Author Topic: [SOLVED] Zentyal DDNS Problems?  (Read 3405 times)

jjm1982

• Zen Warrior
    • View Profile
[SOLVED] Zentyal DDNS Problems?
« on: August 08, 2012, 06:51:05 pm »
Does anyone know if there is a DDNS problem with Zentyal and the domain servers. My cable modem experienced a problem yesterday and was down for multiple hours. Once I resolved that issue, it was handed a new IP address. This new IP address is correctly presented in the Zentyal subscription page but when I perform an NSLOOKUP from the command line, my old IP address is resolved. This is preventing all of my remote servers to connect to my servers through VPN.

My server has all the latest updates and Zentyal updates that have been made available.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 06:23:40 pm by jjm1982 »

majestyx

• Board Moderator
  • Zen Warrior
  • Dont feed the Troll !
    • View Profile
    • German FSFE Blog
Re: Zentyal DDNS Problems?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2012, 09:00:20 pm »
once, i had a similar problem

a unsubscribe an a new subscribe to z-cloud was "my personal work around"  ;)

Ahoi
Michael (majestyx) pls, applaud if I could help ;)
--
Erst lesen, dann schreiben: http://forum.zentyal.org/index.php/topic,4317.0.html

Zentyal Doku: http://doc.zentyal.org/en/zindex.html (engl.)

jjm1982

• Zen Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Zentyal DDNS Problems?
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2012, 09:14:52 pm »
I don't believe it should work that way. I've also had problems when I unsubscribe and resubscribe to Zentyal. I would hate to have to work through those issues just to have the IP address translating correctly when I perform a DNS lookup.

I would also hate to have to switch back to one of the free ddns services because I find Zentyal DDNS to be more useful.

jjm1982

• Zen Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Zentyal DDNS Problems? [SOLVED]
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2012, 06:22:13 pm »
I found an unlikely solution but it works. Changing the DDNS information from Zentyal to something like DynDNS and entering in fictitious information (only because it will be temporary) then save changes. After the changes have been changed, revert back to Zentyal as being the DDNS option an save changes again. This apparently forces the IP address to be updated in the Zentyal Cloud. You can verify this by looking at the DDNS update log.

Ideally, the IP address should be updated automatically.

EddieA

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
Re: Zentyal DDNS Problems? [SOLVED]
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2012, 09:19:19 pm »
Ideally, the IP address should be updated automatically.
The IP address should be persisted, and every time the external interface is brought up, the current IP should be compared to the persisted one, and if different, the DDNS service notified, and the new IP persisted.

Cheers.

robb

Re: [SOLVED] Zentyal DDNS Problems?
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2012, 11:06:02 pm »
I have experienced the same problems and What I do is force the DDclient believe the IP address is a wrong IP address. Then it will update.
Forcing the IP address in ddclient you perfrom the following command:
Code: [Select]
sudo ddclient -use=ip -ip=1.2.3.4 -daemon=0
I don't know if this is the solution, but when I look at the ddclient config file, I found that the 'run-deamon' was set to 'false'
# Set to "true" if ddclient should run in daemon mode.
run_daemon="true"
I set it back to true and had no problems anymore with updating the ipaddress

You can find the ddclient configfile at /etc/default/ddclient

jjm1982

• Zen Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: [SOLVED] Zentyal DDNS Problems?
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2012, 03:44:18 pm »
I have experienced the same problems and What I do is force the DDclient believe the IP address is a wrong IP address. Then it will update.
Forcing the IP address in ddclient you perfrom the following command:
sudo ddclient -use=ip -ip=1.2.3.4 -daemon=0
I don't know if this is the solution, but when I look at the ddclient config file, I found that the 'run-deamon' was set to 'false'
# Set to "true" if ddclient should run in daemon mode.
run_daemon="true"
I set it back to true and had no problems anymore with updating the ipaddress

You can find the ddclient configfile at /etc/default/ddclient

Thanks for the info! But when I checked the ddclient file the run_daemon was already set to true. Though I will keep the first command in the back of my mind in case I need to do this manually in the future. Perhaps it should be setup in a cron job of some kind?