Author Topic: vsftpd turn off text strings response codes?  (Read 1738 times)

ccreamer

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
vsftpd turn off text strings response codes?
« on: January 30, 2013, 05:06:13 pm »
Is there a way to configure vsftpd to only respond with codes and not the full response string?

Example: with text string

Response: 200 Switching to Binary mode.
Command: PORT xxx,xxx,xx,xxx,xx,xxx
Response: 200 PORT command successful. Consider using PASV.

Example: Without text string

Response: 200
Command: PORT xxx,xxx,xx,xxx,xx,xxx
Response: 200

The reason I'm asking this is that we use cellular and sometimes satellite connectivity to our (very) remote client side servers. While the full response codes are great for troubleshooting, at $6 - $24/MB every byte that we can save helps save us on our overhead cost.

Thank you for your responses!

Sam Graf

Re: vsftpd turn off text strings response codes?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2013, 05:34:03 pm »
I can see your point. Nothing jumped out at me over a couple quick scans of the manual, but maybe I missed it.

http://linux.die.net/man/5/vsftpd.conf

ccreamer

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2013, 11:42:27 pm »
I found the replies in the source code for vsftpd. It's spread though out the code in different places. Theoretically I could remove that portion of the code and recompile. I'm not familiar enough with the protocol to know if the full text is required.

I don't believe there is an option that is documented to do what I am looking for.

Is there another Linux FTP server that only returns the response codes without the full text strings?

Sam Graf

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2013, 02:09:37 am »
To be honest, I've not paid that much attention to FTP result code strings, so I don't know. And when setting up my own stuff, I always use vsftp. :-[

Keep in mind that if you decide to modify source, you'll have to maintain that across vsftp package updates (or refuse them). Of course, if Zentyal changes FTP server on you at some point…