Author Topic: 3.0 RC2 installs but will not boot  (Read 2248 times)

ccarpenter

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
3.0 RC2 installs but will not boot
« on: September 08, 2012, 01:10:50 am »
I just finished building a mini-itx system with these specs:
Jetway JF9A-Q67
Core i3-2120T
Corsair 2x4GB

The installation goes fine with no errors, but when its time to boot it just has a black screen and after a while a menu will come up asking if I want to use kernel 3.2.0-29 or 3.2.0-29 (recovery). Either one I choose doesn't work. Just curious so I downloaded 3.0 RC1 also and it installed ok and it did boot into the os, but after I ran the updates it resulted in the same as RC2. So it would seem that something about 3.2.0-29 is causing me problems. Is there any resources to see if I can check I my hardware is not compatible with 3.2.0-29. Everything ran fin with RC1. It detected all my hardware with no problems. I just dont know why a new kernel would stop working?

P.S. I'm not a linux expert by any means so any ideas or help is greatly appreciated.

J. A. Calvo

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
    • http://blogs.zentyal.org/jacalvo
Re: 3.0 RC2 installs but will not boot
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2012, 01:47:56 am »
Have you checked with the MD5 that the ISO is not corrupted? If that's not the case, as you say it has to be related with the new  kernel in 12.04.1, but you're right, that kind of regression seems hard to believe in an LTS distribution. I'm afraid we don't have your same hardware to reproduce it, but it would be interesting to see if any other user with a similar hardware has experienced the same problems...
Zentyal Server Lead Developer

ccarpenter

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2012, 03:00:25 am »
Yes I tested the cd, and even downloaded the new Ubuntu Desktop 12.04.1 and it would not install at all. It got to the Ubuntu loading screen and then switched to text saying something about kernel 3.2.0-30 and just stopped. Also used the same cd's on an older system for testing and it worked without a hitch. Since I have RC1 installed I was able to run updates and then switch back to 3.2.0-23-generic to get the system working, but my concern is that at some point I will reinstall and if the final release uses 12.04.1 installer it'll never work for me. Any ideas?

J. A. Calvo

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
    • http://blogs.zentyal.org/jacalvo
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2012, 12:40:04 pm »
If it also happens with a regular Ubuntu installer, then you should report the problem to the Ubuntu kernel package:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+filebug
Zentyal Server Lead Developer

Escorpiom

• Zen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2012, 06:41:20 am »
I would like to add that you should provide the correct information, in this case the correct model is:
Jetway NF9A Q67.
It's a LGA1155 mini-ttx board. And yes, this could be a problem with the new kernel so you should definitely report it.

Cheers.
Marcus' Rule:
Blanks & capitals = avoid it and you'll avoid problems...