Author Topic: How to control when new systems request for a connection  (Read 1718 times)

Zent User

• Zen Warrior
    • View Profile
How to control when new systems request for a connection
« on: November 07, 2012, 12:02:14 pm »
I'm using Zentyal DHCP server in my network,the problem is "when a new system is connected to un-used ports of switch then that system is getting internet connection",how can I restrict this ? If Zentyal admin allows the new connection then only new system should get internet or whatever access, how can I achieve this ?
Regards
Zent User

robb

Re: How to control when new systems request for a connection
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2012, 01:05:10 pm »
Zentyal is not aware of the switchport a client is using. If you want port security on a switch you need a switch that supports such a feature.

Zent User

• Zen Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2012, 01:09:18 pm »
Using DHCP and MAC address of client system is it not possible ?
Regards
Zent User

christian

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2012, 01:12:22 pm »
It depends what you intend to achieve  ;)

If goal is to prevent unknown machine to get valid IP address and therefore access your LAN, then you could provide DHCP lease only to known MAC addresses but:
- this can be painful if you have a lot of machines
- this doesn't bring security as faking MAC address is quite easy
- machine can still connect without using DHCP

Another approach could have been to implement authenticated DHCP but Zentyal doesn't provide this feature.

If goal is to prevent unauthorized account to access internet (i.e. browse), then you could just enable HTTP proxy authentication  8)

robb

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2012, 01:13:31 pm »
DHCP IS using macaddress.... I think you need to read something about how DHCP works. It is perfectly possible to give a machine with a specific MAC address always the same IP address. Making rules for certain IP addresses to access or not access internet you should be able to solve your specific objective.

Zent User

• Zen Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2012, 01:33:49 pm »
@ Christian

- machine can still connect without using DHCP

Is it ? oh I wondered after reading above statement.If this problem is not there means I might go for this approach because in my network few systems there and I can manage Lease DHCP with known MAC address. Can't we solve this issue ?

If goal is to prevent unauthorized account to access internet (i.e. browse), then you could just enable HTTP proxy authentication

If go for above approach then

1. Is it possible to implement with explicit proxy,because I may go explicit proxy as suggested in previous posts to control HTTPs ?

2. This may not suit for me because,one of my team member will know Proxy credentials then if he bring a laptop(which is unknown machine to me from my point of view) to my office and can able connect to network,which is unauthorized work,So I want to stop this.
Regards
Zent User

christian

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2012, 02:14:36 pm »
Sure you want to stop this but how are you going to prevent this same user to bring his own laptop, set static IP matching your current LAN and then access internet ?
Using MAC address based leased and restrict access to this network object only? So far so good.
Then how are you going to prevent this same user to change MAC address on its own laptop and fool your rule?

Zent User

• Zen Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2012, 02:24:16 pm »
If it work upto that its enough,changing MAC address of the system that much knowledge my staff don't have,even though you've said drawback of this approach,thanks for that.

Any post regarding Leased DHCP with MAC ? I'll glad to you
« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 05:27:13 am by Zent User »
Regards
Zent User

christian

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2012, 02:31:28 pm »
Any post regarding Leased DHCP with MAC ? I'll glad to you

I suppose you even didn't try because Zentyal 3.0 is straightforward and easy with this: in DHCP, go to static address section and click on "add new".
If there is no network object, you can even create a new on from there and add objects inside.

The trick is to not define any dynamic range so that machine with MAC address not part of your network object will not get any IP.

Zent User

• Zen Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2012, 02:35:15 pm »
Ok thanks,Currently I'm using 2.2,I'll try 3.0 in this week.
Regards
Zent User

christian

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2012, 02:43:16 pm »
2.2 works exactly the same way except that you have to define your network object before so that you can then use it in DHCP settings.