Author Topic: Intermittent LAN access to Zentyal from client machines  (Read 1658 times)

yusuf.rajah

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Intermittent LAN access to Zentyal from client machines
« on: February 25, 2013, 01:53:47 pm »
Hi All

I am having a very strange and painful problem with two totally different sites with different versions of Zentyal but presenting the same issue.

Basically I am able to connect to both sites over the Internet and when logged in at the terminal, I am able to ping client machines but those machines cannot ping the server. The firewall is set to accept all connections from the LAN. Both sites use Zentyal as a gateway, DNS and mail server. The client machines can occasionally do a DNS lookup but mostly it times out. Even connecting to the server for IMAP and SMTP sometimes works and sometimes does not, however from the Internet I can access these protocols without issue.

All worked perfectly up until three days ago. I have made no changes accept the usual Zentyal updates. These machines are running the Community editions of Zentyal. The plan was to prove to the client that Zentyal was the way to go with a proof of concept by this snag has hurt my chances.

There is another Linux server at one of the sites and it does not seem to be phased by this issue, its not running Zentyal. I have tried everything I could think of but nothing has worked.

Any ides?

christian

Re: Intermittent LAN access to Zentyal from client machines
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2013, 02:08:03 pm »
No idea, sorry  :-[ but some questions to ease investigation.

- what is Zentyal version on each site ?
- could you describe network topology ?
- when you face this problem, could you try "tracert" (or traceroute depending on your OS) from your client. e.g. try, on Windows
Code: [Select]
tracert 164.177.148.119- would you mind then trying the same from Zentyal server ?
- are your clients DHCP clients ? Is Zentyal the default gateway ?

yusuf.rajah

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Intermittent LAN access to Zentyal from client machines
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2013, 02:58:18 pm »
Hi Christian

It seems to be firewall related. I switched it off and clients where able to connect. What confuses me is that the LAN interface is set to Accept All traffic and it worked fine for weeks up until three days ago, I did not change the Firewall configs. Maybe this is a bug?