Author Topic: FTP: LDAP and virtual servers  (Read 1446 times)

akhasis

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
FTP: LDAP and virtual servers
« on: January 21, 2013, 04:55:09 pm »
Hello!

I have a Zentyal machine in which user files and web pages are stored and server. All the users validate to a W2003Server via LDAP and are locked in their home directories. I managed to create a VSFTPD custom setup for each of the two users who must have access to the web server files, so that they are locked in the www directory, instead of their home.

The problem with that, is that those users belong to some groups inherited from the W2003Server, making it impossible to add them to the www-data group. Therefore, they don't have the right permissions necessary in some web applications.

I would like to be able to connect as a user that belongs to the www-data group (or even the www-data user, if possible). It would be even better if I could allow some of my existing users from the W2003Server, with their username and password from that machine, to FTP files as if they were www-data:www-data (as I think it happens in any commercial web server).

I have been finding out about virtual users, but didn't understand much of it. Are they compatible with LDAP users (meaning, can I have all my users validating against LDAP but a few ones, that will manage web files)?

Ubuntu 10.04.4 LTS
Zentyal 2.2.7

Thanks in advance!