Author Topic: Is there any limitation with community edition?  (Read 2194 times)

areels

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Is there any limitation with community edition?
« on: January 27, 2013, 12:52:05 am »
Zentyal web page for comparison doesn't include community. Which brings me the question. Community edition is just good enough as enterprise and Zentyal doesn't want to promote it? or There are differences and limitations with community edition?

Sam Graf

Re: Is there any limitation with community edition?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2013, 01:29:25 am »
Hi, and welcome.

There is no basic difference in the software, at least not at this time. The difference is in the services. That includes the Community Edition, since it allows the basic subscription.

christian

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2013, 07:18:35 am »
Correct... with however some - very small - differences in term of software.
I'm not able to report the exhaustive list (as this is not published as far as I know) but if I remember well, there is at least something with admin account management: you can't manage admin accounts using community edition.
"something" was also published last summer about HTTPS filtering difference. I'm not sure this still exists however...
Well, short correct answer is your but I would not bet this is 100% accurate  ;)

nijssen

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2013, 10:33:44 am »
Regarding admin account management: my experience is that in the community edition you are not able to add administrator users, so there is only one admin account/login to the webinterface possible, which is created during setup.

Sam Graf

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2013, 02:38:52 pm »
I did say no basic difference rather than no difference. No one has reported a substantially different experience here, to my knowledge.

If there are unpublished or scantly published variations between the community and the non-community editions (like the implied difference in the max number of users between the non-community editions), then it seems best to let the developers answer this question going forward.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 12:24:22 am by Sam Graf »

ichat

• Zen Hero
  • RTFM!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2013, 05:53:41 pm »
even the admin 'thingy can be circomvented really by just  adding the user to the specific user groups and granding the  user to the 'system group for administrator users... 

most of the diferences are either not important... expempt for 1 bigg issue, you DONT get quality assure updates meaning ... each and every update can potentially completely destroy your server.... because they are not managed by zentyal but by ubuntu community.

they makes that you absolutelly MUST test-drive all your updates before you deploy them on a live server...  (if your not a adrenaline junky that is)...
All tips hints and advices are based on my personal experience.
As I try my best to be as accurate as possible, following my advice is always at your own risk,
I claim absolutely NO responsibility in any way!