Poll

Is it possible to install Zentyal on a Ubuntu-LAMP server ?

Yes
No

Author Topic: Installing Zentyal on a LAMP Server  (Read 3785 times)

ahmadgeo

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Installing Zentyal on a LAMP Server
« on: October 23, 2012, 02:42:50 pm »
Hi There;

Is it OK to install Zentyal on a LAMP server? "or vise versa"

I need to have a LAMP server and Zentyal up and running with below requirements "This is a POC and I don't have enough resources for doing this on multiple boxes" .

- a PDC, mail server, IM........ Zentyal modules
- a web server hosting multiple internal websites
- MySQL Database server either holding DBs for websites hosted on the same box or just DBs used by websites hosted on another IIS server. "I also need the tools/steps required to convert a Microsoft SQL 2000/2005 Database to MySQL".
- a content management software also hosted on the same box "I'm thinking of Wordpress, but a more useful one would be great especially if it containes some advanced features like workflows and dashboards like MS Sharepoint"
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 02:45:47 pm by ahmadgeo »

christian

Re: Installing Zentyal on a LAMP Server
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2012, 02:53:16 pm »
Sorry, I don't understand poll meaning here. Do you expect technical answer or wonder about forum members wishes ???

Technically speaking, when you install Zentyal server, you will get on Ubuntu (therefore Linux) an Apache server with MySQL. PHP may require some tuning depending on what you need but basically, you have it.

If you look at documentation describing features, you will notice there is no CMS but you can easily install the one of your choice.
Obviously if your preferred target is Sharepoint, Zentyal is not the right choice  ;D

J. A. Calvo

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
    • http://blogs.zentyal.org/jacalvo
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2012, 07:04:14 pm »
As long as the LAMP Server is a Ubuntu Server with the proper version (for example 12.04 for Zentyal 3.0), there should not be any problem to co-exist with Zentyal. If you don't install the zentyal-webserver module you will be able to configure your apache manually as you will do on a non-Zentyal LAMP server.
Zentyal Server Lead Developer

Marcus

• Forum Moderator
  • Zen Samurai
    • View Profile
    • Professional IT Service
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2012, 08:50:03 pm »
Hello,

would be great especially if it containes some advanced features like workflows and dashboards like MS Sharepoint
There is Alfresco that could do it.  One only thing...  It is a Java webapp (you'll have to install Tomcat & Apache mod_jk).

This is a POC and I don't have enough resources for doing this on multiple boxes
You'll have to fine tune your configuration but yes, this is totally possible.

Best,

Marcus

ahmadgeo

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2012, 10:25:08 pm »
Sorry, I don't understand poll meaning here. Do you expect technical answer or wonder about forum members wishes ???

Technically speaking, when you install Zentyal server, you will get on Ubuntu (therefore Linux) an Apache server with MySQL. PHP may require some tuning depending on what you need but basically, you have it.

If you look at documentation describing features, you will notice there is no CMS but you can easily install the one of your choice.
Obviously if your preferred target is Sharepoint, Zentyal is not the right choice  ;D

Sorry, my first post :)
I'm aware of that if I have Zentyal, then I have LAMP, but when typing tasksel, LAMP Server is not selected. So I wanted to try installing LAMP first then Zentyal on top of it. (Especially that I'm having too many issues with the installation :(.  Most probably a misconfiguration somewhere "I'm new with Linux and OpenSource after all)

For the CMS, I'm aware that there is no available module in Zentyal ( it was just a question about a suitable one and at the same time a suggestion for Zentyal team to consider including :)

At the end, thanks for your reply and I guess I need to digg deeper in documentation (both Ubuntu Server and Zentyal)

ahmadgeo

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2012, 10:30:28 pm »
As long as the LAMP Server is a Ubuntu Server with the proper version (for example 12.04 for Zentyal 3.0), there should not be any problem to co-exist with Zentyal. If you don't install the zentyal-webserver module you will be able to configure your apache manually as you will do on a non-Zentyal LAMP server.

I'm trying to install without selecting the WebServer package, but it is being included in the next step.

What are other packages that depend on WebServer so as not to include?

Note: I'm using the GUI installer after installing Ubuntu (LAMP, SSH, webmin and PHPMyAdmin) then adding Zentyal repository manually and running sudo apt-get install zentyal then connection to the consol

christian

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2012, 07:54:30 am »
I think you are on the wrong track  :-[
Instead of installing everything you need to cover "non Zentyal needs" then Zentyal on top of it with potential collisions, why not trying the opposite ?

Zentyal does require some web server to be installed, at least to support GUI.
For the time being, everything is merged under one single web server "brand" (Apache), even if using different configurations. (BTW, this is why I would suggest Zentyal to use another one like Nginx to support GUI..anyway)
So, it will be easier to go along with Zentyal install, including web server module and then install your CMS or whatever new application.

Is there any reason why you try to achieve the opposite ?

J. A. Calvo

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
    • http://blogs.zentyal.org/jacalvo
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2012, 09:36:43 am »
The modules that depend on the zentyal-webserver package are zentyal-zarafa and zentyal-webmail, I suppose you are selecting them.

Christian, there is no problem in not installing zentyal-webserver if he wants to do advanced apache configurations by hand. It's true that Zentyal needs apache installed for the administration GUI, but that apache is a different instance than the regular apache in the system (the one that manages zentyal-webserver). The only "conflict" is that it uses the 443 port by default, but that can be easily changed.

Anyway, I agree that if he just needs to deploy a CMS or whatever probably there is no problem in doing it using with zentyal-webserver :)
Zentyal Server Lead Developer

robb

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2012, 09:44:48 am »
It's good to make it clear that other applications can be installed on a Zentyal system. For instance, I have installed Chamilo, CMSMadeSimple and Schooltool on several Zentyal servers.

We could do an install party to figure out what CMS's can be installed 'out-of-the-box' on top of a Zentyal server. What CMS's need modification and what those modifications are. (for instance LDAP integration etc) It would give a nice boost to community documentation.

ahmadgeo

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2012, 11:33:34 am »
I think you are on the wrong track  :-[
Instead of installing everything you need to cover "non Zentyal needs" then Zentyal on top of it with potential collisions, why not trying the opposite ?

Zentyal does require some web server to be installed, at least to support GUI.
For the time being, everything is merged under one single web server "brand" (Apache), even if using different configurations. (BTW, this is why I would suggest Zentyal to use another one like Nginx to support GUI..anyway)
So, it will be easier to go along with Zentyal install, including web server module and then install your CMS or whatever new application.

Is there any reason why you try to achieve the opposite ?

Will try that for sure ..... Again :)

I finally figured out some of conflict reasons and will give the installation another try

ahmadgeo

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2012, 11:43:38 am »
Thanks all for your help,

I figured out some of the conflicting reasons in the installation " misconfiguration as I thought earlier :( "

Of which was using 443 port for Zentyal and the other was using a root password during MySQL/LAMP installation while there is no place to provide it during Zentyal installation, that was making errors when applying changes inside Zentyal GUI.

As I said before -I'm new to all of that.

So, thanks you all for your help. And I think I need to go offline from these posts for sometime and go back into my Read/Study mood :)