scripts running, etc. A linux expert knows these things, but I needed to see lists of files and folders in order to know where I was and what was happening.

My suggestion: If you want to use your machine for file printing/sharing, use eBox.
If you want to use it as a web server/development server for web based applications install ubuntu server, select all packages (ssh, web server, mail server, print server, etc) and then run sudo apt-get install webmin
you can access the webmin interface by typing https://server.ip:10000
You'll be ok from there.

javi

• Zen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2009, 08:42:41 pm »
The ebox-webserver module is just a simple module that only allows you to create virtual hosts and share public_html folders.

It's not meant to configure your apache server in order to install PHP applications or whatever. So you are right about not using eBox  as a web server/development server for web based applications.

I guess we should clarify this on the package description and on the web site to avoid this kind of misunderstanding :)
« Last Edit: February 21, 2009, 08:50:23 pm by javi »

steph

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2009, 11:43:13 pm »
If one is running Ubuntu Server 8.04 for an office of 8 users and wants to both serve files with Samba using eBox (currently in production and working well, thank you very much) AND have an intranet wiki hosted on the same machine, what would you propose as the best setup?

Would webmin be useful? Can this be run at the same time as eBox?

What about just installing 'MoinMoin'? Will it interfere with eBox or vice versa?

sixstone

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
    • Sixstone's blog
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2009, 10:21:38 am »
Would webmin be useful? Can this be run at the same time as eBox?

What about just installing 'MoinMoin'? Will it interfere with eBox or vice versa?
Webmin and eBox are incompatible every time you access the same file with both systems.

Regarding to moinmoin, it will NOT interfere in any way with eBox since eBox is listening with a complete separate instance of Apache daemon. Nothing to do with apache2 system configured one.

Best regards,
« Last Edit: February 26, 2009, 10:24:37 am by sixstone »

steph

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2009, 04:18:10 am »
Thanks for your reply 'sixstone'.

Regarding to moinmoin, it will interfere in any way with eBox since eBox is listening with a complete separate instance of Apache daemon. Nothing to do with apache2 system configured one.

Sorry, I'm not knowledgeable enough to understand this. My server was setup and administered with eBox. Can MoinMoin run on my server with no problems?

Do eBox and MoinMoin run on different versions of Apache?

Would eBox be able to configure Apache for MoinMoin, or must I do that manually through the command line?

sixstone

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
    • Sixstone's blog
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2009, 10:27:36 am »
Sorry for not being clear enough.... :(

Do eBox and MoinMoin run on different versions of Apache?
Yes.
Would eBox be able to configure Apache for MoinMoin, or must I do that manually through the command line?
You must configure manually using command line. Using ebox-webserver, eBox will create a virtual host for you and an entry in DNS if necessary...

Best regards,