Author Topic: [SOLVED]Problem with smarthost  (Read 2064 times)

doctor_house

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
[SOLVED]Problem with smarthost
« on: January 06, 2013, 11:49:47 am »
Hello everyone, i am pretty new to this distribution but i find it quite nicely done. Although i have a problem with my smarthost. I am running this distro at my workplace and we are having issues with our smtp relay.
The message queue reports:
SASL authentication failed; cannot authenticate to server mail2.example.com[xxx.yyy.zzz.aaa]: no mechanism available
There is the option to change the auth method from plain to login but no matter what i choose the error remains the same.
Would you kindly provide some help please?

Regards.
Giulio
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 10:14:57 pm by doctor_house »

christian

Re: Problem with smarthost
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2013, 03:19:54 pm »
Sorry for not being more clever but I don't understand if your issue is between Zentyal server and smarthost or between mail clients and Zentyal server.
I suppose this is between Zentyal and smarthost but don't understand why any authentication mechanism would be mandatory between MTAs.

doctor_house

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2013, 05:45:44 pm »
thanks for replying. My explaination is probably unclear.
I am using Zentyal server to try to send my mail through an external smarthost. In order to be able to use this smarthost i have to use authentication. The problem is that even if i put the correct username and password in the smarthost configuration my mails don't get through it because of this error:
SASL authentication failed; cannot authenticate to server mail2.example.com[xxx.yyy.zzz.aaa]: no mechanism available

i have read a bunch of articles about postfix auth mechanisms but i am not very experienced at using linux based servers so i was looking for your support in this case. It's probably something harder to axplain rather than to solve.

Again thank you.
Giulio

christian

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2013, 06:01:27 pm »
My Zentyal 3.0 test platform is not running anymore.
Could you please check on your that cyrus-sasl2 package is installed ?

Could you also post here your main.cf conf file, at least part related to smtp_sasl ?
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 06:03:14 pm by christian »

doctor_house

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2013, 06:13:32 pm »
That was the right hint and after a little bit i did it!! Thank you.
In case somebody runs into the same issue my problem was that the package libsasl2-modules was not installed. Installing it solved my problem. Thanks for the help.

christian

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2013, 06:52:53 pm »
Would you mind editing your first post and stamp it as [SOLVED] ?
Thank you  ;)