Author Topic: how to backup 350Gb  (Read 3098 times)

michele

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
    • Casa Bastiano
Re: how to backup 350Gb
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2012, 02:50:24 pm »
Ok Christian, i made the rsync server configuration on Zentyal "FTP" server, but when i try to configure rsync method on Zentyal File Server i can't define, as you suggest, "your-target-server::target directory" because Zentyal says that the right format must be "other.host:port/existing_directory". I tried to insert 192.168.0.3:873/backup but when i save changes Zentyal remain for a long time showing saving ebackup module to 100%.
Meteo Radio & Blog
@ Casa Bastiano
www.casabastiano.com

christian

« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2012, 04:37:39 pm »
Correct. There is something wrong with Zentyal syntax check.
I remember I made some changes but can't tell you right now. I've to perform some search... wait  ;)

christian

« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2012, 04:41:12 pm »
Look at this.
I hope this helps.

half_life

• Bug Hunter
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2012, 12:02:57 am »
NFS is also a faster option here. FTP will be slower than any of your other choices.  With your bandwidth issues I would tend to think that using removable storage for a "on the metal" backup on a weekly schedule might be best.  This could be automated without too much effort.

michele

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
    • Casa Bastiano
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2012, 11:57:19 am »
hal_life, do you mean mount a nfs share as a local volume and configure Zentyal Backup using File System?
I read here http://forum.zentyal.org/index.php/topic,12455.msg53942.html#msg53942 that Zentyal don't provide NFS file sharing so i'm installing on a test machine FreeNas and OpenMediaVault.
I hope sooner or later to find a way to backup my 350 Gb of data or i'll change Zentyal file server with another solution that can make easier backup.
Last question: what do you mean exactly with "on the metal" backup?
Meteo Radio & Blog
@ Casa Bastiano
www.casabastiano.com

half_life

• Bug Hunter
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2012, 06:49:33 pm »
hal_life, do you mean mount a nfs share as a local volume and configure Zentyal Backup using File System?
I read here http://forum.zentyal.org/index.php/topic,12455.msg53942.html#msg53942 that Zentyal don't provide NFS file sharing so i'm installing on a test machine FreeNas and OpenMediaVault.
I hope sooner or later to find a way to backup my 350 Gb of data or i'll change Zentyal file server with another solution that can make easier backup.
Last question: what do you mean exactly with "on the metal" backup?

I do in fact mean mounting an nfs share and backing up to it.  Above all , Zentyal is an Ubuntu server product.  Anything that can be done with vanilla Ubuntu can be done with Zentyal.  If I am not mistaken all that is needed is a "sudo apt-get install nfs-common"  to allow Zentyal to mount NFS shares. To provide NFS services you would need "sudo apt-get install nfs-kernal-server" to load the service.  Edit /etc/exports to choose what to share out to whom.  I use Freenas and love it btw. ZFS is very handy.

What I mean by "on the metal" is to reboot the system into clonezilla or similar to do a complete backup that can be restored in case of catastrophic failure.  Tools like clonezilla take care of all of the details such as setting up partitions, etc.