Author Topic: How To?? Link aggregation  (Read 2458 times)

thephoenixvampire

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
How To?? Link aggregation
« on: December 22, 2012, 04:50:33 pm »
I've been hearing a lot about Zentyal not currently supporting link aggregation. As i use my server to host 10tb+ of data to over 20 users, aggregation is a must. Anyone have any luck w/ either LACP (yes my switch supports it) or balance-alb?? In the past i have been very successful with debian and ubuntu, i am under the impression that the zentyal custom scripts and interface do not support this.

Barrydocks

• Zen Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: How To?? Link aggregation
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2012, 05:00:50 pm »
you're right the zentyal admin interface does not support ethernet bonding or aggregation but the base ubuntu system still does, here is how I get around the problem of zentyal over writing your custom networking setup
http://forum.zentyal.org/index.php/topic,5326 :)

Escorpiom

• Zen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2012, 06:59:00 am »
I see that you are using the internal interfaces for bonding.
Would this be feasible for external interfaces also?
I'm doing load balancing at the moment, but this is not the same as bonding.

Cheers.
Marcus' Rule:
Blanks & capitals = avoid it and you'll avoid problems...

Barrydocks

• Zen Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2013, 11:03:32 am »
I see that you are using the internal interfaces for bonding.
Would this be feasible for external interfaces also?
I'm doing load balancing at the moment, but this is not the same as bonding.

Cheers.
I can't see why not, just as long as they have a fixed IP address. 

christian

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2013, 02:42:28 pm »
hehe.... bonding external interfaces  ;)
purpose here would be to implement hardware failover in case one NIC fails isn't it?  :P
If goal is to increase internet bandwidth, then, at least for what I understand, bonding will not help, reason being that from outside, you will have 2 different IP addresses.
Bonding on external interface would help if you had (perhpas you have BTW  ;)) only 100Mb/s interfaces on your server and more than 100Mb/s internet bandwidth from your provider.
If you have 2 providers with 100Mb/s... the best you can do is... load balancing or something at external router level but I can't see what as you still have 2 external IPs :-[

Barrydocks

• Zen Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2013, 12:15:25 pm »
hehe.... bonding external interfaces  ;)
purpose here would be to implement hardware failover in case one NIC fails isn't it?  :P
If goal is to increase internet bandwidth, then, at least for what I understand, bonding will not help, reason being that from outside, you will have 2 different IP addresses.
Bonding on external interface would help if you had (perhpas you have BTW  ;)) only 100Mb/s interfaces on your server and more than 100Mb/s internet bandwidth from your provider.
If you have 2 providers with 100Mb/s... the best you can do is... load balancing or something at external router level but I can't see what as you still have 2 external IPs :-[
Unless you have a switch that is capable of proper link aggregation then you will need a round robin set up which (as far as I understand) doesn't really give much of an increase in bandwidth, so really you will just be using it for redundancy.  Having 2 separate ISP interfaces is likely to be faster and can be load balanced as well 

christian

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2013, 02:32:09 pm »
Are you sure this is faster ?
If you use more than one protocol (meaning more than HTTP), then you can easily dedicate one line to HTTP/HTTPS and have the other line dedicated to other protocols. In such case, yes, this can be faster.
If goal is to speed-up HTTP, then 2 or 3 different lines will not be faster than 1 larger, especially if you can't access to  speed above 100Mb/s
Reason is than due to lack of "sticky bit" like mechanism, your connection to one given server may go through one interface then swing to the other, which doesn't work if you access web server that cares about source IP.