Author Topic: [SOLVED] Users folders are not automatically shared?  (Read 2452 times)

fatbob

• Zen Warrior
    • View Profile
[SOLVED] Users folders are not automatically shared?
« on: March 06, 2013, 12:04:43 pm »
Hi

I was looking through the documentation for the file sharing and authentication and it makes the following statement:

File sharing is integrated with users and groups. Each user has a personal directory and each group can be assigned a shared directory.

The user’s personal directory is automatically shared and can only be accessed by the user.

Although each user has a share under /home on the zentyal box this is not shared automatically. I presumed this was because I had not checked the Enable roaming profiles box. Since I didn't want to enable roaming profiles I just created shares for those users that needed them under /samba/shares.

Is the behaviour I'm seeing incorrect? Should the users home folder be shared as suggested by the documentation? Or should the last line of the documentation say something like:

The user’s personal directory is automatically shared if roaming profiles are enabled.  It can only be accessed by the user.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 09:19:29 pm by fatbob »

jwilliams1976

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Users folders are not automatically shared?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2013, 10:13:50 pm »
I agree the documentation is confusing here. The personal directory is NOT automatically shared as stated. It does not matter whether roaming profiles are enabled or not. To make a shared directory for your users follow these directions:

1) Under Office->Users and Groups->Groups  Add a new group with whatever name you would like.
2) The group should show up at the bottom now. Click the gear icon under Edit next to that group and add all users you want to share a directory with.
3) Under Office->File Sharing->Shares tab Click Add New.
4) Name the share and decide where to place it. The default "Directory under Zentyal" is fine. Click ADD.
5) It should now show up under Shares at the bottom. Click the gear icon under Access Control and select Group and the group you created in step 1. Then select what permissions you would like for the users. Click ADD.

You can add as many groups and shares as you would like.

fatbob

• Zen Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2013, 02:04:32 am »
Hi there

Yes I had already created per user shares manually as I only have a few users. It would seem from your experience that this statement in the documentation is also incorrect. I know from previous samba systems that the homes share should indeed automatically share out a users home folder.

This looks like a bug (or at least an error in the docs.) I've raised case 6283 for this. I'll see what happens...

jwilliams1976

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2013, 06:54:20 pm »
I thinks it's just confusing documentation. What they mean to say is that the users linux system account home directory is automatically shared by Samba as an smb share. The way they describe it makes it sound like it would also be accessible by other users as well. Although they do qualify that statement saying it is only accessible by the user.

fatbob

• Zen Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2013, 07:28:54 pm »
Ah in that case I think you misunderstood what I was saying

What i was saying was that if a user logs in to samba they do not see there folder shared and it its not accessable.

Ie \\myserver\username does not exist

Joeg1484

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2013, 09:14:56 pm »
Ah in that case I think you misunderstood what I was saying

What i was saying was that if a user logs in to samba they do not see there folder shared and it its not accessable.

Ie \\myserver\username does not exist

Just an observation I had that I thought I would pass along...

If you are using ADUC (Active directory users and computers) to add users to Zentyal, then the user will have to log into the system once before their home directory is created with LDAP.

If you use the Zentyal interface to create the users account, then its immediate.

Also, by default, the users share are not browsable (Can see this by looking at smb.conf in /etc/samba.) If you want to change this, you should modify the mas file for smb.conf.

These are some things I noticed when working with 3.0.

Hope this helps!
Joe

fatbob

• Zen Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2013, 04:45:15 pm »
Cheers Joe.

fatbob

• Zen Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: [SOLVED] Users folders are not automatically shared?
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2013, 09:19:53 pm »
This seems to work in my current version 3.0.15

otoh

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: [SOLVED] Users folders are not automatically shared?
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2013, 05:22:04 pm »
This seems to work in my current version 3.0.15

Can you confirm how? I am having the same issue. I've modified my smb.conf.mas so that homes is browsable; when I connect to the server, I see homes in the list of shares, but it fails to connect.

I can navigate directly to my personal directory at smb://myserver/myusername, but ideally I'd like these to be browse-to-able. Is this doable? If not, I don't have many users so I can just create shares; but it would be nice to use the standard folders.