Author Topic: (SOLVED)Having issues with Zarafa - I have a question about including Xtrabackup  (Read 1867 times)

half_life

• Bug Hunter
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
Subject says it all.  I am having trouble with the Zarafa database corrupting from time to time. It (mysql in general) has been acting flackey since the 2.0-->2.2 upgrade.  Since the only time efficient solution I have found so far is to use the last backup for the VM I am looking into incrementally backing up the database.  Thus enters Xtrabackup into the scenario.  I have no experience with the software and am wondering if anyone else has had any with it. i am keenly interested in people who have incorporated it into their Zentyal server. Or will I be the first  . . .?
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 05:10:26 am by half_life »

half_life

• Bug Hunter
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Having issues with Zarafa -- I have a question about including Xtrabackup
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2012, 10:29:35 pm »
An Update:
I have added the xtrabackup software to the server and run a few backups as tests.  By default it is aggressive with resources.  It saturates the available disk I/O.  I am tinkering with --throttle settings trying to strike a balance between server availability and backup time.  I am beginning to think about uprooting mysql altogether and replacing with the clustered xtradb solution by the same vendor.  More on this later.

half_life

• Bug Hunter
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Having issues with Zarafa -- I have a question about including Xtrabackup
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2012, 05:09:56 am »
I believe that I have settled things down in the mysql server (see details in other thread).  I still would like to explore clustering the database since hardware high availability will still allow the mysql server to self destruct leaving me to restore backups from the night before.  Xtradb sure looks like the right answer  and would move things towards being able to truly cluster a zentyal server.  I am fairly sure that samba4 would play well in a cluster as well as most of the other components. I believe Christian has said that ldap would be problematic.   

I am going to mark this topic solved and open a new topic to discuss clustering .