Author Topic: [SOLVED] Which version starting install now? 2.2 or 3.0-rc  (Read 2736 times)

freeoli

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
[SOLVED] Which version starting install now? 2.2 or 3.0-rc
« on: September 06, 2012, 02:01:39 pm »
Dear All!

We want use the Zentyal and testing now, on no production level. The production level starting after 2 months. We will use the samba pdc, groupware and others without gw options.

What your recommendation:

We now deploy the 2.2 and upgrade later. Or.
We now deploy the 3.0 RC version, testing and after this version released starting the production using?

Thank You!
Érdi Olivér
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 12:52:02 pm by freeoli »

J. A. Calvo

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
    • http://blogs.zentyal.org/jacalvo
Re: Which version starting install now? 2.2 or 3.0-rc
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2012, 02:04:31 pm »
If you are going to start testing it now and putting it into production in 2 months, definitely Zentyal 3.0 RC should be the best choice :) (take into account 3.0 is based on Ubuntu 12.04, 2.2 is based in 10.04 which could get kind of obsolete sooner...)
Zentyal Server Lead Developer

rkennish

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2012, 02:50:10 pm »
I'm having same issue. I've got ubuntu 8.04 LTS server the mini.iso version. I had to use it for my Dell PowerEdge 2500 for it to work. Ubuntu 12.04 had issues with the scsi drives. Anyways..... So next,  I ran updates/upgrades and releases all the way upto 12.04 (8 hours or so :-\). I'm currently running 12.04 now.
Next, I ran these commands exactly..
http://trac.zentyal.org/wiki/Documentation/Community/Installation/InstallationGuide?redirectedfrom=Document/Documentation/InstallationGuide

Zentyal 2.3 packages
For Ubuntu 12.04 (Precise). You should install the server edition.
Add to your /etc/apt/sources.list:
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/zentyal/2.3/ubuntu precise main
In order to authenticate the packages in the PPA you can import its public key with the following command:
sudo apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys 10E239FF
You may also copy & paste this single command line in order to add the repository along with the key
sudo apt-get install -y python-software-properties && sudo add-apt-repository ppa:zentyal/2.3 && sudo apt-get update
The groupware module (zentyal-zarafa) needs an extra repository added in /etc/apt/sources.list:
deb http://archive.zentyal.org/zentyal 2.3 main extra

I'm thinking since i did that one command (i marked inbold above) before actually running apt-get install zentyal caused a problem because it said it already had a user zentyal and then it created ebox home dir and user, but didn't give any option to enter a password anywhere. Also I was root user when I typed in apt-get install zentyal (i deleted sudo of course for it to work). Here's what my end of installing zentyal using apt-get install....

Warning: The home dir /var/lib/zentyal/ you specified already exists.
Adding system user `ebox' (UID 124) ...
Adding new user `ebox' (UID 124) with group `ebox' ...
The home directory `/var/lib/zentyal/' already exists.  Not copying from `/etc/skel'.
adduser: Warning: The home directory `/var/lib/zentyal/' does not belong to the user you are currently crea                                                  ting.
Adding user `ebox' to group `adm' ...
Adding user ebox to group adm
Done.
 * Restarting Zentyal module: apache                                     [ OK ]
Creating the zentyal database
mysqladmin: connect to server at 'localhost' failed
error: 'Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: NO)'
Setting up zentyal-software (2.3.8) ...
Setting up zentyal (2.3.3) ...
Setting up libbsd-resource-perl (1.2904-1build2) ...
Processing triggers for libc-bin ...
ldconfig deferred processing now taking place
Processing triggers for zentyal-core ...
 * Restarting Zentyal module: apache                                     [ OK ]
 * Restarting Zentyal module: logs                                       [ OK ]
 * Restarting Zentyal module: events                                     [ OK ]

I can get to the login screen from my desktop, I just can't login. I've tried root/a user account on ubuntu/ i tried admin/admin and just admin and ebox/... and ebox/ebox.... and just root...and zentyal and zentyal/zentyal also ebox/zentyal etc.... no success! or "no joy" haha. Any help would be great.

J. A. Calvo

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
    • http://blogs.zentyal.org/jacalvo
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2012, 03:23:02 pm »
To login you need to use any user beloning to the sudo group. You can add it with adduser $username sudo
Zentyal Server Lead Developer

Sam Graf

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2012, 04:29:44 pm »
...I had to use it for my Dell PowerEdge 2500 for it to work...
Hi rkennish, and welcome!

I had a great deal of experience arguing with Zentyal installations on PowerEdge 2500s. If you're interested, and since we are not yet at 3.0 final release (it might be nice to do a clean 3.0 installation after final release), let me suggest a somewhat easier way to do the installations. A summary of the basic method gives you the outline of the procedure I eventually settled on. It's not a staightforward method but it allows for a "proper" installation from the ISO, and I always found that the better way to go.

Rather than hijack this topic, if you want to talk about this, feel free to start another topic. I'll help if I can.

stuartiannaylor

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2012, 07:39:13 pm »
Even though you are starting now you still have a two month window before going live.

As opinion, because you aim to use Zentyal as a PDC, I would say go for Zentyal 3.0.

I find when something goes live it often stays. Hence 3.0 as that will give a good future.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 07:41:09 pm by stuartiannaylor »

rkennish

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2012, 11:14:21 pm »
Okay, yea... I'll try 3.0 then !!! yeehaw!

rkennish

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2012, 12:16:20 am »
Okay, so I have windows 7 ult and the defulat iso burner was burning at x48 speed and it didn't work as it said error debootstrap failed error. So I downloaded burn4free and used x16 speed and that worked!!! 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

stuartiannaylor

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2012, 12:23:53 am »
If you are just getting up to speed you might find virtual box a good tool for evaluation.

Zentyal 3.0 RC1 Win7 64 Vitualbox VM

If you are a newcomer to Zentyal then you might also be a newcomer to linux.

So apologies to others but here goes my Zentyal considerations.

Right from the basics.
The normal repository for Zentyal can be found at http://www.zentyal.org/downloads/ with the beta version here.
http://www.zentyal.org/beta/
Go grab your self an ISO.
Run virtual box.
Its basic stuff but my first suggestion is to have two hardware NICs. Reasoning is pure laziness and separation of blame.

My VM Setup

>Click New
>Name your VM
>Choose OS [Linux]
>Choose Version [Ubuntu 64]
>Next
>Next
>Next
>Next
>Next

? Was that enough nexts, but you get the point just go with the defaults.
>Create

I named mine Expert Install and unfortunately this is no reflection of the author. Not yet anyway as that is up for community participation.

Departing from default
I also changes a few of the VM settings.
Select your newly created VM and its back the the network interfaces.
You will automatically have Adaptor1
Set it to bridge and not NAT and choose your internet connection.
In the name choose the right adaptor name from windows.
Enable adapter2 and the same bridge rather than NAT.
This time select your second adaptor.

I really suggest this as things can get hellish confusing if you have a couple of DHCP / DNS servers on the same LAN. Especially ones that don't fit the intended purpose.
I usually get rid of any unwanted hardware such as audio (Its a server sim).

Last thing is to load the ISO into the virtual CD.
Right click on your VM
>Settings
>Select the storage pane.
>Left click on the CD
>Select Setup Virtual Cd/DVD Drive.

Why Expert mode
Start the VM
Select Expert Mode

Select your keyboard and mouse
Do the default until you get to the primary network interface dialog. If you got it right then you should have two choice and ETH0: should be your WAN.
Then I am going to select the default host name [ZENTYAL] and choose the username webadmin and the password is password.

Its the do the default thing again.

Help I am ranting and raving again
I usually have a little tantrum here as virtual box steals the screen capture. Aaaaargh its done it again. Please someone tell me the answer :)

[!!] Partioning

This is where its all at. This is the expert bit as there are so many choices and configurations.
It's not merely about partitions but Linux mount points such as HOME where all the users data is kept.
Here you can attach disks, partitions and mount points to either which is much different to windows.
I would prob have a separate disk for /Home, maybe /Var.
This is all very dependent on what you want to use Zentyal for in terms of server type of most use.

Expert mode isn't scary.
Thats it basically, expert mode
It gives you the option to provide specifics and change from the default.
Disks, partitioning and mount points is a document on its own. Another time maybe and will need some help on that one.
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Multi-Disk-HOWTO.html
The install is ended select the default to all and ready to click continue to reboot.

Hey presto, I just logged in and I am going to select gateway and add the DHCP and FileSharing modules. Because I have OCD I am going to turn off the TraffickShaping, Layer7 and VPN modules. Its my default Zentyal Base to build from. Its a matter of clicking install.

OK that and ahem to that :)

My M$SBS replacement is a simple single server affair and thats what we have all we need to do is configure the Lan. The DHCP is currently disabled. If this was live, your network could already be preferring Zentyal.

So to configure the Lan we need to configure the operation of the two network cards that Zentyal acts as a walled piggy in the middle.
I always use ETH0: as my primary WAN connection just something I do. So this is an external connection. LAN being the opposite we need a non-routable. Usually 192.168.3.1 with me and set to static. The WAN will use the DHCP of the router so that is set to dynamic.
The catch with the DHCP is that its the only module disabled by default sometimes a snag for a few.
In the DHCP settings edit the configuration and apply a default range.

From 192.168.3.16 to 192.168.3.254 gives me a good subnet and get ready to connect clients.

Thats it Really.
If your new to zentyal and don't want feature confusion but want to see how things are configured.
Get things up and running in a similar operation vain as SBS then this quick guide is up for editing.

If you have the time write up your experiences and share :)

Stuart
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 12:46:54 am by stuartiannaylor »

rkennish

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2012, 08:41:15 am »
well i've been on linux since 97/98 well my first computer was be/os, p2 300mhz, 128mb, 8gb. That was awesome. then i moved on to suse for like well tell 2011 and gave up. suse was good till novell bought them and it just went south. cause they blocked libraries and so if you wanted to use some latest rpm's it wouldn't work unless you re-built from scratch. i then went to centos and really liked it till they recently just drop scsi support for i386.....well the scsi card i was using was no longer supported in 6.3. so i'm back on ubuntu, which has the best documentation. and now i'm loving zentyal. really nice and easy to use. simple. full of features!!!  ;D

stuartiannaylor

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2012, 10:35:55 am »
Apols for the Win 7 !!! instructions maybe you could do the same for virt-manager.