Author Topic: FOG running on same server as Zentyal  (Read 5331 times)

B0UJI

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
FOG running on same server as Zentyal
« on: October 17, 2012, 03:43:48 am »
Another quick question I have, is it possible to have FOG(http://www.fogproject.org/) running happily alongside Zentyal on the same server or will they conflict?

Thanks!

christian

Re: FOG running on same server as Zentyal
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2012, 07:44:16 am »
Indeed Zentyal and Fog do conflict except if you are skilled enough to set it up with VLAN to ensure perfect network isolation  ;D

What I really wonder is why you would even need to install Fog once Zentyal is running  :o :o

B0UJI

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2012, 08:26:25 am »
Thanks for your quick reply.

I want to use FOG as I can set different ISO's (I.e my automated windows install) to kick off from the network and FOG gives a nice menu to do that + can take Full Disk images on demand.

On that topic though, i did try to get the Zentyal PXE booting a local ISO but couldn't seem to work it out.  Is there proper doco on how to set an ISO to boot from the PXE system in Zentyal?

christian

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2012, 08:34:31 am »
the point is that PXE is tightly linked with DHCP which also runs with Zentyal.
You definitely can't have 2 DHCP servers! and not running the Zentyal one is somewhat a pity as it provides as useful stuff as DNS registration and consistency with other Zentyal setting.

I didn't test Zentyal PXE features.

In order to achieve you goal, but not having looked at the very detail, I would try to install Fog without DHCP/DNS stuff bit only the very minimum (meaning PXE and ISO management interface using Zentyal Apache web server and customize Zentyal DHCP server (using hook) to push the right DHCP options...

B0UJI

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2012, 09:03:33 am »
I wouldn't want to break the internals, Zentyal is working fantastic for me so i might just take the "No" as the answer which is okay!

Was really just an idea to consolidate my Zentyal VM + FOG VM but if they don't play nice on the same server without damaging the zentyal components then I'd rather steer clear!

Thank you for your insight though!

christian

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2012, 09:11:32 am »
they even don't play nice on same network because of the 2 DHCP servers. This is the main potentially blocking point.
I'm not saying there is no solution but you have to be careful with DHCP.

Once you understanding this, you can start working on parallel deployment of Zentyal an,d Fog.
BTW, are you currently using Zentyal DHCP feature ?
If not, then (look back at my first anser), you may install both on same server without major issue (well, look at DNS too ;-) )

B0UJI

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2012, 09:15:28 am »
Indeed I am already using the Zentyal DHCP feature.

When you install FOG you can set it to not be the DHCP and it warns you to make sure your DHCP is set right.  In Zentyal you set the "next server" to the IP of the FOG Server.

This works perfectly for me, had that system running fine for months!.  I just wanted to see if it could be consolidated.

christian

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2012, 09:43:17 am »
sorry, what is "the next server" ?
My understanding is that in order to have PXE working, you need to push DHCP options 60 and 67 (or something like this). (edit) better explained here.
How can this work with Zentyal out of the box, I mean without hook ?
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 09:47:44 am by christian »

B0UJI

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2012, 05:33:48 am »
Maybe this could be useful for a how-to.  I'll get the specifics for the process if you like but from the top of my head:

- I have a standard Zentyal 3 64bit build set-up as Infrastructure and Office (Domain Server).
        -This serves the DHCP and DNS

- I have then build a standard Ubuntu 12 LTS Server, no Service components set up to conflict with the Zentyal.

- Downloaded FOG 0.32 from here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/freeghost/files/
    -Extracted to etc/FOG and run install using "sudo ./installfog.sh
    -Follow the instructions here on integrating with an existing network: http://www.fogproject.org/wiki/index.php/Integrating_FOG_into_an_Existing_Network
    -It is important to use these instructions as it directs FOG not to run its own DHCP service but use the one you provide (Zentyal's)

- Go to the advanced options in DHCP on the Zentyal Server
     -Under the "Thin Client" option (Swear in Zentyal2.2 this was called something else)
             -Next Server = Host
             -Host = (IP of your FOG Server)
             -File Path = pxelinux.0

This has your Zentyal DCHP "Catch" the client, then fob it off to the FOG server which then Boots the PXE environment.

Yes perhaps not the most "Direct" route but it's worked for me!
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 05:37:22 am by B0UJI »

christian

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2012, 07:00:25 am »
oh yes, now I got it   :-[
Thanks a lot. I forgot this option, indeed available in DHCP advanced tab, that is providing PXE server link.

So, yes, you definitely could merge both on same server  ;D

If you have time, this would really benefit from HowTo  ;)
it may help some users wiling to achieve something similar.

B0UJI

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2012, 07:34:53 am »
Awesome, I'll give that a go this weekend and document how I go about it.

Where's best to post a how-to?  Just in the Tips&Tricks?

It would be a good idea as FOG is a VERY good PXE environment and to have it all consolidated would make a powerful system for remote boot imaging and deployment.

christian

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2012, 07:41:00 am »
Yes, Tips and tricks" is definitely the right place for this kind of feedback  :)
Just drop it there.

There is also, not in forum but in documentation, an "HowTo" section where you can add more structured information, like e.g. few words about FOG choice compared to what Zentyal (doesn't) provide.  8)

B0UJI

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2012, 11:45:54 am »
Okay so did this setup on the weekend.  As far as FOG + Zentyal goes so far seems okay on the same server.  Buuuut only thing i've notices which I thought I'd raise as it may be indicative of other issues is the Zentyal Interface images no longer display for some reason.  For example, on the main login screen it just has text "Zentyal Logo" but bo logo like it used too.  Same in the main dashboard, no Zentyal logo and other pictures are missing.

Any thoughts?

half_life

• Bug Hunter
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2012, 05:08:38 am »
Thank you for making me aware of Fog.   I was in the process of implementing wpkg but that has stopped now.  I am quickly falling in love with Fog.  Very useful in my environment.  Thanks again!

jjmontes

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Monk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2012, 02:37:27 pm »
I have seen such integration using a VM for the Fog server. Once it is running, it is trivial to point Zentyal DHCP PXE to the Fog server.

However, I don't have experiences try to install Fog on the Zentyal server itself. If you try, at least you'll need to tell Fog to not configure DHCP, but I wonder if there would be other possible conflicts. I would uninstall Zentyal LTSP module for this too.

Hope that helps.