Author Topic: cannot access Zentyal remotely  (Read 9115 times)

No Smile

• Zen Apprentice
  • meep* meep*
    • View Profile
cannot access Zentyal remotely
« on: May 28, 2012, 06:50:15 am »
hi guys,

i was able to login remotely (from outside the network) to my Zentyal (SSH, SFTP, https://) fine until yesterday. Right now the only choice is to access it locally from within my home network.

the probably only thing I did yesterday was installing a Gigabit card on that server (i.e. now it has 2 cards, but i only use the new Gigabit), then config same Static IP, same Gateway and DNS.

i also noticed

My Zentyal has been setup n running since the last 2 months or so. Does this mean my kinda "trial" period has stopped and now I need to upgrade to be able to access it remotely?

Or was it more like something on my end that I did/changed yesterday?

Please help,
meep* meep*

robb

Re: cannot access Zentyal remotely
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2012, 12:59:25 pm »
Are you running dyndns client on your server? If so, can you check your dyndns updatelog? See if the las known ip address for dyndns is the same as your actual ipaddress.

You can force a dyndns update by stopping ddclient, force another ip address and restart ddclient in a terminal.
    stop the normal instance of ddclient: 'sudo /etc/init.d/ddclient stop' (without quotes)
    force a value by running: 'sudo ddclient -use=ip -ip=1.2.3.4 -daemon=0' (without quotes)
    start the normal instance of ddclient:  'sudo /etc/init.d/ddclient start' (without quotes)

No Smile

• Zen Apprentice
  • meep* meep*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 03:59:49 am »
hi robb, thank you for getting back to me,

I don't think so, no. Unless if it was setup and enabled by default when Zentyal was installed. I don't remember having configuring it at all.

Also on my Dashboard, it shows Cannot connect to the Cloud and asking me to check /var/logs/openvpn. When I checked it it shows multiple "Cannot connect to server zentyal.me ... or something in that context"

Do you think this and the issue I'm having with are related to each other?
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 04:04:48 am by No Smile »
meep* meep*

jjmontes

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Monk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 04:55:18 am »
What was the name you were using in order to connect via ssh and http from outside?

1) If you were accessing it using your external IP and now you cannot, it is likely related to the changes you did  (check if your ethernet number changed, as you may need to review firewall rules).

2) If you were using a zentyal.me name, then it could be related to the cloud connection. If your cloud connection is not working, try restarting the openvpn module, but first check the point above.

Hope that helps!

No Smile

• Zen Apprentice
  • meep* meep*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2012, 08:04:11 am »
hi jjmontes,

thank you for your help, i'm still a novice n learning about ubuntu/zentyal and s0 lost with this

1. To access my server, i've always used the real/Internet IP to connect to it i.e 132.xxx.xxx.xxx. Right now accessing this IP from within my LAN is okay, but when i'm outside the network I can't connect. Pinging won't respond as well.

Not sure if this is what you meant, but i just went in and under Network => Interfaces => choose the eth1 (the new Gigabit card) => enable External WAN. It then asked me to create new Firewall rules. So what i did:

Section External networks to Zentyal:
- Added new service HTTPS, Source Any, Destination port 443, ACCEPT
- Enabled SSH/22, ACCEPT

then restart the server. Nothing changed.

Changes saved

The process produced some warning messages:

Cannot contact Zentyal Cloud: Server vpn2.cloud.zentyal.com not found via DNS server ns.cloud.zentyal.com,xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx, xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx. Reason: query time

2. In my Dashboard I see my External servername listed as myserver.zentyal.me although I never actually used this but used the IP instead.

- Is there something else I need to add/change to the Firewall?
In my original setup (eth0), I remember the only time I actually went into Firewall and make addition to it, was when i configured Samba.

- Do you think a simple switch back to eth0 will fix all this for me? :( or the original settings is already gone?

« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 08:06:52 am by No Smile »
meep* meep*

christian

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2012, 08:29:54 am »
Is there a misunderstanding of what Zentyal cloud provides and why you should or should not use such service ?

robb

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2012, 10:24:37 am »
If you always used external IP to connect, then this should still be possible. Is there any chance that your external IP has changed?

Also, you added services for https manually. (you created the https service and added it to be allowed in 'external to Zentyal' rules) However, there is already a preconfigured rule for that you only have to allow. It is called eBox administration.

Can you post your network config: ip addresses and subnets for the nics you used, how they are tagged (internal/external) and how your router/modem is connected?

No Smile

• Zen Apprentice
  • meep* meep*
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2012, 07:54:43 am »
Hi guys,

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner.

@christian: I've understood that Zentyal Cloud provides services such as auto backup of Zentyal server's configuration and such. And the problem I had may have something to do with that. Is it correct? Please let me know.

@robb: hi robb, no the external IP was never changed. It is an assigned static IP which would never change, and I didn't make the change on the interface itself.

I figured all hell started breaking loose around after I added a second network card to the server (I was hoping to increase the transmitting speed.) After a few tries, I took out the new card, and restored the server to its working state a few weeks ago. It is now working as it should, and I'm able to connect to it remotely by several methods.

(Just in case anybody runs into the same issue as mine. Here's what I tried
- Still kept 2 network cards, restored image => still a no no
- Took out old network card (the one from the beginning), use only 2nd card => no no no
- Took out new card, and restored image successfully.

A friend of mine told me if I add a second card, or replace the old card, there's a certain file somewhere in /etc/init.d/udev that needs to be updated. If you're interested take a look at: http://www.davebour.com/linux/changing-network-card-in-ubuntu.html and https://help.ubuntu.com/10.04/serverguide/network-configuration.html)

Thank you all for listening and suggesting solutions. I really appreciate all your help.
meep* meep*