Author Topic: Dynamic DNS - dont see any hosts  (Read 1580 times)

pc-dok

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Dynamic DNS - dont see any hosts
« on: February 06, 2013, 10:20:48 am »
hi zentyal team

i have installed the zentyal 3.0.10, and i enable dynamic DNS in the DHCP Options, and also in the Network - Dynamic DNS. I have now 3 Win7 Clients over DHCP, i see them in the overview, but not in the DNS Section. So how came this Clients than in the DNS Section. What is here wrong, or do i understand the Dynamic DNS Option false?

For me it is possible, that Clients who came over DHCP, that than the FQDN of this client (client1.test.net) became a entry in the DNS. How i must configure zentyal to make that so?

regards
pc-dok

christian

Re: Dynamic DNS - dont see any hosts
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2013, 10:38:57 am »
What is exactly your expectation here?
If you expect to see records in DNS section showing DHCP entries, answer is no  :( this doesn't exist.
If your goal is to be able to resolve names (therefore relying on DNS), then this should work. Did you try? using nslookup or similar command?

pc-dok

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2013, 12:17:13 pm »
Hi christian

yes, your first answer is that what i want, i mean zentyal will be a OS that are concurrent with SBS Server from Windows, so under Windows when you make DomainJoin the Computeraccount goes in the Computer-OU and also a DNS Entry will be create. That is what i want, also in Zentyal :)

When i make a nslookup on a Linux client i get this answer:

[root@dhcp-192-168-10-16 ~]# nslookup labllnx02
Server:         192.168.10.254
Address:        192.168.10.254#53

** server can't find labllnx02: SERVFAIL

Hmm so i think this is also not working properly!

Any Ideas how to make a correct DNS Entry for those clients, i mean without make it by hand?

greetz

pc-dok

pc-dok

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2013, 12:55:26 pm »
ok, the point with nslookup was my fault, it works correct, so this we can leave. but the point with the automatic dns entry in dns manager, why this zentyal can not implement? is that so difficult?

greetz

franco

christian

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2013, 01:00:27 pm »
Having such entries visible in DNS management interface.... No I've no idea.... and frankly speaking, I don't see what would be the added value  ::) (except if goal is to check what are the allocated names, which you can find in dashboard.
If I remember well, there is a pending request in "ideazentyal". have a look there  ;)

You can resolve names, which is what really matters, isn't it?

pc-dok

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2013, 12:46:28 pm »
hi christian

yes for me it is working so correct, and ok, you dont see the hosts in the zentyal dns, but with rsat tools - dns, there i see the linux machines. but what i dont see, is the 3 windows7 clients. nslookup on windows7 clients dont work, because they make no ddns update. did u know, how to setup the windows7 clients right, so that they make also a dns entry in the DNS from Zentyal?

regards

pc-dok