Author Topic: Preinstallation woes.  (Read 2367 times)

Thurge

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Preinstallation woes.
« on: August 04, 2012, 11:15:36 pm »
I am a bit under the gun and need a push in the right direction. I have a Dell system that comes with a 160 gb drive. I have installed 2 2TB drives and I want to set the 2 larger drives up in a mirrored software raid to use as storage for samba and use the 160 gb drive as the system drive. I've tried several times to do this but I can't seem to get it working. How do I need to go about this? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I just want the 2 large drives setup as one big partition.

christian

Re: Preinstallation woes.
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2012, 11:53:42 pm »
Using "advanced installation" mode permits to define partitioning fitting your needs.

Thurge

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2012, 08:51:28 am »
Unfortunately that didn't work. I tried it several times and it failed each time where the install CD would get stuck in a loop. It's been a little while so I can't remember the details but it would get stuck in a loop and the only way out was to power down the machine. Any other suggestions?

Gator Tech

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2014, 08:06:49 pm »
I am having this issue as well and need some help from the forum. This is a standard Microsoft small business server installation configuration whereas C:\ is a small boot drive with the Op. Sys. on it and configuration files and D:\ is the Raid 1 Mirrored Storage drive with two large TB on up drives to store the Backup of C:\  and all company files and folders on as the main file server storage drive. My implementation is similar in that I have a custom Dell Xenon server I purchased used with raid hardware capability, a C drive 500GB, DVD drive and two 500gb Drives hopefully in RAID 1 as drive D or the Second Mounted storage drive. I will apologize in advance for not being a Linux guru. This needs an answer as this is huge for Zentyal. This is a standard configuration for most MS SMB servers and conversion sales will be based on maintaining this kind of setup. I know a little about Linux and UNIX servers though and this should also not be that big of a problem to solve as I know that Linux based partition editing tools can see multiple mounted and unmounted drives at once.

StuartNaylor

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2014, 08:22:26 pm »
I didn't get exactly what your problem is. There are a lot of considerations when it comes to RAID and Dells PERC raid cards.

With RAID there is one thing that isn't often mentioned by sales teams or manufactures. That is your single dedicated RAID card goes down you need exactly the same model to be sure you can ever read those disks again.

As a generalisation to RAID with linux many sysadmins would suggest not using hardware RAID unless it is high end with many spindles.
This is mainly due to the fact that the Software RAID in linux doesn't have the dedicated hardware raid problems and unless its is a high end many spindle affair you will not see much if even any performance increase.

Problem is windows didn't support software raid and used hardware but Linux does.

There are drivers for PERC cards but I have found the linux drivers tend to be mainly for Redhat and Ubuntu is problematic especially with older cards.

You can specify advanced disk options in the expert setup but also it is so easy to mount drives on a linux system that you might as well do it after.

Then community can guide you through mounting drives and there is a raft of information online with howto's abundent.

Finding a PERC driver might be your hardest hurdle. Then the question to using it is also quite big.

Gator Tech

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2014, 11:00:09 pm »
Succinct: I need to know how to mount a secondary drive from within Zentyal 3.3 or 3.4 installed with Linux software raid enabled so that the drive is in RAID 1 mirroring with two drives acting as one secondary hard drive for file storage. 

StuartNaylor

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2014, 11:49:49 pm »
http://www.ducea.com/2009/03/08/mdadm-cheat-sheet/

The command line way.

For those not so up on linux then webmin is a great compliment to zentyal.

http://www.webmin.com/deb.html

do the
Code: [Select]
apt-get install perl libnet-ssleay-perl openssl libauthen-pam-perl libpam-runtime libio-pty-perl apt-show-versions python
before install. Webmin allows you to create arrays and mount drives through a gui.

your mirror will prob turn up as md0 (which I presume multiple disk 0, dunno actually but prob nothing to do with macdonalds)

Mount that in fstab so it is there at boot.

You can either create a directory in root and mount it there or any folder.

Have a look at that and get a feel for things.

Post any further questions.

PS with webmin create a network service called webmin for port 10000. Then allow in the firewall locally.
https://localhost:10000

« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 11:53:49 pm by StuartNaylor »

Gator Tech

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2014, 01:47:33 am »
Thanks, I will try out and let you know how it went! Follow up on 7/2/2014 Hey all I reloaded 3.4 and created my secondary RAID 1 array with no problems. Pretty neat just did not have time the first time around loading 3.3 to quickly. However I am still running into a bit of an annoyance really. Although 3.4 has great RAID and file share capabilities, it seems lacking in the File Server arena. I 'd like to see a module made strictly for management of files like databases etc..a that are on a secondary drive with drive manager links etc... So that you can see what is on the drive and maintain it as well.  my 2 cents.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 07:22:56 pm by Gator Tech »

Gator Tech

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2014, 09:43:54 pm »
Still kind of lost on trying to see the drive in Zentyal. I have md0 but it does not show up as an available disk under disk management. being a complete Linux/Ubuntu noob, I am obviously not knowing how to mount the drive and make it active. Anyone have a stick for the blind man here? 8)

StuartNaylor

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2014, 01:10:33 am »
There is no disk management in zentyal?

Google fstab and mounting. Webmin would do it for you.

disk uuids are probably the best method to name the drive

blkid /dev/md0
nano /etc/fstab
# <file system> <mount point>   <type>  <options>       <dump>  <pass>
# / was on /dev/sda2 during installation
UUID=c91584c2-fd30-4955-ac42-6891e0ffed8b /               ext4    errors=remount-ro 0       1
# /samba was on /dev/sda3 during installation
UUID=455b6a83-9f13-4672-b327-80ce4e86abba /samba/users          btrfs   defaults,subvol=users        0       0
UUID=455b6a83-9f13-4672-b327-80ce4e86abba /samba/groups          btrfs   defaults,subvol=groups        0       0
UUID=455b6a83-9f13-4672-b327-80ce4e86abba /samba/shares          btrfs   defaults,subvol=shares        0       0
# swap was on /dev/sda1 during installation
UUID=5a174fde-de86-4bf8-a0d8-825b41fc2dca none            swap    sw              0       0
/dev/sr0        /media/cdrom0   udf,iso9660 user,noauto     0       0

There is an example of some btrfs drives.

Have you partitioned and formatted the drive?

Gator Tech

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2014, 06:03:04 pm »
Stewart  you wrote "No disk management in Zentyal?" I am a bit confused  here, did you mean to put an exclamation point instead of question mark or are you indeed asking me a question.

StuartNaylor

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2014, 07:10:12 pm »
Sorry yes was confused "does not show up as an available disk under disk management"

You got it sorted though?

Gator Tech

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2014, 06:06:06 pm »
Stuart, first let me say thank you for the support you have given. I kind of went off the reservation and loaded Unity desktop and g parted on my system. Probably really screwed it up but I was able to "see" the disks through gparted and format them and configure them. Stll not seeing them though in zentyal's disk manager. It see's the raid mirror just fine though.
That brings up File server and the needs to have a graphical user interface. In all my years of working around servers and not necessarily with them I understand the Gui versus command line argument better than most. I have worked with large server installations for defense contractors. So IMHO I am in firm beleif that Zyntyal really short changed itself with not having an optional Gui for us Evil Noobs from Microsoft. It comes down to useability. I am reminded of a graphic I've seen on FB where Apple, MS and Linux are compared to a toy dog, a German Sheppard and a wolf respectively. The toy looking cute butr pretty much useless, the Sheppard a friend that gets sick but its the users fault and the wolf that can be your best friend but needs lots of training and no-one can help with. In short if Zyntyal really wants to be the premiere SB Server then its going to have to integrate an optional gui desktop and file management with better hardware integration and management of the drives. The thing that I am scratching my head on is that it looks as if with unity and gparted, the basic's are already out there to be modularized.
So back to problem. I can in unity see the drive but my Fstab is not quite correct and needs updating. I formatted the drive with ext4 and even gave it a 1GB swap partition just to play with it. In short, it looks as if I really need to know about Ubuntu server before messing with Zentyal as its basically just a modular overlay of a basic server. Not so hot for us MS guys looking for a "Quick" solution to upgrading from MS SBS2003 as Zentyal likes to promote. Not a complaint so much as a critique on useability and more importantly saleability of the corporate version. One last thing I would add is that I think a lot of the confusion with Zentyal and others is they want a robust server that does it all like MS SBS. Well one of the most over looked things that I think even MS overlooked is that SBS was never a true server. It was a small business tool to do the things that small business needed to do in the it arena on a much smaller scale and most importantly an easier and automated way. In other words my problems I am having are indicative of what the normal SBS customer would have. We are not IT experts or even 20 something instant guru's with a smart phone and youtube. We are middle mangers that are tasked to runt the thing in the corner their with the spaghetti on top of it!  Make it work, and we're going oh crap! I know little about Linux but I can work a mouse! So Zentyal needs to become not just more like a German Sheppard but a trained German Sheppard at that! A taller order than just being a secure server that works at everything! I think it's very capable of doing it, it just need to be worked on a bit and modularized.

StuartNaylor

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2014, 06:24:05 pm »
Lol, just quickly.

You can use a windows client logged in as administrator afterwards.

Not what you want to hear but do a reinstall as get rid of all that bumf.

Also get a ubuntu desktop live CD if you need to create your disks in a GUI first. Then do the install.

I find the installer pretty good but always choose the expert install. Wish it wasn't called expert as there is nothing expert about it.

How do you want to set up your drives?

Single system partition and /home on raid with the shares and stuff?

Personally choose expert install and post I am browsing tonight so will get back.

Its either that TV or WoT :)
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 06:26:18 pm by StuartNaylor »

Gator Tech

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2014, 06:55:35 pm »
Will do on the reload, but first I really like gparted as it allows me to visualize the drive and see what needs to be done then does it. so Why you no like? Just curious as i use it on Windows and it works well their when i need it.   

Disks. I have three disks 500GB each. I want a primary boot disk "C" with the op sys on it and all modules from Zentyal on the first 500GB drive. Then I want a 500GB mirrored drive D for all the files, user shares, archives etc. accessible from Windows clients. Last time I installed I was able to create the mirror but was unable to format or see it anywhere within Zentyal except as a mirrored RAID that was working.
When I tried to create a share it errored out saying it could not find it and not knowing the correct path name explicitly, I was lost. That is why I say xommand line is great for a basic server or the farm with Guru's and code junkies, but it really sucks for us guys trying to get things working yesterday without a PhD in computational analytics or root code creation.